FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » The hive queen and the hegemon

Author Topic: The hive queen and the hegemon
Billy
Member # 7809

- posted      Profile for Billy   Email Billy         Edit/Delete Post 
I just finished the thirds book xenocide and the whole time i was reading that book i always thought that the hive queen and the hegemon were the same book, one book. I just relized that they were two different books as i am reading the children of the mind. Anyone else think that?
Posts: 14 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SmoG
Member # 7778

- posted      Profile for SmoG   Email SmoG         Edit/Delete Post 
The Hive Queen and the Hegemon were two different stories, written at different times, but they were combined into one volume which, I believe, later included The Life Of Human.
Posts: 31 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Door
Member # 7837

- posted      Profile for Door           Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, originally The Hive Queen and The Hegemon were written seperatly, but was combined at some point in time. Then The Life of Human was written, but I don't remember if CotM said it was combined with the previous two into one volume.
Posts: 6 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rose the ____
Member # 7791

- posted      Profile for Rose the ____   Email Rose the ____         Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder if anyone's going to write them in full. The Hive Queen and The Hegemon, I mean. with the info we've got by now it wouldn't be too hard, right? well - for anyone who's good at writing epic poetry anyway.
Posts: 58 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SmoG
Member # 7778

- posted      Profile for SmoG   Email SmoG         Edit/Delete Post 
It wouldn't have to be epic poetry. Xenocide has an excerpt of The Life of Human, and it wasn't poetry at all, maybe some poetic elements, but definately prose. I think only an Ender could write it..... how about Card writes it out for us if they make a Legends III?

[ April 21, 2005, 12:04 AM: Message edited by: SmoG ]

Posts: 31 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alistair
Member # 7858

- posted      Profile for Alistair   Email Alistair         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't imagine anyone could write The Hive Queen and the Hegemon simply because of the reputation that it would need to live up to. In the Enderverse the book was influential enough to completely change the views of humanity and even create a new 'religion'.
Posts: 38 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hamson
Member # 7808

- posted      Profile for Hamson   Email Hamson         Edit/Delete Post 
Alistair said:
quote:
I can't imagine anyone could write The Hive Queen and the Hegemon simply because of the reputation that it would need to live up to. In the Enderverse the book was influential enough to completely change the views of humanity and even create a new 'religion'.
Right, that's why (I think I read this in a different thread) OSC said that he would never write it, because if he wrote it, it wouldn't be nearly as good as everyone imagines it to be.
Posts: 879 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd think a good chunk of the shadow series made its way into the Hegemon. Just sayin'.
Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ramdac99
Member # 7264

- posted      Profile for Ramdac99   Email Ramdac99         Edit/Delete Post 
hey Billy, your not alone it wasn't until Ender wrote "the life of human" that i realized it was Ender's Third book of speaking.
Posts: 484 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DemonGarik
Member # 7793

- posted      Profile for DemonGarik   Email DemonGarik         Edit/Delete Post 
OSC clarifies this in SOTG when he puts the actual dialogue between Ender and Peter concerning the writing of The Hegemon.
Though I agree it would be interesting to read these books I think we get enough of a sense of them through Xenocide and COTM as well as SOTG that I am content.

Posts: 84 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.