FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Mr. Card Mr. Card Mr. Card

Author Topic: Mr. Card Mr. Card Mr. Card
kaioshin00
Member # 3740

- posted      Profile for kaioshin00   Email kaioshin00         Edit/Delete Post 
I just wanted to point out that Mr. Card has a very pragmatic name for an author. When writing about any work of his, one can introduce him as "Orson Scott Card" and then proceed to truncate his name to the common initials "OSC" throughout the rest of discussion. Having this option available saves potentiall hundreds of keystrokes.

In addition, having 3 names to choose from allows for varying levels of association with Mr. Card. As I have never personally spoken to Mr. Card or any of his family, I refer to him as ... "Mr. Card." Yet I have noticed some people, even on this very forum, who address him as "Orson" or even "Scott."

Thus, I feel the versatility of the OSCs full name - Orson Scott Card - fits his status as author. Being able to refer to him in several ways reduces redundancy and improves efficiency when talking about him or his work.

yeah.

Posts: 2756 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

- posted      Profile for Orson Scott Card           Edit/Delete Post 
"Mr. Card! Mr. Card! Mr. Card!"

I feel like the chorus of a Broadway song.

And after hearing most of the American Idols butcher their Broadway songs and prove that pop voices just aren't up to the job, I'm especially proud to be a Broadway song ... To think I achieved it at the relatively youthful age of 70.

No wait. I'm still only 53. I just FEEL 70.

Posts: 2005 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

I know that you didn't have exclamation points. I added them because I was sure you really MEANT to have them and only accidentally left them off; or perhaps you left them off on purpose, thinking people would then get me confused with Zotto!
Posts: 2005 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NinjaBirdman
Member # 7114

- posted      Profile for NinjaBirdman   Email NinjaBirdman         Edit/Delete Post 
This thread made me think of this, but substitute Mr. Card for Dr. Zaius.

quote:
"Dr. Zaius"

Ape: Help, the human's about to escape.
Troy: Get your paws off me, you dirty ape.
Ape: [gasping] He can talk!

Apes: [in unison, rythmed] He can talk
He can talk
He can talk
He can talk
He can talk
He can talk

Troy: [singing] I can siiiiiing!

[funky beat of "Rock Me Amadeus" starts playing]

Female Nurse Ape: Ooh, help me Dr. Zaius!
Apes: [in unison] Dr. Zaius, Dr. Zaius
Dr. Zaius, Dr. Zaius
Dr. Zaius, Dr. Zaius
Oh... Dr. Zaius
Ape: Dr. Zaius, Dr. Zaius.

Troy: What's wrong with me?
Zaius: I think you're crazy.
Troy: Want a second opinion.
Zaius: You're also lazy.

Apes: [in unison] Dr. Zaius, Dr. Zaius
Dr. Zaius, Dr. Zaius
Dr. Zaius, Dr. Zaius

[one ape starts breakdancing]

Oh... Dr. Zaius
Ape: Dr. Zaius, Dr. Zaius.

Troy: Can I play the piano anymore?
Zaius: Of course you can.
Troy: Well I couldn't before!

[plays piano]

Posts: 204 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
American Idol should really leave out Broadway night next year. That was a flat out butchering last night, for the most part.
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

But that very butchering of Broadway songs helps keep these "new stars" in perspective. Most of them have just a few note that they can belt really loud - but a truly great song exposes the weaknesses.

Which is why Constantine's ability really shone last night. Yes, he's overdoing the bedroom eyes bit - but he knows how to ACT a song, and even though he doesn't have as strong PEAK notes, he has a whole range - his low notes are strong and can be heard.

While poor Bo was so exposed by the song he sang. We heard that he really has a tremolo, not a vibrato, and his voice is not strong when he isn't rockin'. And as for the blond kid - the song destroyed him.

Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Why.. I don't feel like he is overdoing the bedroom eyes at all.... [Wink]

(darn! missed last night's episode)

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

Hey, Farmgirl, don't you resent how one of the contestants is plagiarizing your nickname?
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't just limit that to the "new stars". Most popular recording artists, Billboard Top 40, for instance, would butcher Broadway just as vigorously as the idols did last night. Studio magic, packaging, and savvy marketing have more to do with "popular" music than talent has in a long time.

Which is why I haven't listened to the radio in like 5 years. Too many good bands I discovered in remaindered bins, and too much utter crap all over radio/MTV

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Hey, Farmgirl, don't you resent how one of the contestants is plagiarizing your nickname?
Nope, she makes it sound good! [Big Grin]

(p.s. I assume you're talking about Carrie. I haven't heard her use "Farmgirl" but she has a great country-singer type voice)

[ April 06, 2005, 12:27 PM: Message edited by: Farmgirl ]

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
You know, I read this title, and immediately thought, "Mr. Card gets rid of dirt and grime and grease in just a minute; Mr. Card will clean your whole house and everything that's in it."

Up for a cleaning job, Mr. Card? [Laugh]

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CRash
Member # 7754

- posted      Profile for CRash   Email CRash         Edit/Delete Post 
Broadway chorus or cleaning product? I'd go for the cleanser myself. More people would know your name, because of all the annoying commercials you could produce. Or how about this? Use your Broadway chorus IN your cleaning commercial!

"Mr. Card! Mr. Card! Mr. Card!"
"Available at your local supermarket for under five dollars!"

