FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » I noticed two things when I read Children of the Mind. *SPOILERS*

Author Topic: I noticed two things when I read Children of the Mind. *SPOILERS*
ChocoTuar
Member # 6854

- posted      Profile for ChocoTuar   Email ChocoTuar         Edit/Delete Post 
1) The philosopher on Divine Wind called Peter the first Hegemon. I remember distinctly that the spot of Hegemon was just recently open and Peter thus had a shot at it.

2) The Hive Queen said that they (themselves) have no fear of death. So I wonder: what movtivation did they have to fight against Ender for? At first I thought that they wanted to keep the progress they had made in terms of spacial exploration (their colony worlds), but it wouldn't matter if they were dead (which they had no fear of). Maybe they just fought with Ender because they would rather choose life, but it doesn't sound quite right. Yes, it makes sense, but in this situation it just doesn't seem like the right answer. I think there is a hitch in my logic somewhere. Can you help?

Posts: 29 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sid Meier
Member # 6965

- posted      Profile for Sid Meier   Email Sid Meier         Edit/Delete Post 
1) Consider this way Peter was the Hegemon the only person in the history of the Earth to have succesfully gained 100% control of Earth and leave a successful legacy, all othe Hegemons before him are thus no longer worth mentioning.
Posts: 1567 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sid Meier
Member # 6965

2) I'm certain that the Hive Queen has no fear of death as long as there is other queens to continue her species.
Posts: 1567 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
neo-dragon
Member # 7168

- posted      Profile for neo-dragon           Edit/Delete Post 
I think Sid's right on both counts. It's more like Peter was the first Hegemon of that age of mankind. The pre-colony Hegemons pale in comparison to the one who united the entire planet and let humankind disperse among the stars. Also, the Hive Queens don't fear individual death, but recall what Graff said to Ender in Ender's Game: something to the effect of, 'evolution doesn't produce a species that will allow itself to be wiped out. Individuals may sacrifice themselves, but never a whole species.'
Posts: 1569 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sid Meier
Member # 6965

*thumbs up
ChocoTuar
Member # 6854

Thanks.
Posts: 29 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sid Meier
Member # 6965

no problem
0range7Penguin
Member # 7337

- posted      Profile for 0range7Penguin           Edit/Delete Post 
One other thought in terms to point one is that by the time Children of the Mind takes place it is thousands of years later and history often does not stand the test of time. One example of this is how Ender turned from boy wonder to inhuman monster. Do to their lack of significance when compared to Peter, the other Hegemons might have been lost in time.
Posts: 832 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ChocoTuar
Member # 6854

I would seriously doubt that they were lost to time. Uber technology (compared to now, and we have great ways of keeping record) would not allow anything to be lost. In fact, the only reason things would be lost would be because the technology couldn't get its hands on it.
Eisenoxyde
Member # 7289

- posted      Profile for Eisenoxyde           Edit/Delete Post 
ChocoTuar - Modern technology doesn't trump human behavior and attitudes. Why should we expect people in the future to remember 3000+ years worth of Hegemons? How many presidents can you name without looking? (Hint we are on #43.)

Jesse

Posts: 175 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ChocoTuar
Member # 6854

Very good point.
0range7Penguin
Member # 7337

- posted      Profile for 0range7Penguin           Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the backup Eisenoxyde [Big Grin]
Posts: 832 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.