FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » It's six a.m. here ... (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: It's six a.m. here ...
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

- posted      Profile for Orson Scott Card           Edit/Delete Post 
It's six a.m. here in Greensboro, but it's only eleven p.m. in New Zealand, which is apparently where my body thinks it still is.

But my brain knows it should be asleep now. Which is why I have sat here adding ridiculous posts to every topic on which I could think of something ridiculous to say.

So this is my blanket apology to everyone. I'm way too jetlagged to be responsible for anything I posted tonight. But I'm also too tired and lazy to go back and delete everything I posted.

And then I have to think: I write a lot of my fiction at this time of night, and in roughly this mental condition. So maybe the guys who thought my style had gone down the toilet have a point ...

[ April 02, 2005, 05:59 AM: Message edited by: Orson Scott Card ]

Posts: 2005 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

I just realized that I'm member #209. Now I have to wonder how many people with lower numbers than mine are still active and posting here ...
Posts: 2005 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

Please. Stop me from looking at every active topic to see what number you all have.
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

If I add any more to this thread without anyone else posting anything, I'm going to get that nasty "anti-flooding" message that makes me feel like such a dork whenever I get it.
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

Please. Stop me before I post again.
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

It's finally happened. I'm not only talking to myself, I'm answering. And getting angry at the answers.
Bella Bee
Member # 7027

- posted      Profile for Bella Bee   Email Bella Bee         Edit/Delete Post 
When I came back from NZ last year it took me two weeks to get over my major case of jet lag. So you definitely have my sympathy.

At least you're talking to yourself on the internet and not out loud. I'm not really sure why that seems more sane to me, but somehow it does. [Smile]

Edit - lousy spelling

[ April 02, 2005, 06:07 AM: Message edited by: Bella Bee ]

Posts: 1528 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frangy.
Member # 6794

- posted      Profile for Frangy.   Email Frangy.         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm the number 6794, not very previous to you that we say

Sorry yf I cannot answer rapidly, but I have to translate everything what you say...

Posts: 111 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zotto!
Member # 4689

- posted      Profile for Zotto!   Email Zotto!         Edit/Delete Post 
Member numbah 4689 speaking, yer lordship.

Hmm. It's only 1:08 AM here in Hawaii, and I have to get up in a few hours to go to work. Nevertheless! Right before coming to Hatrack, I just finished writing a silly email to one of my best friends who lives in New Zealand.

This is all connected in a very drugged-out-hippy sort of way, I can FEEL it.

Posts: 1595 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
St. Yogi
Member # 5974

- posted      Profile for St. Yogi   Email St. Yogi         Edit/Delete Post 
It's 1:16 PM here in Norway.
Posts: 739 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frangy.
Member # 6794

- posted      Profile for Frangy.   Email Frangy.         Edit/Delete Post 
Here ir like Norway
Posts: 111 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bella Bee
Member # 7027

- posted      Profile for Bella Bee   Email Bella Bee         Edit/Delete Post 
The weirdest thing I found about coming back from New Zealand was that I left NZ on Tuesday night and arrived in LA on Tuesday morning.

It was like Groundhog day.

Posts: 1528 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

- posted      Profile for Beren One Hand           Edit/Delete Post 
I hope you're getting your [Sleep] Uncle Orson.

It is 3:30 here in the West Coast. Time for a Jack in the Box run. [Smile]

Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, here, it's 5:44 pm. And I'd love it if you came here for a book signing. You could even meet old Arthur C. Clarke while you're in the area. He's still alive and kicking.
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
*Rats*

OSC is finally on my timezone(ish) and I am having dinner at my Grandmother's and away from the computer.

(It was a nice dinner though).

10.10pm here now in Western Australia. The dog is asleep in her chair, it's gently raining (good for the farmers) and I have one more day of the weekend left.

Life is good. [Smile]

Plus, no matter how much I post in one night now, I can say "Well, at least I'm not as bad as the owner of the forum... gee he went on a spree on the 2nd of April..."

