FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Uncle Orson query

Author Topic: Uncle Orson query
polemic
Member # 7672

- posted      Profile for polemic   Email polemic         Edit/Delete Post 
In Shadow of the Giant, OSC uses the term "EarthGov," and I wondered if that was a nod to Babylon 5, which, afik, originated that name. Which leads me to wonder: what would Uncle Orson have to say if he were to review B5? One of the great things about B5 was how J. Michael Straczynski would interact with fans and, to some extent, incorporate their feedback as the show evolved. Reminiscent of this forum, in fact. JMS had a big thing about how he believed that if he created fiction that *he* would really like if he were the fan and not the writer, then others would like it as well. The usenet forums provided a sanity check for this.
Posts: 13 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
neo-dragon
Member # 7168

- posted      Profile for neo-dragon           Edit/Delete Post 
I knew the term "EarthGov" sounded familiar! I can't believe I didn't notice that. It's been too long since I've seen B5.
Posts: 1569 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

- posted      Profile for Orson Scott Card           Edit/Delete Post 
Only watched about ten minutes of Babylon 5. No influence, I'm afraid. I thought of EarthGov because it's OBVIOUS.
Posts: 2005 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
polemic
Member # 7672

- posted      Profile for polemic   Email polemic         Edit/Delete Post 
You might want to check out B5 now that it's on DVD. The story is great, very novel-like in the continuity and intertwinedness of its arcs, with fabulous character performances by the likes of Andreas Katsulas, Peter Jurasik, etc. It's one of the few SF works that I hold to be on the level of, say, Ender's Game ;-).
Posts: 13 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.