FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » OSC poem "Tin Men"

Author Topic: OSC poem "Tin Men"
Craig Childs
Member # 5382

- posted      Profile for Craig Childs   Email Craig Childs         Edit/Delete Post 
I was in a reflective mood the other day so I decided to read OSC's book of poetry "An Open Book". I've tried to develop a taste for poetry in the past but somehow it has always eluded me.

Anyway, I enjoyed the poem "Tin Men" very much, but I could not figure out who the narrator(s) was supposed to be. An alien culture that somehow tamed humans? That was my first guess.

But after thinking about it, I decided I think the narrator is a human living in a future where men have stopped dreaming about finding and conquering other worlds... lost their ambition, in other words.

Has anyone else read this poem? Who do you think the narrator is?

Posts: 187 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Audeo
Member # 5130

- posted      Profile for Audeo   Email Audeo         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd agree that the the speaker is a human from the future, but I don't think they've necessarily lost their ambition. I think they've lost their idealism. The speaker sees the past as a place where the world is black and white, good or bad, but in the future, humanity has discovered that the bad is as integral a part of themselves as the good. In the past they dreamed big, and saw the future as an inexorable thing. With the knowledge and advances in science that the speaker has access to all those dreams have faded into impossibility. The past was able to dream big because they had no knowledge to curtail their dreams, but the future is hemmed in by reality, and by the science that they've discovered.

(Just like to add there is more than one way of reading any poem, so feel free to disagree with or even disregard mine [Wink] )

Posts: 349 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

- posted      Profile for Orson Scott Card           Edit/Delete Post 
Both good and accurate readings. Thanks for noticing. I think my poems are the best things I do, but the audience for poetry is so small, and the audience for poetry by science fiction writers is so very much smaller, so I'm pathetically grateful for any feedback at all.

[ March 30, 2005, 06:38 AM: Message edited by: Orson Scott Card ]

Posts: 2005 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.