FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Encouragement thread

Author Topic: Encouragement thread
accio
Member # 3040

- posted      Profile for accio   Email accio         Edit/Delete Post 
This is an encouragement thread for you know who to start writing a Christmas book.
Hohoho! [Big Grin]

Posts: 333 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Syrjay
Member # 7706

- posted      Profile for Syrjay   Email Syrjay         Edit/Delete Post 
Santa Claus was killed by Achilles. Achilles was lying in a cardboard box in the streets of Rotterdam when the fat man dropped a toy his way. Achilles, waking up and realizing that the rosy-cheeked reindeer whipper had seen him vulnerable, decided to kill Santa.

The next year as Achilles pretended to sleep Santa reached down to give the young man a nice gift for taking care of the kids. Achilles reached up and slashed Santa's throat.

Merry Christmas

[Evil Laugh] [Evil Laugh] [Evil Laugh]

Posts: 33 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Suri-cool
Member # 7599

- posted      Profile for Suri-cool   Email Suri-cool         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree! Yet still I'd rather he write shadows in flight or the new Ender novel before the christmis one.
Posts: 86 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

- posted      Profile for Orson Scott Card           Edit/Delete Post 
If you'll postpone Christmas for me this year, I'll do as you ask.

Meanwhile:

Santa Claus gritted his teeth and once again made an attempt to reach the good girls and boys in Battle School - a number very much smaller than the total child population there, given the amount of elbowing in the battle room and cursing and taunting in the barracks.

"Upward!" he cried.

Dasher, who was leading tonight (and bitter about how all the credit for lead reindeer was given to the imaginary Rudolph), snorted, took a deep breath, and leapt upward.

They rose into the upper atmosphere. As the amount of oxygen per cubic meter declined steeply, the reindeer snorted and panted. Santa himself was gasping. It was always the same problem: how to achieve escape velocity before running out of air.

Once again, the reindeer slipped into unconsciousness; once again, gravity asserted itself and the sleigh began to drift, then coast, then fall rapidly downward. It was, as always, the heat of reentry that wakened them, as the friction with the air began to burn the balls right off those reindeer.

But a little physical discomfort was nothing to the disappointment Santa knew those good children would feel, to be ignored yet another year. If only Santa's magical power could reach beyond the atmosphere!

There's a start.... How's it going so far?

[ April 06, 2005, 09:34 AM: Message edited by: Orson Scott Card ]

Posts: 2005 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sartorius
Member # 7696

- posted      Profile for Sartorius   Email Sartorius         Edit/Delete Post 
February's a blah sort of month. Christmas in February would liven things up a bit.
Posts: 152 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NinjaBirdman
Member # 7114

- posted      Profile for NinjaBirdman   Email NinjaBirdman         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
There's a start.... How's it going so far?
[ROFL] Fantastic!
Posts: 204 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
accio
Member # 3040

- posted      Profile for accio   Email accio         Edit/Delete Post 
~It's beginning to look like Christmas~ [ROFL]
Posts: 333 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Syrjay
Member # 7706

- posted      Profile for Syrjay   Email Syrjay         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
the friction with the air began to burn the balls right off those reindeer.

[ROFL] [Evil] [ROFL] [Evil] [ROFL] [Evil]
Posts: 33 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verai
Member # 7507

- posted      Profile for Verai   Email Verai         Edit/Delete Post 
Santa thinks to himself, "Well now I'm going to have to take extra good care of 'em."
Posts: 169 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
polemic
Member # 7672

- posted      Profile for polemic   Email polemic         Edit/Delete Post 
Huh? says Santa as Richard Branson passes him in SpaceShipTwo, hoping to recruit a few battleschoolers for his new "Rebel Billionaire JeeshBoy" reality series...watch each week as battle school dropouts fight for the opportunity to fly around dangling from a helicopter with Sir Branson instead of fighting the bugger invasion!
Posts: 13 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jenny Gardener
Member # 903

- posted      Profile for Jenny Gardener   Email Jenny Gardener         Edit/Delete Post 
I like this. Santa's magical powers can't reach beyond the Earth's atmosphere. It makes sense to me. And so the Battle Schoolers never get to experience much of the Magic of Childhood. It gives me the cool shivers, and gets me imagining all over again...
Posts: 3141 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gryphonesse
Member # 6651

- posted      Profile for Gryphonesse   Email Gryphonesse         Edit/Delete Post 
burnt reindeer balls...

best christmas story ever!!!

[ROFL]

Posts: 262 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boothby171
Member # 807

- posted      Profile for Boothby171   Email Boothby171         Edit/Delete Post 
Did he say "balls"?

