FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Ender's Game, a hot new RTS game for your PC

Author Topic: Ender's Game, a hot new RTS game for your PC
B-HAX
Member # 6640

- posted      Profile for B-HAX   Email B-HAX         Edit/Delete Post 
Am I the only one that would like to see this happen.
Posts: 70 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Swede
Member # 7560

- posted      Profile for Swede   Email Swede         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I suppose it could be fun. But most likely you just would be disappointed by it anyway so...
Posts: 132 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephan
Member # 7549

- posted      Profile for Stephan   Email Stephan         Edit/Delete Post 
When the movies comes out, some type of game probably won't be far behind.
Posts: 3134 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
A Rat Named Dog
Member # 699

- posted      Profile for A Rat Named Dog   Email A Rat Named Dog         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd like to see an Ender's Game game along the lines of Brothers in Arms, actually.
Posts: 1907 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
How about an Ender's Game text adventure in which you play OSC, struggling to get the Ender's Game movie made.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
Dog, if you'd like that, can't you just, you know, make one?

And Stephan -- I'm guessing that when the game comes out, the movie won't be too far behind.

Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
A Rat Named Dog
Member # 699

- posted      Profile for A Rat Named Dog   Email A Rat Named Dog         Edit/Delete Post 
Pop, don't get me started on that one [Smile]
Posts: 1907 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NinjaBirdman
Member # 7114

- posted      Profile for NinjaBirdman   Email NinjaBirdman         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I'd like to see an Ender's Game game along the lines of Brothers in Arms, actually.
Ooooooo. I hadn't thought of that. That would be awesome. Although the command deally would have to work a bit differently in zero G.
Posts: 204 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puppy
Member # 6721

- posted      Profile for Puppy   Email Puppy         Edit/Delete Post 
I think the command interface could actually be simpler. You don't have to slide your cursor along the ground anymore ...
Posts: 1539 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
B-HAX
Member # 6640

That is a cool idea...it would be revolutionary to say the least.

I wish I could make the game, but I am just the perfect mixture of dumb and lazy, so me, someone else do it....and I'll give you $39.95..... $49.95 if the reviews are good.

I was just reading SotG and I found myself thinking how well the Shadow series would play out in a RTS vid game, kinda C&C Generals but with much more depth and better AI. My biggest beef with RTS games is that the enemy attacks never make any sense. They just create their units and throw it at you with no plan.

And as far as Ender's GAME game, I see a kind of Imperium Galactica type engine with more depth and better story.

[ March 18, 2005, 03:47 PM: Message edited by: B-HAX ]

Posts: 70 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puppy
Member # 6721

quote:
kinda C&C Generals but with much more depth and better AI
I'll send that to the programmers at EALA. I'm sure they'll say, "Wow! More depth and better AI? Why didn't I think of that?!"
Posts: 1539 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
B-HAX
Member # 6640

LOL....yeah yeah, but when I said more depth I was reffering to better story.

What makes video games stand out is the story. And if the talent of OSC were behind the development of a solid story idea to revolve the game around, that would make quite an impact.

chracatoa
Member # 7575

- posted      Profile for chracatoa   Email chracatoa         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know about Brothers in Arms... all FPS' feel and look the same for me.

If it's like C&C Generals, then I'm game! Though actually I'd like to see Ender's Game like C&C Generals, but made by Blizzard. How about that? [Smile]

There were two things I did not like in C&C Generals: left/right mouse click inverted (really bad if you were playing warcraft also) and few balancing patches.

Posts: 18 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puppy
Member # 6721

quote:
What makes video games stand out is the story.
Perhaps in your individual case, this might be true. But in general, there are many factors that contribute to a game's distinction, including design, story, art, atmosphere, sound, music, visceral impact, smooth-running solid code, etc ...

I bet there are lots of game developers out there who could make a really terrible game out of an OSC story [Smile]

Puppy
Member # 6721

quote:
I'd like to see Ender's Game like C&C Generals, but made by Blizzard. How about that?
Blizzard is a great developer, but so far, they have been so successful at creating their own original IP, I really doubt they'd even look twice at a property like Ender's Game.
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
A version of Risk based on the Shadow-series era on Earth would be pretty cool.

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xenocider
Member # 7537

- posted      Profile for Xenocider   Email Xenocider         Edit/Delete Post 
some of you people are those kind of people who sit around all day and play video games for the fun of it.

PS. i wish i was one too [Laugh]

Posts: 20 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puppy
Member # 6721

I wish games were still fun for me [Smile]
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
Though I'm not a big fan of shooters, an EG game would be at the top of my list.

And still... the idea of an Ender's Game RTS like Homeworld leaves one salivating. Or even an EG rts that takes place in the battleroom...

Mmmmm....

--j_k

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
[Frown]

That's the saddest thing I've read in a long time!

Reminds me of social worker burn-out . . .

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puppy
Member # 6721

Aw, don't worry, Shan, I'm mostly kidding [Smile] I still enjoy playing games. I just ALSO have a lot of bad experiences with them as I attempt to develop them.
Verai
Member # 7507

- posted      Profile for Verai   Email Verai         Edit/Delete Post 
Move Zig Move Zig Move Zig Move Zig You know what you doing take off every Zig
Posts: 169 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
Development's a butt, no matter what field you're in, isn't it? The end result, though - when it all comes together, can be so rewarding, though!
Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chracatoa
Member # 7575

- posted      Profile for chracatoa   Email chracatoa         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Blizzard is a great developer, but so far, they have been so successful at creating their own original IP, I really doubt they'd even look twice at a property like Ender's Game.
So true... but one can only hope!

quote:
And still... the idea of an Ender's Game RTS like Homeworld leaves one salivating.
I did not have the skills to play Homeworld... my ships usually were far above the enemy and I just passed by them. I guess I'm not Ender afterall [Big Grin] My neighbor was fascinated with HW though...

Either way, if it were an RTS we could have three (or four!) races: humans, buggers (formics), piggies and, maybe, os descoladores!

Posts: 18 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sid Meier
Member # 6965

- posted      Profile for Sid Meier   Email Sid Meier         Edit/Delete Post 
A shadow series verion of risk? Thet already have a really GOOOD wwii version of it its called "Hearts of Iron 2" www.gamespot.com for more info. Also, Puppy can you be my mentor in game design? I want to become a Game designer/developper myself as soon as I am out of CEGEP and worked for a couple of years.
Posts: 1567 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.