FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Under 1000 posters only..... (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Under 1000 posters only.....
Ramdac99
Member # 7264

- posted      Profile for Ramdac99   Email Ramdac99         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey people. I just thought it might be fun to have a forum that's not constantly being injected with the same perspectives. So if you've posted over 1000 times, get out!! For the rest of you, I have a question for ya': How on earth can some of these people post in the thousands? I mean really, is this all they do? I'd like to have a forum for those of us that love the works of OSC but aren't freaks that do nothing but. I guess what I mean is I want a forum for us "normals". Other than that the forum's open. who's with me?
Posts: 484 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm fascinated by your assumption that you are normal. What evidence do you have to back up this assertion?
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boon
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
You're wierd.

I like it here.

If you don't, you know what you can do: you can stay and try to be part of the change you wish to see, or you can bail.

But don't come into someone else's house and complain about the company.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ramdac99
Member # 7264

Don't really have any evidence TomD except that it took you and your 18,000 posts less than a minute to barge in and pick a fight. And you wonder what I'm trying to avoid you.

and Boon, sorry if i'm weird, I like it here too. I just don't need to hear Ketsup's and Tom's view on everything.

[ February 14, 2005, 04:25 PM: Message edited by: Ramdac99 ]

Posts: 484 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Ah. See, Ramdac, this is not the tone you should be taking with me.

I am a being of light and joy and copious goodwill towards all mankind. I am also an excellent source of chocolate and technical advice.

I do not, however, dispense chocolate or technical advice to just anyone, although it takes genuine effort to lose out on dispensations of goodwill.

Seriously, you don't need to compare post counts here to be a valuable member; we've been known to welcome even the newbiest n00b. You do, however, have to be willing to try to fit into what is an established and fairly successful culture here at this site; some of the people here have been posting for nearly a decade (even before the site itself, actually, back when this was an AOL roleplaying forum), and so there are a few unwritten rules.

If you're interested, I'll be glad to give you the low-down. If you're not, there's no rule that says you have to post -- but it's kinda rude, don't you think, to insult the rest of us while expressing your own dissatisfaction? I mean, really, it's not OUR fault that we've been around a while. [Smile]

I can understand your frustration, BTW. We don't actually talk about Card and his books all that much here, mainly because it's assumed that we've all read 'em and liked 'em. (That's why this side of the forum is so much quieter than the far, far busier Food and Culture side.) If you're looking for a place that's full of really rabid Card fans who do talk about Card all the time (and obsess over the hypothetically coming movie, etc.), I believe people have already recommended the Philotic Web. It's a semi-official (as in, unofficial but occasionally Card-visited) fan site, and probably the best one out there.

The answer, by the way, to "why do these people post so often" is one that I consider pretty fascinating. If you meant that to be a sincere question, I'd be happy to elaborate.

[ February 14, 2005, 04:30 PM: Message edited by: TomDavidson ]

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ramdac99
Member # 7264

O.K. I think we got off to a bad start. I acknowledge the fact that it isn't your "fault" that you have a ton of posts. I'm not trying to alienate the older members so much as get a community of newer members. And yes, not many posts on this sight seem to be very OSC focused. I've meet people on this sight that I enjoy conversing with, but are you telling me is that there is no way for a "newbies only" forum, because anyone can post anywhere? Or perhaps can you older members take it as a request? (i.e. if you've posted over 1000 times Please get out?)
TomDavidson
Member # 124

I can't imagine our hosts creating a "newbies only" forum, although you're certainly welcome to do so. But there are already several "newbies-only" threads (albeit without any enforcement), although such threads tend not to be visited fairly often by newbies or regulars -- mainly because once the newbies get beyond the "hey, hello, I'm new, look at me!" stage, they find themselves posting confidently in threads already well-populated by non-newbies. [Smile]
Ramdac99
Member # 7264

welp, this thread isn't gonna work out....eject!
Boon
unregistered

Really, I don't understand this thinking. Why would newbies be better for you to get to know? Why would I, as having less than 1000 posts, be better for your proposed forum than, say, Ralphie, who doesn't post as frequently anymore but has been here forever?

Why would you want to limit your interactions by barring people? Why not just skip over threads or posts that you don't feel compelled to read?

You know, there's a neat feature on these forums whereby you can look at a list of every thread that's been posted in today, along with a short excerpt of the last post made. I use that frequently to get the gist of a thread.

I'm not trying to attack you or anything, I'm trying to understand your position.

