FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » DC/MARVEL

Author Topic: DC/MARVEL
Avicus
Member # 7652

- posted      Profile for Avicus   Email Avicus         Edit/Delete Post 
I know that you (OCR) did the Ironman book for Marvel. Would it be possible to do something with DC? Definately not Batman, but maybe Superman. You're ability to completely understand a character is unparalled. You've proven that time and time again. It would be great if you could do that with Superman. I know it's not as easy as going to DC and saying ",Hey I wanna write Superman" but you definately wouldn't have too much trouble.
Also with Advent Trilogy, I hear you wrote the dialogue but will you be writing any books to go along with the game and how many? The characters and the idea sounds really good and I've been plugging it like crazy to everyone I know. It's definately going to be one of those revolutionary games, which I think will in turn bring more fans to you. The more the merrier.

Posts: 51 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kaioshin00
Member # 3740

- posted      Profile for kaioshin00   Email kaioshin00         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I know that you (OCR) did the Ironman book for Marvel
On a side note, his initials are OSC [Wink]
Posts: 2756 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged
Member # 7476

- posted      Profile for Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged   Email Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged         Edit/Delete Post 
Does DC have any young hyper intelligent characters? Maybe a story about
batman's early years? Sorry I'm a Marvel Zombie, I have no idea what type of characters DC has.

Posts: 796 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Quimby2999
Member # 7044

- posted      Profile for Quimby2999   Email Quimby2999         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Does DC have any young hyper intelligent characters?
Maybe you should ask Stan Lee.
Posts: 93 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Avicus
Member # 7652

Kaioshin00- Thank you for pointing that out. I feel a bit sheepish for not catching it before hitting submit.
Wowbagger- I don't care for Marvel. There are dozens upon dozens of super heroes for DC that are hyper intelligent. All of them are actually extremely intelligent in their own way. Batman (though having no super powers) is among the most intelligent of them but is by no far the smartest.
Quimby- Not sure what you meant by that. Stan Lee is Marvel. Not a bad artist though I can't care for many of his characters. It was only with his artistic talent that I think he was able to sell as many comics as he did.

Posts: 51 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I actually didn't realize Stan Lee was an artist. What did he draw?
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

- posted      Profile for Orson Scott Card           Edit/Delete Post 
You know, I actually write things that aren't about super-intelligent children. In fact, I think it's safe to say that MOST of my work isn't about super-intelligent children.

It's quite possible that I'll do something with DC one day. But it probably wouldn't be with one of their existing characters. The only reason I could work with Iron Man was because Marvel was doing the Ultimate series, in which new writers could reinvent the characters, leaving them free to ignore much or most of the previous storyline. I have neither the time nor the inclination to go back and take into account EVERYTHING that has been written about a character that has been used in multiple series for more years than I've been alive.

As for Stan Lee - it isn't the artist who determines the story, it's the writer. The contribution of the artist is enormous, but it is more analogous to an actor interpreting a script. It's the actor's performance that you see, the actor's style that you love ... but it's the writer who gave him the words to say and the situations to enact. Collaboration ... but writer first. Just like the movies.

Posts: 2005 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AntiCool
Member # 7386

- posted      Profile for AntiCool   Email AntiCool         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought Stan Lee was the writer who created The Hulk, Fantastic Four, and Spider-Man, among others. Or am I thinking of someone different?
Posts: 1002 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
No, that's him. I think the artist being referenced here is Jack Kirby, who collaborated with him on most of those books.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Quimby2999
Member # 7044

- posted      Profile for Quimby2999   Email Quimby2999         Edit/Delete Post 
Aah . . . Jack Kirby. Oh yeah, Stan "the Man" is Marvel. I'm a ditz.

BTW, suppose Ender was bitten by a radioactive bugger . . .