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AntiCool
Member # 7386

- posted      Profile for AntiCool   Email AntiCool         Edit/Delete Post 
I think that OSC's head a-sploded.
Posts: 1002 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yozhik
Member # 89

- posted      Profile for Yozhik   Email Yozhik         Edit/Delete Post 
Uncle Orson, you're even funnier when you're jetlagged. [Smile]
Posts: 1512 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sid Meier
Member # 6965

- posted      Profile for Sid Meier   Email Sid Meier         Edit/Delete Post 
10:00 AM here in Canada, I live on eastern standard time and man [ROFL]
Posts: 1567 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crotalus
Member # 7339

- posted      Profile for Crotalus   Email Crotalus         Edit/Delete Post 
It's 6 am. OSC must be lonely.

Nah, not quite as catchy as the Matchbox version.

[ April 02, 2005, 11:14 AM: Message edited by: Crotalus ]

Posts: 232 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Next time you're up at an ungodly hour, bored and surfing around, you should check out the Book, Films, Food & Culture forum. Lots of interesting stuff being discussed over there. Guaranteed to suck you in, unless it doesn't.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
You should listen to Dmitri Hvorostovsky because he's a baritone and is cool [Big Grin] .
Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kaioshin00
Member # 3740

- posted      Profile for kaioshin00   Email kaioshin00         Edit/Delete Post 
haha@crotalus

.com

Posts: 2756 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mimsies
Member # 7418

- posted      Profile for mimsies   Email mimsies         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
It's six a.m.
Time to make the doughnuts...
Posts: 772 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boon
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
No, doughnuts are only good at 6 a.m., which means they must be started at 3.

Trust me, of this I know, doughnuts are not good after 7 a.m.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kaioshin00
Member # 3740

- posted      Profile for kaioshin00   Email kaioshin00         Edit/Delete Post 
krispy kreme is open 24 hours
Posts: 2756 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
Tom has a lower number, and of course Annie ( [Smile] ), I'm not sure there's anyone else who still posts here consistently. I'm off by about 200. [Frown]

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boon
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Just because they're open does not mean the doughnuts are good 24 hours a day.

Besides, don't you know that doughnuts eaten before 7 a.m. don't have calories?

Just like cake eaten on a birthday has no calories.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
Doughnuts are always good. It is impossible for a doughnut not to be good. This is because doughnuts are holy.

(Ba-dump-psshh)

Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mimsies
Member # 7418

mmmmm krispy kreme...
Posts: 772 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Recently I have discovered the joy of doughnuts and coffee.
And I half-dislike coffee and hated doughnuts as I got older due to them being waaaaaaaay too sweet.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kaioshin00
Member # 3740

Verily ... verily verily
JohnHansen
Member # 41

- posted      Profile for JohnHansen           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't post anymore and I think I had the administrators delete the account which once had a very low number.

Enjoy NZ, Scott!

John Hansen

Posts: 398 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JohnHansen
Member # 41

Apparently not (re: the number thing).

I've already sprung my watch forward so it is 12:10am here in Nashville.

Posts: 398 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yozhik
Member # 89

- posted      Profile for Yozhik   Email Yozhik         Edit/Delete Post 
Hobbes:
quote:
I'm not sure there's anyone else who still posts here consistently.
*Ahem* #89... not very voluminous, but consistent.

JohnHansen: Heavens! You're still alive! [Big Grin]

Posts: 1512 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JohnHansen
Member # 41

Alive, yes. And proud to only have 368 posts. [Smile]
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
I think that means we have a new winner of that lurker thread!

Scott, melatonin is good for jetlag.

Of course, if you cure the jetlag, you'll stop posting . . .