Oh, and I didn't mean that you being wierd was an insult. I'm pretty strange myself.

mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
You know, there's a neat feature on these forums whereby you can look at a list of every thread that's been posted in today, along with a short excerpt of the last post made. I use that frequently to get the gist of a thread.
I feel stupid, but I don't know about that feature. How do I access it?
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boon
unregistered

From here, click "Today's active topics."

Or put this in your favorites folder.

rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Ralphie has not been here forever, for then she would be old. And it is Known that Ralphie is eternally young. Thus, she has been here for Quite Some Time, but not quite Forever.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for Ralphie   Email Ralphie         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm trying to figure out why someone here for all of a month (at most) has decided the "1000+" crowd has already become uninteresting and therefore a n00bie coup is just what this place needs.

To be honest, I always think of this side of the river as the "n00bie forum". Most everyone who spends any time here quickly realizes all the action happens on the Culture Side of the River.

Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0range7Penguin
Member # 7337

- posted      Profile for 0range7Penguin           Edit/Delete Post 
Way to make a jerk out of yourself ramdac. I like hearing the opinios of my elders and possibly wisers. I think its cool to talk to you guys who have led the way here. Don't go away,
Thanks.
-Penguin

Posts: 832 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

Hey, Orange; don't lay it on quite so thick. Sheesh.

And Ramdac, don't feel like you have to bail. Like I said, you're absolutely welcome here, and welcome to participate in -- or start -- as many threads, on as many topics, as you like.

You don't need to take crap from anybody because you're new to these parts; by the same token, you shouldn't go writing off us old farts quite so soon. [Smile] I have it on good authority, for example, that Ralphie's a hottie. *grin*

[ February 14, 2005, 09:44 PM: Message edited by: TomDavidson ]

Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think it's a matter of the "same perspectives." I highly value almost all of the older members of Hatrack and feel that they always have something interesting to say.

But...I do understand feeling like the board (on the other side) is dominated by the same few people. Some days I get on and feel like I can't find a single thread that a certain few posters haven't touched. And I have to admit wondering how these people have that much time to post. But hey, it's not my life and not my place to judge (or so I keep reminding myself!).

*waits for the flames*

space opera

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fusiachi
Member # 7376

- posted      Profile for Fusiachi   Email Fusiachi         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I have it on good authority, for example, that Ralphie's a hottie
Love 'em or hate 'em, if they're hotties, the Hatrack vets can't be all bad.
Posts: 433 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0range7Penguin
Member # 7337

Sorry Tom I didn't mean to sound to harsh [Blushing] Also I have lots of time to post because I am a highschool senior who enjoys posting while I should be writing papers and stuff. [Big Grin]
Posts: 832 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I am also an excellent source of chocolate
I failed to notice. Now, Christy, on the other hand...
Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

As I said, I don't provide chocolate to just anyone. [Wink]
Kama
Member # 3022

[Frown]
Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
How convenient for you, Tom.
Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ramdac99
Member # 7264

hay people, read "My Bad".....and seriously, my bad.
TomDavidson
Member # 124

If it makes you feel any better, Kama, I was present when Christy was making her chocolate purchases. [Smile]
Jay
Member # 5786

- posted      Profile for Jay   Email Jay         Edit/Delete Post 
hmmmm….. chocolate….
Posts: 2845 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scottneb
Member # 676

- posted      Profile for scottneb           Edit/Delete Post 
*checks post count*

Still not a thousand, and still not a nOObie.

I'll never fit in. [Cry]

Posts: 1660 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
You know, I don't necessarily think that the initial idea was really all that bad. There's defenitely a current of "We've already talked about that." in some of the topics that are brought up. The thing is, the newer people haven't talked about it. It's new to them and at times the weariness that the more prominent people display towards the topic acts like a wet blanket. I don't know that I think that creating a separate forum is really the way to go, but it's not like the basic idea is neccesarily this slap in the face.
Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

Well, I don't know. Did you help her choose?
Ralphie
Member # 1565

We've already gone over that concept, Squick. Go use the search engine and stop wasting time.

Sheesh.

Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ramdac99
Member # 7264

quote:
quote:
There's defenitely a current of "We've already talked about that."
quote:
We've already gone over that concept, Squick. Go use the search engine and stop wasting time.

I hope that was a joke Ralphie, just as my use of too many quotes is.......so don't point it out
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

Look number 1565, with your 7305 posts, don't you...wait, *does some quick subtraction*...I mean, err...yes mistress. Whatever you say. Would you like me to bring you some Nescafe and perhaps make some soothing ocean noises?