Posts: 93 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Avicus
Member # 7652

Mr. Card (can't bring myself to call you Orson) - I know exactly what you mean. But there are always those side comics where the writers will make what they will of the character from their own perspective and can even rewrite the past. They do this all the time (all labels). But the reason I think you would be great in writing for DC's characters (aside from the fact that it’s my favorite) are that you would/could probably bring a perspective unlike any other. It's not that you can beautifully write about someone's genius and millions upon millions will line up to praise you. It's that, like Ender, you are able to fully understand a character. You understand their weaknesses and strengths along with where they are beautiful and where they are ugly. Rarely do I find this in a comic. I find great stories can show a person what they would like to be, but rarely do I find a story where by reading it I can find a piece of myself in it. There's entertainment and then there's fulfillment. You have a talent for combining the two. In a sense you are the first Speaker.
BTW, hope New Zealand was nice.

Quimby- People get those two confused all the time. Both are exceptional. Kirby I guess I'm a bit more partial to because he helped lay the foundation for the heroes I read of today.

TomDavidson
Member # 124

"People get those two confused all the time. Both are exceptional."

Um. No. Kirby was also Marvel. Although you did get them confused, in this case, because Stan Lee isn't an artist, whereas Jack Kirby was the Marvel artist with whom he normally worked. [Smile]

Avicus
Member # 7652

Tom- You're right Stan Lee was not an artist. But as for which company Kirby represented, well then that's all a matter of what time frame you're looking at. Kirby worked for Marvel for many years, but left eventually and drew for DC for many years. Eventually he even left DC and went to pacific comics. I guess I always just think of Kirby as DC. Sorry if I offended you.
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

- posted      Profile for Orson Scott Card           Edit/Delete Post 
DC, Marvel. It's just like Muslim, Christian. Or Catholic, Protestant. Nothing worth actually FIGHTING over.
Posts: 2005 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

"I guess I always just think of Kirby as DC."

Not offended at all. It's like referring to Babe Ruth as a member of the Red Sox; it's technically accurate, but everyone's going to do a spit-take anyway. [Smile]

Rose the ____
Member # 7791

- posted      Profile for Rose the ____   Email Rose the ____         Edit/Delete Post 
well... this convo - and Countdown to Infinite Crisis - gives us something to hope for. If OSC would be interested in writing a miniseries or ongoing about a character he could reinvent, even one of the archetypes like Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, etc. - he may get his chance.

ok. I'm - probably a hopelessly addicted comic book fan. I know more about this than I have about my own religion for most of my life [Frown] . yes, that bothers me too. anyway, here goes.

Infinite Crisis is supposed to be the sequel to Crisis on Infinite Earths. the former Crisis, the 80s story, was the revamp of the DC universe, taking all these different multiverses DC comics had- and wiping them all out leaving one, revamped universe, one big story as opposed to many. an end to all the multiverses, all the limitless possibilities, all the crazy mix-ups.

so the sequel - is going to open every door that was closed in the 80s. all those stories, all those universes. they'll be open again. and DC, once again, will have a multiverse. all different kinds of heroes on all different kinds of worlds, without end. limitless possibilities for revamped characters, new stories from scratch. Don't give up on DC, Mr. Card, if they give you any good offers.

And let's hope, for their sake, they do.

Oh, and of course there's Elseworlds. but I'll leave that to the next comics guru.

Posts: 58 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DarkKnight
Member # 7536

- posted      Profile for DarkKnight   Email DarkKnight         Edit/Delete Post 
HEY! I was just going to mention Elseworlds. That is/was a series where the writer could completely reinvent a character as they saw fit.
Posts: 1918 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rose the ____
Member # 7791

- posted      Profile for Rose the ____   Email Rose the ____         Edit/Delete Post 
hmm. I just did a count - we'll take out Speaker for the Dead, but it seems - presuming only one issue of Ultimate Iron Man will involve Tony Stark's superintelligent childhood - it seems OSC will have written 8 books about superintelligent kids.

now, we've got - what was it, Enchanted or Enc- Enchantment, yes, the Memory of Earth series, that was like, 6 books - and the Alvin maker series. 4 books so far.

and - yup. superintelligent kids still in the minority. and I definitely don't know everything Mr. Card has written. [Big Grin]

Posts: 58 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged
Member # 7476

- posted      Profile for Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged   Email Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged         Edit/Delete Post 
It was a joke. A poor joke, but still a joke. Now I'd like OSC to do a graphic novel of, say Pastwatch. IMHO of course.
Posts: 796 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Avicus
Member # 7652

Rose - Right on!!
I love hearing enthusiasm like that.

