FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Idea- First Meetings in the Beanderverse? Shadowverse?

Author Topic: Idea- First Meetings in the Beanderverse? Shadowverse?
MidnightBlue
Member # 6146

- posted      Profile for MidnightBlue   Email MidnightBlue         Edit/Delete Post 
I was thinking about it the Shadow series and about First Meetings, and I was thinking about how cool it would be to meet some of the people who make appearances in the Shadow books. Wouldn't it be great to read a short story or something on how Anton and/or Volescu got into their line of work? Or how about a story on how Sister Carlotta came to realize that her calling was to test street urchins for the IF? I'd love to read an account of exactly what happened in the clean room before/while it was shut down, and what was happening in Volescu's head as it was all going on. A short story on how Achilles came to be in a position to take over Poke's crew, or a story about how Poke got the crew in the first place would be really cool. Where did she get her name?

These are short stories that I would love to read, but I don't know where they would go. They wouldn't really belong in First Meetings IMO, because they aren't fully a part of the Enderverse. But I could see a First Meetings-type book for Bean.

Any thoughts or additional story suggestions? Or does everyone think it's a totally lame idea?

Posts: 1547 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puppy
Member # 6721

- posted      Profile for Puppy   Email Puppy         Edit/Delete Post 
"Beanderverse" is one of my favorite words now.
Posts: 1539 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
>.<
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
Mmm. I like "Beanderverse" myself. [Big Grin]
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sid Meier
Member # 6965

- posted      Profile for Sid Meier   Email Sid Meier         Edit/Delete Post 
interesting though, those ideas aren't exactly what most people would want to read imo but your on the right track. I'm more interested on short stories involving the littler known characters in the Ender/Beanderverse; such as han tzu, crazy tom, shen, fly molo and of course a story about alai before battleschool and after it back on earth.
Posts: 1567 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Catseye1979
Member # 5560

- posted      Profile for Catseye1979   Email Catseye1979         Edit/Delete Post 
Not sure why but I've always wanted to know what happened to Sargent and the rest of the crew, after he found Poke's body he figured out that it was probly Achilles that killed her there is no mention to what happned to him after Achilles left them.
Posts: 147 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
A Rat Named Dog
Member # 699

- posted      Profile for A Rat Named Dog   Email A Rat Named Dog         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, give the poor guy a break! Let him write something new, for crying out loud!
Posts: 1907 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL]
Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
osc'solderthanmeafterall
Member # 7054

- posted      Profile for osc'solderthanmeafterall   Email osc'solderthanmeafterall         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Oh, give the poor guy a break! Let him write something new, for crying out loud!
That's why we love OSC so much -- there are so many interesting, well developed characters that we wonder about even the minor ones. Christie
Posts: 24 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sid Meier
Member # 6965

yeah... weird most readers just fall in love with the major characters and thats that but with Mr. Card we love practically ALL of his characters, woo.
Posts: 1567 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jqueasy
Member # 7085

- posted      Profile for Jqueasy   Email Jqueasy         Edit/Delete Post 
I would love a beandervers first meetings. Maybe even some more peter stories.
Posts: 52 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MidnightBlue
Member # 6146

- posted      Profile for MidnightBlue   Email MidnightBlue         Edit/Delete Post 
Like when he had his monitor?
Posts: 1547 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trance
Member # 6623

- posted      Profile for trance   Email trance         Edit/Delete Post 
A few interesting topics would be Peter and/or Valantine when they had monitors, posibly a whole book from the sadistic mind of Achillies, or a book on Mazer. All of these peek my interests but in my opinion....who cares about carlotta, volescu or sargent? thier stories would certainly be short and barely interesting. (Except to the nuns, mad scientists and survivor homeless!)
Posts: 112 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
osc'solderthanmeafterall
Member # 7054

- posted      Profile for osc'solderthanmeafterall   Email osc'solderthanmeafterall         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I didn't really want to know any more about Volescu. [Eek!] Carlotta, though, is interesting to me. Why would a woman nowadays become a nun? How did she get into the project of screening the kids? She must be really bright too. There's got to be more to her than saying Hail Marys all day. Christie
Posts: 24 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MidnightBlue
Member # 6146

quote:
thier stories would certainly be short
Isn't that the point of a short story? [Taunt]
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
I think a book from the point-of-view of someone who wasn't in Dragon Army in Battle School, but knew Ender would be cool. Like the whole story from the point-of-view of Petra or someone else. But whatever. [Dont Know] I'm pretty sure I'll love anything OSC writes whether or not it is Ender related in any way whatsoever. [Big Grin]
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scottneb
Member # 676

- posted      Profile for scottneb           Edit/Delete Post 
If he wrote the stories you're wanting here, he would have to write new characters for that person to develop with/against. Then, inevitably, you'll want to here about how that person got into their position, and on, and on, and on...