[ February 15, 2005, 05:43 PM: Message edited by: MrSquicky ]

Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

Ramdac - Pointing out that something is a joke makes it lose it's comedic value. Therefore, I'm am obliged to say that I never joke. Evar.

Squick - Yes. And be naked about it.

the Voice of Reason.
Member # 5787

- posted      Profile for the Voice of Reason.           Edit/Delete Post 
She's right--Ralphie has never told a joke. That worked. [Wink]
Posts: 5 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scottneb
Member # 676

Holy cow!!!

That's a lot of lurking VOR.

Posts: 1660 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

quote:
Ralphie has never told a joke. That worked.
Admittedly, my brilliance is effortless.
scottneb
Member # 676

I don't get it. Was that a joke? [Confused]
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
Why bother even trying to understand life??? Or humour for that matter? As long as everyone is happy and has eaten macaroni and cheese in their lifetime then all is ok. Otherwise when will the nucleaur holocaust begin? [Big Grin]

Ramdac99- Just give the old timers a chance. I did and now they can all truthfully say that they know who I am and that they hate me. [Wink] Maybe if you hang around long enough you'll be saying the same things Tom has been saying to you to some noob.

And about this idea- I don't think I would fit into either category.......I barely fit in here.........if you check out VBS everyone loves me there.........but here.........I'm the gum on the bottom of my own shoe [Razz]

Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ramdac99
Member # 7264

WTFIWWYP
0range7Penguin
Member # 7337

Does anyone relise VBS also stands for "Vacation Bible School"? [ROFL]
Ralphie
Member # 1565

quote:
I don't get it. Was that a joke? [Confused]
Shoosh, you.

quote:
WTFIWWYP
We're probably just suffering from BHTLASWAKAOOOIJALTKNOOTL.

You know how THAT is.

[ February 16, 2005, 01:38 PM: Message edited by: Ralphie ]

Ramdac99
Member # 7264

not really, but I'll take your word for it.
Ramdac99
Member # 7264

quote:
BHTLASWAKAOOOIJALTKNOOTL
Booty huggin' thugz love all smiles with a killer African outfit on, only in June and, like those khazikstani newcomers, only on Thursday, ladies.

[ February 16, 2005, 03:55 PM: Message edited by: Ramdac99 ]

SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
VBS stands for:

Vacation Bible School

Virtual Battle School

Very Burnt Steak

Very Big Starfruit

Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0range7Penguin
Member # 7337

Could any one tell me how to get that little thing that says "quote" and then has the lines above and below it? Thanks.
the Professor
Member # 5319

- posted      Profile for the Professor   Email the Professor         Edit/Delete Post 
Orange, welcome to the forum!--Morbo [Wave]
If you click on the "quote" button below "add reply" and "instant UBB Code?" you get
code:
  [QUOTE]  [/QUOTE] 

Then just put whatever you want to quote between [q.] and [/q.].
Or, you can just type out [q.] [/q] and do the same thing, the button is just a shortcut.
Note that I couldn't finish the word "quote" between the brackets above as it would have called the quote function, not what I wanted. To do it above, I used the "code" button, which puts up [c.] [/c.]. This is when you want something displayed exactly as you have entered it, without any format changes, like a table for example.

--Morbo

Posts: 111 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

Send $19.95 plus shipping and handling to:
quote:
The Quote Factory
De Moines, Iowa
c/o Armand Q. Squicky
P.O. Box #65540

or you could just look here and that'll learn ya'. Of course, then you won't be participating in the great wheel of American commerce that makes it so you are, indirectly, supporting the terrorists. And you don't want to support the terrorists, do you? So send me your checks gosh darnit!

[ February 17, 2005, 12:05 AM: Message edited by: MrSquicky ]

rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey! I never knew how to do lettered/numbered lists before. Awesome.

Thanks, Squick. [Smile]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

quote:
Booty huggin' thugz love all smiles with a killer African outfit on, only in June and, like those khazikstani newcomers, only on Thursday, ladies.
No.

Duh.

suntranafs
Member # 3318

- posted      Profile for suntranafs   Email suntranafs         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The answer, by the way, to "why do these people post so often" is one that I consider pretty fascinating. If you meant that to be a sincere question, I'd be happy to elaborate.

Sincere Question: Why post on hatrack?
Posts: 1103 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

Sincere answer: Because I really like some of the people here, and enjoy chatting in public more than I enjoy E-mailing.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.