FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » wouldnt u like to read...

Author Topic: wouldnt u like to read...
bigendrnbnfan71112
Member # 7363

- posted      Profile for bigendrnbnfan71112   Email bigendrnbnfan71112         Edit/Delete Post 
im not saying osc should write these, but wouldn't it be cool to read the hive queen, the hegemon, and/or the life of human. what ur take? [Dont Know] [Smile]
Posts: 8 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bigendrnbnfan71112
Member # 7363

- posted      Profile for bigendrnbnfan71112   Email bigendrnbnfan71112         Edit/Delete Post 
i mean it would just be amazing to see what ender was thinking and what was written. [Big Grin]
Posts: 8 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bigendrnbnfan71112
Member # 7363

who can guess what my login says? its pretty obvious.
Eisenoxyde
Member # 7289

- posted      Profile for Eisenoxyde           Edit/Delete Post 
No, those books should never be written. Regardless of whatever is written, it would fail horribly. It would not satisfy anyone and disappoint everyone.

While I love everything Mr. Card has written and have daydreamed of books I'd like to see him write, I understand there are limitations to his imagination and talent, especially if it came to quasi-religious books.

Jesse

Posts: 175 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
neo-dragon
Member # 7168

- posted      Profile for neo-dragon           Edit/Delete Post 
How does one actually write the books which were supposed to be so powerful that they changed mankind? Nothing OSC (or any other real-life author) could write would live up to what the books are supposed to represent. It's the kind of thing which really has to be left to the imagination of the reader.
Posts: 1569 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
urbanX
Member # 1450

- posted      Profile for urbanX   Email urbanX         Edit/Delete Post 
I think it would take away from the magic if he wrote the books. How do you write a book that spawned its on religion?
Posts: 421 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
Agreed with other comments -- book shouldn't be written because it would fail to live up to its reputation. Just like Songmaster will (should) never be made into a musical because nobody could do justice to the music.

As to your name -- does it mean there are seventy-one thousand, one hundred one bigger fans of bi-gendered Nubians than you?

Welcome to Hatrack.

--Pop

Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ginol_Enam
Member # 7070

- posted      Profile for Ginol_Enam           Edit/Delete Post 
You know, I wrote a post very much like the ones above, but then I went and read the first three posts instead (which probably should have been edited into one...) and realized that the above posts are completely ignoring the actual question.

Anyway...

I, too, would like to read the books. It would be very interesting.

[ February 07, 2005, 12:59 AM: Message edited by: Ginol_Enam ]

Posts: 450 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Szymon
Member # 7103

- posted      Profile for Szymon   Email Szymon         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Eisenoxyde. It's kind of a symbol, isn't it? It's as if the Moses's Ark was found. Or an ancient treasure. Some things are really famous just because their a mistery, aren't they?
Posts: 723 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brian_Berlin
Member # 6900

- posted      Profile for Brian_Berlin   Email Brian_Berlin         Edit/Delete Post 
>>bigendrnbnfan71112>wrote>>
quote:
who can guess what my login says? its pretty obvious.
Bi Gender Nubian Fan from Bossier City?

Just kidding! [Smile]

[ February 07, 2005, 09:47 AM: Message edited by: Brian_Berlin ]

Posts: 116 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MidnightBlue
Member # 6146

- posted      Profile for MidnightBlue   Email MidnightBlue         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
As to your name -- does it mean there are seventy-one thousand, one hundred one bigger fans of bi-gendered Nubians than you?

[Laugh] [ROFL]
Posts: 1547 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raylborn
Member # 7344

- posted      Profile for Raylborn   Email Raylborn         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow thats a crazy idea! That would be soo cool, but complicated to. He should continue with everything, EG series should never end [Big Grin]
Posts: 7 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Proteus
Member # 794

- posted      Profile for Proteus   Email Proteus         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

Moose, sometimes I love you more than I think we should be comfortable with.
Posts: 200 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sid Meier
Member # 6965

- posted      Profile for Sid Meier   Email Sid Meier         Edit/Delete Post 
lol...

i dont think those books should be written cuz I agree that they wouldn't do the idea of it any justice.

I'm thinking..... big ender fan?

Posts: 1567 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pythian
Member # 7080

- posted      Profile for Pythian   Email Pythian         Edit/Delete Post 
i personally would like to read them, however they would make a terible book, maybe, he could put it up in a post tor something, or a Short Story?

--->big ender 'n' Bean fan. confused about the 71112 part, can anyone guess where my name came from? i find it clever.(check a dictionary)

Posts: 53 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Objectivity
Member # 4553

- posted      Profile for Objectivity           Edit/Delete Post 
I think The Hive Queen would be the length of a short story, but The Hegemon would be an interesting book. It would be Peter's interpretation of all the other Ender books.

Can you imagine his spin on any of the events that occured? Would he try to explain things away, or would he take full responsibilty for all his actions? How would he talk about the vids of the squirels that Val made?

