FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » How old were you..... (Page 0)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: How old were you.....
skrika03
Member # 5930

- posted      Profile for skrika03   Email skrika03         Edit/Delete Post 
Gosh, I was 19 or 20.
Posts: 383 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I was 15 when I read Treason.

It was a couple of years later that I read Ender's Game and then started in on his other stuff.

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Catseye1979
Member # 5560

- posted      Profile for Catseye1979   Email Catseye1979         Edit/Delete Post 
11 or 12. Made the Mistake of starting to read it around 7 at night. Next thing I knew I was reading the last page around 5 AM thinking "wow..... that was a book...."
Posts: 147 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
*ahem*.... [Blushing]

I was, uh, around 35. When someone bought Ender's Game for my kids.........

But I've made up for it by devouring all the OSC books I possibly could between then and now!

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brian_Berlin
Member # 6900

- posted      Profile for Brian_Berlin   Email Brian_Berlin         Edit/Delete Post 
32 - bought for myself.
Posts: 116 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amka
Member # 690

- posted      Profile for Amka   Email Amka         Edit/Delete Post 
I never had a chance to read it when I was 9 or 10. I read it within a year of its being published, after my dad had read it. I was around 15.
Posts: 3495 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jqueasy
Member # 7085

- posted      Profile for Jqueasy   Email Jqueasy         Edit/Delete Post 
23 i think
Posts: 52 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

- posted      Profile for Da_Goat           Edit/Delete Post 
Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
11, I believe.
Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
17. I got into Sci-fi a lot earlier, but it took me that long to find Ender. I read the Homecoming series at 13, but the library didn't have Ender's Game or Speaker for the Dead; they started at Xenocide. I didn't want to read out of order, so...
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
arevoj
Member # 7347

- posted      Profile for arevoj   Email arevoj         Edit/Delete Post 
Seven or eight years ago, so around 31. I picked up a copy of Ender's Game at one of the local bookstores, sat down in the cafe and began to read. When I finally looked up, almost four hours had passed and I was over halfway through the book. I've been hooked since.
Posts: 142 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MidnightBlue
Member # 6146

- posted      Profile for MidnightBlue   Email MidnightBlue         Edit/Delete Post 
14 (about a month and a half before I turned 15)
Posts: 1547 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay
Member # 5786

- posted      Profile for Jay   Email Jay         Edit/Delete Post 
I think I was 15. It was right after I started reading longer novels in HS when my freshman English teacher made us read at least 5 books. Guess it was 87. I had seen my parents reading Stephen R. Donaldson’s Chronicles of Thomas Covenant so I thought I’d give them a try. I think they were nervous I was getting over my head and for Christmas that year Dad got me Ender’s Game and Speaker for the Dead after the local bookstore guy told him how good they were. At first I was like what the heck? You get me a book you’ve never read and don’t know if it’s any good? Not that I said this, but I guess the guy at the store had pointed out how it was the first time someone had one back to back Hugo and Nebula awards. I eventually gave them a try and was instantly hooked of course! Wow…. I’m getting close to being a 2 decade OSCer.
Posts: 2845 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
About 14 I think. I finished the Ender series not long after my 15th birthday, and have since read a whole lot more of his stuff. But Ender's Game was the first.
Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jjmelberg
Member # 7099

- posted      Profile for jjmelberg   Email jjmelberg         Edit/Delete Post 
9th grade. my sister had to read it for a class and gave it me. my life has never been the same since...
Posts: 28 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steev
Member # 6805

- posted      Profile for Steev           Edit/Delete Post 
My dad gives me his books after he reads them. And since I was too busy getting through school I didn't ever go shopping for books to read so I would just read what he passed on to me. By the time my dad discovered Ender's Game in 1996 I was already 27.
Posts: 527 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
my life has never been the same since...
No one who hasn't met a spouse through Hatrack can quite convince me that Ender's Game has made quite as big of an impact on them as it has on me. [Wink]
Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mabus
Member # 6320

- posted      Profile for Mabus   Email Mabus         Edit/Delete Post 
I was in high school--I don't remember the exact year. A friend encouraged me to read it years before, but I had looked it over in the library and thought it was just a lame "gritty war-in-space/hero soldiers" novel. What a fool I had been.....
Posts: 1114 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
urbanX
Member # 1450

- posted      Profile for urbanX   Email urbanX         Edit/Delete Post 
I was in 7th grade. That was 13 years ago. Has it really been that long? As a side note I didn't read Speaker til was 18. Since then I've read every OSC book I could get my hands on.
Posts: 421 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
I was 7.....and then read it again at age 13....and again just recently...
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
neo-dragon
Member # 7168

- posted      Profile for neo-dragon           Edit/Delete Post 
7, eh? That's 1st or 2nd grade, right? Man, I was still reading picture books at that age and some kids were already reading Ender's Game... Anyway, I think I was 16.
Posts: 1569 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
docmagik
Member # 1131

- posted      Profile for docmagik   Email docmagik         Edit/Delete Post 
Another 11 here. And about every five years after that, and it's been a different book each time.
Posts: 1894 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kabederlin
Member # 6304

- posted      Profile for Kabederlin   Email Kabederlin         Edit/Delete Post 
16 here. Read the book in November over the Thanksgiving holidays. I was really confused and I think Ender's Game truely got me back on the right track. I'm 18 now, and it's been about two years and ever since I read Ender's Game and the rest of the saga I find myself asking at every one of life's problems, "What would Ender do?"
Posts: 126 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
I was 19 almost 20 when I read Ender's Game. I'm 25 now.

quote:
But I've made up for it by devouring all the OSC books I possibly could between then and now!