Mr. Card has created a very good thing for himself and to continue writing in that world could possibly taint it. Let it rest as-is. It's requests like those in this thread that drive authors into retirement.

Posts: 1660 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MidnightBlue
Member # 6146

I didn't mean it to sound like I was going to try to get him to write this book, just that I think it'd be cool to read it. And there is a difference, even though it doesn't necessarily come off sounding that way. I sometimes like to live in a world of what-ifs. What if a book like this were written, what kinds of stories would/should/could be in it? But I guess I didn't really make that clear in my first post.
Sid Meier
Member # 6965

THAT! IS EXACTLY WHAT I DO!
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Carlotta, though, is interesting to me. Why would a woman nowadays become a nun?
You might get a better-informed and much quicker reply if you actually went and talked to a nun. [Wink]
Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bigendrnbnfan71112
Member # 7363

- posted      Profile for bigendrnbnfan71112   Email bigendrnbnfan71112         Edit/Delete Post 
i think it would be cool to read the hive queen, the hegemon, and/or the life of human. he doesnt have to write them. it would be extremely difficult im sure but it would be cool
Posts: 8 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jasmine
Member # 7370

- posted      Profile for Jasmine   Email Jasmine         Edit/Delete Post 
I like Steveroger's idea of OSC righting a book from Petra's point of view. It would be interesting to read about what she thought of and what she was going through before and after ender came and was transfered out of Salamander army
Posts: 146 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0range7Penguin
Member # 7337

- posted      Profile for 0range7Penguin           Edit/Delete Post 
I think that if you keep pressuring Mr. Card to write all these books he might snap under the pressure go crazy and do the unthinkable: He could open up the Ender universe to other authers to write in and then we would all have to cry and kill ourselves. So for Mr. Cards sake, for Enders sake, and for all our sakes let the multiple book thing go. If you want to write about cool what ifs in enders universe than do so but dont do what if about books that Mr. Card could write. Let the man have peace! And for all we know a future book could spawn the begging of a whole new series that we will all read and love.
P.S. Happy Valentines day everyone.

Posts: 832 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MidnightBlue
Member # 6146

quote:
I think that if you keep pressuring Mr. Card to write all these books he might snap under the pressure go crazy and do the unthinkable: He could open up the Ender universe to other authers to write in
It's not exactly the unthinkable since it's already been thought of. If you read the forward to (I think) ES it explains that the book was supposed to be written by another author, but at the last minute Card decided that he didn't want to let go of that story and wrote it himself.

Besides, I don't think he would "snap under the pressure" or "go crazy" if he didn't want to write them. He just wouldn't write them.

[ March 13, 2005, 04:18 PM: Message edited by: MidnightBlue ]

Quimby2999
Member # 7044

- posted      Profile for Quimby2999   Email Quimby2999         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I like Steveroger's idea of OSC righting a book from Petra's point of view.
I like the idea of not ruining the series by milking it dry. Plus, we really already know everything worth knowing about Petra. I don't want to find out that she was the result of some government project to create an army of hyper-intelligent female soldiers.

[ February 15, 2005, 06:11 PM: Message edited by: Quimby2999 ]

Posts: 93 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for Ralphie   Email Ralphie         Edit/Delete Post 
Uh huh.
Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ramdac99
Member # 7264

- posted      Profile for Ramdac99   Email Ramdac99         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey I've got an idea, Let's get OSC to write Ender's Game from the perspective of every character. like 20 some-odd books. wha'cha think, "Graff's Game". "Dink's Shadow" all the greats. and why stop there. maybe he can write Speaker from Warmaker's perspective and the Xeno from the point-of-view of Han Fi Tzu's stapler. [Wall Bash]
Posts: 484 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0range7Penguin
Member # 7337

- posted      Profile for 0range7Penguin           Edit/Delete Post 
Han Fi Tzu's stapler count me IN!
Posts: 832 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MidnightBlue
Member # 6146

*shamelessly bumps page then walks away whistling*

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.