Posts: 973 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sartorius
Member # 7696

- posted      Profile for Sartorius   Email Sartorius         Edit/Delete Post 
What with The Apprentice: The Musical and all I don't know about being a broadway tune. Maybe if I could be written by Steven Schwartz.
Posts: 152 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
Poor Anthony. I actually laughed out loud during his performance. It was just such an absurd song to pick -- I couldn't HELP but picture the Mother Superior singing that song, and then I couldn't help seeing Anthony in a habit. He looked better than she did in it, but she sang it better, which made me laugh for most of the song. My son was furious with me. He likes Anthony.

What bugged me was that only Constantine seemed to have any familiarity with the classic musicals at all. Scott Savol had never even *heard* of Man of La Mancha?? My son will not have escaped his childhood without being subjected Seven Brides for Seven Brothers, Gigi, My Fair Lady, Camelot, Oliver!, and too many others to list. He liked SBfSB for the barn raising scene.

Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
No one sings like Ella Fitzgerald and that is rather sad.
Or like Nat King Cole.
More should sing as good as they do with their own warm nice little twist.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
B-HAX
Member # 6640

- posted      Profile for B-HAX   Email B-HAX         Edit/Delete Post 
On the American Idol thing...

Is it just me or does Paula Abdul seem drunk every night. She just seems to get more incoherent every week. Sounds like someone needs recovery in their life...

Posts: 70 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Speed
Member # 5162

- posted      Profile for Speed   Email Speed         Edit/Delete Post 
It's not just you. I saw her on The Daily Show last month, and I've never felt sorrier for Jon Stewart in all of my life. I'm pretty sure she was stoned. Every time he'd ask her a question, she'd just look around with her glassy eyes and say, "Oh, yeah... that was... nice..." or something like that. Jon was practically talking to himself for five minutes. Poor guy.
Posts: 2804 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

Paula Abdul seems to identify too much with the contestants. She and Randy were using completely unjustified superlatives for performances that barely achieved competence. Simon was right to keep trying to put things back in perspective.

Having said that, it's worth saying that there's only one really BAD singer with the group now - Anthony - and he's staying partly because he's the cute blond white boy and partly because he has such a great story.

I'm sad that Nikko is gone - he had style and flair - one of the best of them. And it was ridiculous to have the other two in the bottom three.

But then, last year the tiny-voiced, dead-faced Hawaiian girl stayed and stayed and stayed ... couldn't kill her with a stick. Just like the red-haired guy.

It's not about talent, it's about popularity.

But when it comes to staying power as singers, it's about performance and arrangement. Nikko's Broadway song was second only to Constantine's, in my opinion.

And Constantine has TOURED in a company of Rent. He's an actor - he knows what he's doing when he uses those eyes on the audience. The trouble is, he's doing it in a way that's tuned to STAGE, but feel way over the top ON CAMERA. Eventually that may backfire on him.

kaioshin00
Member # 3740

- posted      Profile for kaioshin00   Email kaioshin00         Edit/Delete Post 
My thread got hijacked! [Cry]
Posts: 2756 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
*pat pat* There are worse things, I mean they could be talking about reality tv *shivers*. Oh wait, gosh darn it, they are talking about reality tv. And Broadway, which isn't so bad. I've never watched American Idol and don't intend to, it looks stupid and unentertaining to me. [Dont Know] I guess I'm just weird because millions of people watch that show. Ah well.
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
I think this is as good a place as any to plug my newest favorite OSC nickname... Oncle Ourson.

It's fun! It's French! It's endearing! It makes wildlife references!

Anyone want to join me and see if it catches on? Anyone?

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

Je suis ecstatique!
aiua
Member # 7825

- posted      Profile for aiua   Email aiua         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I've never watched American Idol and don't intend to, it looks stupid and unentertaining to me. I guess I'm just weird because millions of people watch that show. Ah well.
For anyone who has watched it, and enjoyed, could they possibly explain it to me? What's so marvelous about it?
Posts: 1215 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
val
Member # 7687

- posted      Profile for val   Email val         Edit/Delete Post 
To me it seems like an auto accident on the highway - people may not want to see, but they can't help watching [Razz]
I'm not a huge fan, but the first few episodes are usually pretty funny /em shrugs

Posts: 16 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cashew
Member # 6023

- posted      Profile for Cashew   Email Cashew         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I'm 52, and I guess that makes me totally out of the demographic (certainly according to the programmers here, who've got it stripped every week night at 5pm), but I love it. The auditions are the best comedy around, with some genuine tragedy and pathos as well, and then you come across someone who can really sing. The cut down stages of the show I enjoy because I like to see people working and overcoming and growing in confidence in their abilities. Also it makes me realise how consistently good successful recording artists (most anyway) have to be. I wouldn't miss it, and I can't even vote! I like Simon too. When they get a compliment from him, they know it's worth something.
Generally I try to stay away from Idol discussions on this forum though because we're so far behind, which is why they're stripping it here. Aloha just got booted off tonight, so how far behind are we?

Posts: 867 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gryphonesse
Member # 6651

- posted      Profile for Gryphonesse   Email Gryphonesse         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Oncle Ourson
I dunno - smacks of Anne Rice to me...

[Eek!]

(and I am sooo glad I'm not the only one who thought of that Dr. Zaeus song from the Simpsons...)

Posts: 262 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trance
Member # 6623

- posted      Profile for trance   Email trance         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't care about what anybody says......I'm gonna stick with Mr.Card cuz I find it humorous (because im not a very formal kind of guy, I'll NEVER where a tie!) and besides, I'm sure I can think of worse things to call him.....ehem....
[Evil]

Posts: 112 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.