Exactly. My friend (JemmyGrove) who introduced me to OSC's stuff makes fun of me because now I've read more of it than he has! He also introduced me to Hatrack and now I'm the one helping him get used to the forum atmosphere.

I suppose I'm a little obsessive. Is that an oxymoron?

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Katie DeShane
Member # 7026

- posted      Profile for Katie DeShane   Email Katie DeShane         Edit/Delete Post 
November 1994.. six months after I turned 14 years old.

Hidden on a dusty old bookshelf in the back of my 8th grade English Lit teacher's room.

I read many books that year. I can only remember three titles tho.

The Snows of Jaspre
The Dark Half by Stephen King

and of course the one book that singlehandedly changed my entire way of thinking from then on..

Ender's Game

Words won't describe how my changed... so I'll just quote something else that shaped me that year..

quote:

Melissa Etheridge - I Will Never Be The Same
From the album "Yes I Am"

So you walked with me for a while
Bared your naked soul
And you told me of your plan
How you would never let them know

In the morning of the night
You cried a long lost child
And I tried oh I tried to hold you

But you were young
And you were wild

Chorus:
But, I , I will never be the same
Oh, I , I will never be the same
Caught in your eyes
Lost in your name
I will never be the same

Secrets of your life
I never wanted for myself
But you guarded them like a lie
Placed up on the highest shelf
In the morning of the night
When I woke to find you gone
I knew your distant devil
Must be draggin' you along

Chorus:
But, I , I will never be the same
Oh, I , I will never be the same
Caught in your eyes
Lost in your name
I will never be the same

And you swore that you were bound for glory
And for wanting you had no shame
But I loved you
And then I lost you
And I will never be the same

Posts: 23 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
Yep 7....and it was 1st Grade......the rest of my class was just then learning to read....the teacher would set me off in a corner to read while everyone else learned......I look back on it now and realize why everyone hated me.....but whatever.......
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
13, just a few years ago. I'd just started high school, and my English teacher took us all down to the library, mostly because she wanted to make sure everyone checked out something for a project. Truth is, I ended up choosing Ender's Game mostly because of its proximity to Michael Crichton's books (Jurassic Park, The Andromeda Strain). [Big Grin]

--j_k

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dread Pendragon
Member # 7239

- posted      Profile for Dread Pendragon   Email Dread Pendragon         Edit/Delete Post 
Late 20s. My mom had been on my case for years to read it and I finally gave in. Thank goodness for moms!
Posts: 159 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Szymon
Member # 7103

- posted      Profile for Szymon   Email Szymon         Edit/Delete Post 
I was 14 and read EG in english. My first book read in a foreign language:)
Posts: 723 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ksig
Member # 5625

- posted      Profile for Ksig   Email Ksig         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh i don't know. I think I was on a soccer trip and my mom had just finished reading it and said it was a good book, i think i was 9 or 10, and ever since then i've been hooked. I've read it about ten times since i think (no joke), i'm 15 now. I'm trying to read everything of OSC i can, but i'm not allowed to read homebody or lostboys i guess, so i won't be able to read EVERYTHING yet...
Posts: 27 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

I wouldn't have any problem with my 15 year old reading Homebody...

but Lost Boys ....yeah. I even had trouble with that one myself as an adult. I probably would try to steer my kids away from it.

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sid Meier
Member # 6965

- posted      Profile for Sid Meier   Email Sid Meier         Edit/Delete Post 
15 give or take grade 9; found it on ym english teahcers desk and umm... "borrowed it"....... and umm.... "returned" it ya umm... made me fall in love with science fiction. I find the audio casset is cr*p. The skip sentances and they don't even bother changing the voice actors.
Posts: 1567 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jasmine
Member # 7370

- posted      Profile for Jasmine   Email Jasmine         Edit/Delete Post 
I was 11-12. I thought it was boring until I skipped to a part that said laser gun [Big Grin] Then I had to start from the very beginning.
Posts: 146 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0range7Penguin
Member # 7337

- posted      Profile for 0range7Penguin           Edit/Delete Post 
Does any one else find this beutifull. (Tear) I mean we can all think of when and how OSC changed our lives. I mean thats pretty powerfull if you ask me. It makes me happy. Also happy valentines day everybody. [Smile] [Smile]
Posts: 832 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fusiachi
Member # 7376

- posted      Profile for Fusiachi   Email Fusiachi         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't remember. Presumable I was around 13; all that I'm sure of is that my first copy of EG came from a Borders in York, PA.