[Angst] *runs from legions of ticked hatrackers*

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
val
Member # 7687

- posted      Profile for val   Email val         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, melatonin... or ny-quil... [Sleep]
Posts: 16 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Catseye1979
Member # 5560

- posted      Profile for Catseye1979   Email Catseye1979         Edit/Delete Post 
Looks like Orson Scott Card traded in his Civ 2 addiction for a Hatrack River Forums addiction to me. I'd tell you to fight it but we don't actully want to you get over this addiction... [Evil]
Posts: 147 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

Hey, I was posting all through my signing tour for Giant. And do you know why? Because I finally got sick of playing Civilization, took it off my computer, broke the cd. And then after I bought it again and reinstalled it, weeping, I played it and realized that I STILL was sick of it and lo! I am free. And then I had hours and hours with nothing to do and I realized: There's a forum full of brilliant, intelligent people (i.e., people who have either read my books or pretend they have) and I could go and see what they're talking about, and behold, I began posting.
mimsies
Member # 7418

Yes, that is good, it's great to have you here, but what is your opinion on doughuts?
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

My wife swore off Krispy Kremes after the old store on Battleground Ave. in Greensboro (the founding city of Krispy Kreme) was temporarily shut down because of a roach problem. Besides, there were two BETTER doughnut (aka "donut") stores in Greensboro at the time, both of which were driven out of business by KK's unfair and predatory business practices - like "advertising" and "staying open 24 hours a day" and offering "hot fresh donuts all the time," which is, of course, capitalism at its most evil.

So I only get those fantastic crullers and nongreasy-tasting cake donuts from Krispy Kreme when Kristine is not with me.

accio
Member # 3040

- posted      Profile for accio   Email accio         Edit/Delete Post 
I pass Krispy Kremes on my way to work. It’s always busy. You ought to see their drive through on Friday mornings. I love Krispy Kremes but we don’t have anything better around here.

How was Wellington? I would love to hear about your trip. Do we have to wait for your column for that?

Posts: 333 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

- posted      Profile for Ela           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I just realized that I'm member #209. Now I have to wonder how many people with lower numbers than mine are still active and posting here ...
I wondered the same thing and actually tried to search for lower member numbers - but it was too boring a task. [Razz]

(Just for the record, a number of the low numbers led to an account that "does not exist.")

Oh, and I love Krispy Kreme donuts. The same store I went to in high school, a long time ago, is still in the neighborhood here. [Big Grin]

Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sid Meier
Member # 6965

- posted      Profile for Sid Meier   Email Sid Meier         Edit/Delete Post 
[Angst] YOU MEAN YOU DONT HAVE A TIM HORTONS! [Eek!] [Eek!] [Eek!]

[ April 03, 2005, 12:33 PM: Message edited by: Sid Meier ]

Posts: 1567 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verai
Member # 7507

- posted      Profile for Verai   Email Verai         Edit/Delete Post 
This is your agent of the secret shadow government, Mr. Card. Just popping in to remind you that you're not allowed to be silly.
Posts: 169 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I hate Krispy Kream donuts. Doughnuts should be dough-y! I want to move back to LA, where I can get Foster's.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verai
Member # 7507

- posted      Profile for Verai   Email Verai         Edit/Delete Post 
Best doughnuts I remember eating were the kind supposedly made back in the day. Clumps of fried dough. With sugar. [The Wave]
Posts: 169 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lem
Member # 6914

- posted      Profile for lem           Edit/Delete Post 
Orson,

quote:
Please. Stop me from looking at every active topic to see what number you all have.
Before I saw this post, I had already requested those with a lower member number then you to come out. It is here.

Do you know Jake?

Posts: 2445 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
And then I had hours and hours with nothing to do and I realized: There's a forum full of brilliant, intelligent people (i.e., people who have either read my books or pretend they have) and I could go and see what they're talking about, and behold, I began posting.
Um, just so's you know, some of us call it "HatCrack."

(I am at war with myself, but I feel honor-bound to 'fess up and issue a verbal warning. "Beware, all ye who enter here," and all.)

[ April 03, 2005, 04:24 PM: Message edited by: ClaudiaTherese ]

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
Sid, the only place I've seen Tim Hortons south of the US-Can border is Buffalo NY and my main gripe with their overproliferation there is that they are so popular that the West Coast obsession with espresso stands (every 35 ft if you please) has not managed to spread there and take hold. Worse, when I work out there, I actually have to drive around a while before I can find some place that makes chai tea.
Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.