FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Treason: The Movie?

Author Topic: Treason: The Movie?
Atticus
Member # 1500

- posted      Profile for Atticus   Email Atticus         Edit/Delete Post 
You know I thought about this some time ago and just recently it came up in my head again. Wouldn't Treason make a wonderful movie? To be honest, I have some doubts that Ender's Game will ever be made. And you know what? I don't really mind all that much, because I don't think any movie could really capture the book well enough to be worth making. Though, I'd love to be proved wrong.

However, Treason would make a great movie. It has always been one of my favorites. It's an adventure movie, and with all the different types of people, there is a lot of room for imagination. You wouldn't even have to keep the exact specializations of each group of people. The important and interesting thing to keep (i think) is really the idea of specializing to such a degree that you can no longer adapt or change. Yeah some specializations would be important to keep in the movie, such as the philosophers, the actors, and of course the genetic engineers. But the rest are probably not as important (i could be mistaken, haven't read the book in a few years). There is also a great love story. And in the end the good guys win, so the studios would love it!

What do you guys think? Personally, I think its an awesome idea. It would be like a fantasy adventure psychological drama type thing [Smile]

By the way, if Mr. Card is reading this, I've got to thank you for writing those awesome books. My dad started me off with Lost Boys when I was 12, and I haven't looked back since. The Worthing Saga has some of the most beautiful, sincere, and simple writing I've ever read. Oh yeah, and my father, my brother, and I all loved Monkey Island. I had no idea you wrote those jokes until a few months ago when my dad mentioned it. That's awesome [Smile]

[ April 06, 2005, 12:02 AM: Message edited by: Atticus ]

Posts: 6 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Khavanon
Member # 929

- posted      Profile for Khavanon   Email Khavanon         Edit/Delete Post 
To think, Ender's Game could actually be harder to film than LOTR.

When I read Maps in a Mirror I thought about how cool it would be to have a one season show on the short stories of OSC.

Posts: 2523 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

- posted      Profile for Orson Scott Card           Edit/Delete Post 
LOTR didn't star a dozen kids. They were just SHORT, not YOUNG.

Treason would make a great film, and we have a firstrate writer working on a script right now.

BUT ... you have to understand that everybody is waiting to see how Ender's Game turns out before they sink money into anything else of mine. Unless I got some kind of star or power director attached to a project, it can't get over that hurdle. It all comes down to Ender's Game.

But you're absolutely right about Treason. It would also make a great comic book.

Posts: 2005 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
Enchantment would make an awesome movie. I mean, we could sit here all night and talk about what OSC books we'd like to see filmed. But really. Think about it. Enchantment: The Movie? Heck yeah. [Big Grin]
Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I think that Homebody would be an awesome movie. An actual good "psychological thriller" (as in, not actually a psychological thriller [Wink] ).
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

Homebody began as a filmscript, but when I first started shopping it in Hollywood, everybody said it sounded like a TV movie and not a feature. I still can't figure out why - not in a world where "Sideways" gets an academy award nomination.

And Enchantment was taken under the wing of a producer with an outstanding track record, but SHE couldn't get anybody to look twice at the thing, even though it has a magical talking bear AND a witch who hijacks a 747. So what's the world coming to?

Posts: 2005 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe those Hollywood people saw 'Rose Red', and thought "Gee, we've already seen a scary house movie on TV!" which would be very sad, as I think Homebody could be much better.
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scooter
Member # 6915

- posted      Profile for Scooter   Email Scooter         Edit/Delete Post 
I really enjoyed that book (Treason) and agree it could be a greate movie--the special effects could dominate the movie though--either that they are too poorly done that they distract from the story, or because the potential for cool effects exists with the story, too much emphasis is placed on them to the point of becoming the focus of the movie.

I enjoyed Treasure Box more than Homebody, but both had some great humor in them.

Is Mr. Card as funny in person as he is in his writing? You can tell a level of consistency in his humor across books, but does he express it as much in his own verbal conversation?

[ April 06, 2005, 01:34 PM: Message edited by: Scooter ]

Posts: 83 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frangy.
Member # 6794

- posted      Profile for Frangy.   Email Frangy.         Edit/Delete Post 
Other books can be good movies, but it is THE BOOK. Personally, I prefer it and surely the directors also because they will feel more assurances on having recorded his book of more success
Posts: 111 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

I'm very dull and witless in conversation. I never tell jokes because I can't memorize the punchlines or the setups at the same time. I do have a knack for thinking of what I SHOULD have said about thirty seconds too late. But that's ideal for a fiction writer - I just wait the thirty seconds, and there's my snappy dialogue!
Scooter
Member # 6915

- posted      Profile for Scooter   Email Scooter         Edit/Delete Post 
I can relate to that. In fact, I'm incredibly good looking in my own writing--full head of hair, muscular...which is why I should write books instead of lecturing to students! (insert smiley face of your choice here)

[ April 06, 2005, 06:04 PM: Message edited by: Scooter ]

Posts: 83 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

- posted      Profile for FlyingCow   Email FlyingCow         Edit/Delete Post 
And you are way too modest. You are plenty witty in real life, and don't go telling people otherwise!

[Taunt]

Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.