As for elseworlds, that's not a bad idea but I'll go you one up.

What about a Vertigo title "Speaker for the Dead" ?
Now that would be interesting. You could do stories on all the speakers that roam the universe speaking peoples deaths and the problems they solve and bring to light. Each story could span a few issues and really bring out the nitty gritty of people. The more I think about this the more I like it. It would bring the large number of fans of vertigo to read Orson which in turn would bring them to Ender. I'm like a Jehovah's witness with Ender's Game, everyone should read that book!

Rose the ____
Member # 7791

oh. oh wow. come to think of it, I'd be surprised if any writer who has worked w/ Vertigo would decline the opportunity to write a long term Speaker series. 's too bad though, it probably would've worked better in their Helix line they used for Transmetropolitan - Vertigo seems to be geared towards being a part of the DC universe whenever it's convienient, and I wouldn't want Card's vision to get too muddled up in a universe with grown men who wear their underwear over their - what, pants? leotards?

keep the worlds seperate. besides, their utopian future with Legion isn't doing so bad lately. despite my complaint about superhero fashion :-].

Rose the ____
Member # 7791

100 Bullets with as much or little violence as the writer of the month (quarter?) wants. Of course I keep assuming OSC'd hand this off to other writers. which is sort of wierd of me to assume because he already turned it down when he created Ender's Shadow, and he's gotten into comics... eh. pointless though to second-guess the man when no one in a position of power at DC's saying anything. heh. we don't even know how they choose their stories, their creators, any of that.
Avicus
Member # 7652

Rose: "we don't even know how they choose their stories, their creators, any of that. "

You never know. Some of them could be fans and just haven't put two and two together yet.

As for mixing the vertigo and dc line together line everynow and then, well they do but they like to keep them seperate alot. But if he did like a 6 part mini it would really work for both parties. For one he'd gain the audiance of DC who are not yet allready familiar with his works (and we both know that once you're hooked, it's for life), and of course they would get some of his fans.

olhando
Member # 7866

- posted      Profile for olhando   Email olhando         Edit/Delete Post 
you dont like the prodigies?
alright i believe you, i guess it's just ender and bean that i am thinking about. because the only other out of series book that you have writen is lost boys and i guess stevie wasnt that smart at all. i mean if it where bean ******************SPOILER***************** he would have just been like "ive got some ghost friends in my head that are just begging me to turn in this child molester" like from the beggining since he has such an adult, systematic way of thinking.

the comics i read are the nice long artistic ones where the main part of it isnt the characers or the name of it but the artist and writers. take the matrix comics, i love them. burly man comics are pretty good, apart from the senseless blood and gore. of course the matrix is the best thing they have anyway. i think you could get on board with the wachowski brothers and the matrix crew and do wonders man.
just a though. but for now it feels like there is so much for you to get done that every good idea someone has, you might wish you hadnt ever heard it. every new idea may be a burden that you cant stop saying, darn i wish i had followed through with those ideas. thats how it get with movie ideas and poem ideas. i just start too many at once.

Posts: 13 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hot Soup
Member # 7840

- posted      Profile for Hot Soup           Edit/Delete Post 
My faves are Astro City, Hellboy, Usagi Yojimbo, the Flight anthologies.

Kurt Busiek (who writes Astro City) reminds me of Orson. Characters and story first, before action and "thrills."

Posts: 18 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.