[ February 14, 2005, 04:07 PM: Message edited by: Fusiachi ]

Posts: 433 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I actually read Prentice Alvin first. And I STILL prefer the first three Alvin Maker books to all but Speaker for the Dead.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ramdac99
Member # 7264

- posted      Profile for Ramdac99   Email Ramdac99         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey SteveRogers, ya wanna toot that horn a little louder, I was a fetus when I.... ^_^ just kidding. I was 22 when I read EG.

[ February 14, 2005, 04:56 PM: Message edited by: Ramdac99 ]

Posts: 484 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frosted Pheonix
Member # 7419

- posted      Profile for Frosted Pheonix   Email Frosted Pheonix         Edit/Delete Post 
I was fifteen when I asked my freshman honors english teacher for book recommendations. I remember him listing a few classical books I'd either already read, or sounded too 'boring' at the time.. and then Ender's Game. My first adventure into anything science fiction/fantasy. I remember that particular sleepless night, and the many that followed while I devoured the rest of the series. That same teacher also introduced me to Shakespeare, and I think I've reread Macbeth almost as many times as EG.
Posts: 5 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

from his bio:
quote:
Card's first published fiction appeared in 1977 -- the short story "Gert Fram" in the July issue of The Ensign, and the novelet version of "Ender's Game" in the August issue of Analog.
So... let's see - in 1977 I was in high school (junior year). Then he wrote Ender's Game in the mid-1980's, it says. So I don't feel so bad that I was an adult before I read him -- I guess there was no way I could have been exposed much earlier, being this close to him in age...

[Big Grin] Farmgirl

ctm
Member # 6525

- posted      Profile for ctm   Email ctm         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the rationalizing, Farmgirl, that makes me feel a little better! I was probably 36 or 37 the first time I read it. Better late than never, eh?
Posts: 239 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mimsies
Member # 7418

- posted      Profile for mimsies   Email mimsies         Edit/Delete Post 
I was 32 (last year). My five year old just read the original Ender's Game short story a few days ago.

I'm the mom, I'm allowed to toot his horn!

Posts: 772 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
I read Treason and Capitol when I was 15 or 16 -- that was around 1982/83. Then I didn't read any more OSC (or other SF really) until after college -- I think I started with Ender's Game ~'92. Speaker for the Dead is my fave.
Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
St. Yogi
Member # 5974

- posted      Profile for St. Yogi   Email St. Yogi         Edit/Delete Post 
I was 15 when I read Ender's Game for the first time.
Posts: 739 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
I was probably 19 or 20 when a friend recommended it to me. I wasn't all that impressed by it, but he convinced me to give Card another chance with Speaker for the Dead. After reading that I was hooked.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Soara
Member # 6729

- posted      Profile for Soara   Email Soara         Edit/Delete Post 

just kidding. 12. and to be different, i'll say i read it in a week and a half. [Big Grin] [Wink]

Posts: 464 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Little_Doctor
Member # 6635

- posted      Profile for Little_Doctor   Email Little_Doctor         Edit/Delete Post 
I was 11 when I read Enders Game. I didnt like it at first, but then I had to read it again for school last year, and I loved it!
Posts: 1401 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theamazeeaz
Member # 6970

- posted      Profile for theamazeeaz   Email theamazeeaz         Edit/Delete Post 
I was 16 when I first read Ender's game. A friend of mine was reading a tatered, aged hardcover of Xenocide in homeroom. The book looked like the epitome of bad eighties sci-fi (can someone EXPLAIN the covers to me). But there was something about the way that she said the book was amazing that made me remember the title and author in the school library that day. Even though I never read them all, I was never satisfied if I couldn't find at least three books to take home with me. I hunted down Xenocide and discovered it was the third in a trilogy; Ender's Game was there, so I took that instead. The rest is history. That was two and a half years ago.
Posts: 1757 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vadon
Member # 4561

- posted      Profile for Vadon           Edit/Delete Post 
10 for me... Ah fifth grade... Fun year! Though, perhaps reading it at that young and reading what Peter was talking about wasn't so good for me... Kinda... changed a few things, what with my plans for world domination from 5th-7th grade... heheh.
Posts: 1831 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UTAH
Member # 5032

- posted      Profile for UTAH   Email UTAH         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't believe that so many of you read Ender's Game at such a young and tender age. I started reading it to my sixth graders once and found that I couldn't.
I actually read Seventh Son, etc. first. Then a friend told me that her husband really liked Ender's Game, but told her she probably wouldn't like it. I thought I'd give it a try and it instantly became my favorite book of all time. I started trying to get everyone I know to read it. I was in my 30's.

Posts: 277 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
adamsfrood42
Member # 7464

- posted      Profile for adamsfrood42   Email adamsfrood42         Edit/Delete Post 
I was in 8th grade. My teachers used to call me quote-unquote "gifted," but I can't imagine what they'd say if they found some of you guys, reading EG at SEVEN...

Anyway, you asked exact age. It was right at the beginning of the school year, so I had either just turned 14 or it was a few weeks before my 14th birthday...I read it in 2 days [Big Grin]

Posts: 11 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.