FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Where did the EMAIL idea come from?

Author Topic: Where did the EMAIL idea come from?
Locke2525
Member # 7554

- posted      Profile for Locke2525   Email Locke2525         Edit/Delete Post 
Yo osc and fans...
since i havnt been able to attend a book signing....and ask..iw as wondering
before each chapter he ahs emails going back and forth....

where did the idea come from?

and how did you know of Email in the 1980's?

Posts: 65 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
It existed.
Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Locke2525
Member # 7554

- posted      Profile for Locke2525   Email Locke2525         Edit/Delete Post 
well
than ive been had-and im not as educated as some of u..lol
but still
I LOVE the email part
it sets you into the chapter..

where did the inspiration for it come from

Posts: 65 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aeroth
Member # 6269

- posted      Profile for Aeroth   Email Aeroth         Edit/Delete Post 
From e-mails.
Posts: 121 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miro
Member # 1178

- posted      Profile for Miro   Email Miro         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, in Xenocide, Card does basically the same thing, just with conversations, and not email. Lots of authors begin chapters with quotes or something similar. It's not a particularly new idea.
Posts: 2149 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
"than ive been had-and im not as educated as some of u..lol"

I wouldn't call it education. Some of us were using E-mail in the eighties. [Smile]

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Damn, you are old....
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Say that to him when he's got his teeth in and he'll bite you. I'd watch it--he may be old, but *man* is he spry.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Constant Reader
Member # 7282

- posted      Profile for Constant Reader   Email Constant Reader         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, you'll be safe for a while. Tell him to stop leaving his teeth in a glass of water on my bedside table. The effervescent Efferdent has worn off and now they smell!
[Taunt]

Posts: 70 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
neo-dragon
Member # 7168

- posted      Profile for neo-dragon           Edit/Delete Post 
He didn't necessarily have emails in mind in the 80s. Only the last 3 Shadow books begin each chapter with emails. Card did, however, write about the net in EG, and the way he presented it displayed remarkable foresight considering what the internet was in the 80s (barely existed) and what it is now.

By the way, I like how the emails set up things which don't actually happen until later. For example, in Shadow of the Giant,

-- *Very Minor Spoiler*--

One chapter begins with Peter and Virlomi setting up a meeting, but it doesn't actually happen until the next chapter. I also really enjoyed the email exchange between... I think it was, Carn and Dumper? Or was it Carn and Vlad? Where one insisted that living on Eros was better than living in Australia.

[ March 17, 2005, 04:31 PM: Message edited by: neo-dragon ]

Posts: 1569 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.