Did he mean "bells," or did he really mean "balls"?

Posts: 1862 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boothby171
Member # 807

- posted      Profile for Boothby171   Email Boothby171         Edit/Delete Post 
BTW, I cried at the end, and then I went in to hug my kids.
Posts: 1862 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0range7Penguin
Member # 7337

- posted      Profile for 0range7Penguin           Edit/Delete Post 
If Christmas was in February then December would be a blah month, plus you have Valentines day in February and thats fun. I think March is a boring month due to the lack of Holidays whatsoever.

The Santa Clause thing leads to the question, What about the tooth fairy? Does fairy magic workoutside the atmosphere? [Dont Know] [Big Grin]

Posts: 832 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
Bean crept over the ducting to get a better look. The man kept bustling about, always blocking the monitor, but Bean had learned how to be patient in the streets of Rotterdam. Impatient boys died. Bean was a survivor.

Finally he got a clear shot and watched as a password was entered. Bean memorized it easily and began backing up, inch by inch, to return to his barracks before anyone noticed. It took him nearly a half hour before he emerged, naked and filthy, from the vent grill.

After he climbed into bed and let his breathing patterns follow their natural rhythm into what would appear to be deep sleep, he slid his desk out and, curled around it to keep it invisible from prying eyes, logged in.

"CLAUS," he typed. "PASSWORD: KRING01." Amateur.

Long lists of Battle School students streamed past, each one with a "naughty" or "nice" designation. Obviously chosen arbitrarily, he noticed, as the labels had little to do with actual student performance and everything to do with how charming or personally ingratiating the students were. Such was the way of the world, even when you were no longer in the world.

Bean called up the list again and started changing some of the labels. Not all of them, just a few, here and there, to make sure that Ender's jeesh would get the recognition they deserved. Such largesse might be wasted on Bean himself, having never experienced the heady anticipation and family joys of Christmas, but it would help bond the others into a closer unit. That would be important, Bean knew. Soldiers without presents would feel less than the others, inadequate, left out.

He had finished -- after a quick mental struggle he decided to change his own listing to "nice" as well so as not to stand out -- and moved to sign off when he noticed another list. One keystroke and he was looking at the staff records.

In the darkness, Bean smiled. Oh, you've been a naughty boy, Graff...

[ April 08, 2005, 05:42 PM: Message edited by: Chris Bridges ]

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
pleasedon'tsueme pleasedon'tsueme pleasedon'tsueme pleasedon'tsueme pleasedon'tsueme pleasedon'tsueme pleasedon'tsueme pleasedon'tsueme pleasedon'tsueme pleasedon'tsueme pleasedon'tsueme ...
Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rose the ____
Member # 7791

- posted      Profile for Rose the ____   Email Rose the ____         Edit/Delete Post 
oh, Mr. Card won't sue you! it was too cute to get sued over. besides, people write fan-stories on fanfiction.net all the - oh wait. they use disclaimers aforehand. [Angst]

neway, folks, chill! he just gave us the end to the Bean Quartet! and month by month he's giving us a reimagining of Iron Man! Mr. Card is branching out into comics! if you want to read good work by him all you've got to do is go by your local comic book store - or maybe borders carries it, yeah, I think borders carries it... all you've got to do is pick one up every month and you've got 24 pages of a good story.

'cept there's no ender or bean or battle school or santa or castrated reindeer. <sigh>

Posts: 58 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
X12
Member # 5867

- posted      Profile for X12   Email X12         Edit/Delete Post 
And then, from the future, two men and a women come claiming that they must find Columbus and stop him- when suddenly, a swarm of buggars come and crash... no- take all enhabitants of Earth away to... PLuto.

The End

Merry Christmas

~Aphotic (X12)

(((I think I have a wierd sense of humor, oh well)))

Posts: 100 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jongo05
Member # 7580

- posted      Profile for jongo05   Email jongo05         Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL]
That's all I have to say.

Posts: 74 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vadon
Member # 4561

- posted      Profile for Vadon           Edit/Delete Post 
Well, what OSC said would explain why we've never seen a new generation of magical flying reindeer.
Posts: 1831 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GiantBeanGirl
Member # 7608

- posted      Profile for GiantBeanGirl   Email GiantBeanGirl         Edit/Delete Post 
was OSC totally serious about that opening? Because if he was, i would love to see how the rest of the story turns out. that was great! [ROFL]
Posts: 17 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Achilles
Member # 7741

- posted      Profile for Achilles           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
. Achilles, waking up and realizing that the rosy-cheeked reindeer whipper had seen him vulnerable, decided to kill Santa.
*adds Syrjay to list*
Posts: 496 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.