Imagine a book by Teddy Roosevelt or Ronald Reagan going back over every intimate detail of his life with the perspective of life to explain it.

Posts: 50 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
urbanX
Member # 1450

I think that's pretty much the point of the last three books in the Shadow series.
Posts: 421 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0range7Penguin
Member # 7337

- posted      Profile for 0range7Penguin           Edit/Delete Post 
I think it would take away some of what makes the idea of speakers for the dead so powerfull. These two and eventually three almost magical books that started a quasireligion that stretch across the casmos. Right now its however the reader whants to imagine it if a difininive copy come out I think it would disapoint alot of people. The bar has been set to high.
Posts: 832 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ramdac99
Member # 7264

- posted      Profile for Ramdac99   Email Ramdac99         Edit/Delete Post 
Those books were meant as a tool to show the power of Ender's way of thinking. The actual words are inconsequential due to the fact that there are no buggers in the real world. It wouldn't take a lot to convince us readers that the hive queen is really a beautiful creature with a beautiful culture. We already think that. The challenge in the novel was to convince a world of ppl who hated the buggers to see them that way. As for the Hegemon, we as the readers already have an insiders view of Peter Wiggin, we know he needed to be the way he was in order to unify humanity, so that too would be conveying information that anyone who read the Ender quartet already knows and understands.
Posts: 484 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for Ralphie   Email Ralphie         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Bi Gender Nubian Fan from Bossier City?
Fabulous.
Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jqueasy
Member # 7085

- posted      Profile for Jqueasy   Email Jqueasy         Edit/Delete Post 
I would definiatly pick them up, if i would be able to make it through them that is a diffent story. It would just depend on how he would write them. Very few non-fiction books interest me, but a piece of fiction writen as non-fiction would be interesting.
Posts: 52 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Szymon
Member # 7103

- posted      Profile for Szymon   Email Szymon         Edit/Delete Post 
I do not imagine any of you entering a shop, spotting "Queen of the Hive" or "Man's life" and not buying it [Smile]
Posts: 723 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0range7Penguin
Member # 7337

I agree that we would all buy it but we would also probably all hate it. It wouldn't be what we expected or wanted.
Posts: 832 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dread Pendragon
Member # 7239

- posted      Profile for Dread Pendragon   Email Dread Pendragon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
especially if it came to quasi-religious books
His books ARE "quasi-religious books," and dagnabit, I like them that way! [Smile] It is hard for anyone to write much without putting their own beliefs in the text, and OSC is a religious man. And not only does it end up in there naturally, he does it on purpose. It's kind of hard for Homecoing and the Alvin Maker series to not be quasi-religious when they are historical fictions of religion/scripture.
Posts: 159 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0range7Penguin
Member # 7337

Were exactly does the Alvin Maker series delve into religion. I always felt it was all based on a warped version of history, and American & Native American Lore.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
The character, Alvin Maker, departs radically from fact, but is based on Joseph Smith. There's religious thought all through the books, you just have to know how to spot it. What do you think the whole battle with the Unmaker is?
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0range7Penguin
Member # 7337

I didn't know that. Who is the unmaker then if it somehow relates to Joseph Smith. I always thought it was either something OSC came up with or a representation of the devil. Also what would make me aware of the Joseph Smith representation? Would I have to read the Book of Mormon or something else?
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't get it until I learned about the life of Joseph Smith. Then the scene in 7th Son *SPOILERS*
where Alvin gets surgery done on his leg and asks only that his father hold him totally tipped me off.

And yes, the Unmaker as Satan makes sense to me.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
adamsfrood42
Member # 7464

- posted      Profile for adamsfrood42   Email adamsfrood42         Edit/Delete Post 
NEVER. [No No] It'd be amazing to read, obviously. But, as other people have posted, there are limitations to everyone's skill, and The Hive Queen and the Hegemon DID spawn a religious following. OSC is a fantastically God-gifted writer, but he's not God himself. It'd disappoint us all and detract from the sparkle of the series.
Posts: 11 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mormo
Member # 5799

- posted      Profile for Mormo           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
but he's [Card's] not God himself
Well, yeah.
No one but poor delusionals or solipsistic jerks think they're God.

My personal opinion is that Card has carried the saga of Ender to it's fitting conclusion (although I haven't read SotG) and he should move on, whether with Alvin or other projects.

Adam[edit: Melissa], you seem to have picked a weird first topic about Card.

I like Douglas Adams also, and didn't know he was dead, I'm sorry to hear that.
Morbo [Frown]

[ March 06, 2005, 04:36 AM: Message edited by: Mormo ]

Posts: 327 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
urbanX
Member # 1450

Friends don't let friends Post While Drunk.
Mormo
Member # 5799

- posted      Profile for Mormo           Edit/Delete Post 
Friends don't let friends Post Tangentially Relevant Posts. [Razz]
Morbo

Posts: 327 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0range7Penguin
Member # 7337

Freinds don't let freinds post their own names wrong.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.