FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » THE OSC "NO CATS WERE KILLED HERE" Thread

Author Topic: THE OSC "NO CATS WERE KILLED HERE" Thread
TheHumanTarget
Member # 7129

- posted      Profile for TheHumanTarget           Edit/Delete Post 
So I read the first five chapters of Magic Street, and I thought that it was very good, but in retrospect all I can remember is the story of the child crushing the kittens head. For some reason, this horribly vivid image is stuck in my brain... but I've become sidetracked...on to the question:

When your close family and friends read your stories, do they question where the inspiration for some of the more disturbing situations came from?

[ April 25, 2005, 12:12 PM: Message edited by: TheHumanTarget ]

Posts: 1480 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

- posted      Profile for Orson Scott Card           Edit/Delete Post 
No. They leave well enough alone.
Posts: 2005 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

Truth is, they know that all the "inspiration" for everything is my imagination. The good parts and the icky parts. I make it all up. They're ok with that, because I don't do any of it for real. It's safely contained within the pages of books and stories.
Posts: 2005 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheHumanTarget
Member # 7129

Although there have been a lot of missing kittens in your neighborhood...
Posts: 1480 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
[Frown] now I don't want to go read that....

If I hadn't known that was in there, I probably would have read it and handled it okay. But now, knowing that is in there... I can't convince myself to go start reading...

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheHumanTarget
Member # 7129

Sorry FG. How do I edit the topic to include a spoiler tag?
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
It's not in the first chapter Farmgirl, so you can safely read that and then see if you want to continue (he said, knowing that once she'd read the first chapter Farmgirl would be unable to resist the lure of the other four).
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Click on the "Edit/Delete Post" icon (that's the third icon from the left at the top of your post. It looks like a little piece of paper with a pencil over it) in the initial post of the thread. After doing so you'll be taken to a page in which you can edit your post. You'll see an editable text field labeled "Subject" (or something like that). Just click into that field and make whatever changes you'd like.

[ April 22, 2005, 01:14 PM: Message edited by: Noemon ]

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheHumanTarget
Member # 7129

Thanks Noemon. I was hoping to edit the title of the whole post though, not the message...
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
You can.
Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheHumanTarget
Member # 7129

Thanks PM. I hadn't clicked on the first post, just the most recent.
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

Yeah - editting the very first post in the thread allows you to edit the thread title.

(but I would have read it even with the spoiler warning) [Wink]

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Sorry I wasn't more clear Target. I thought I'd said "initial post", but I see that I didn't.
neo-dragon
Member # 7168

- posted      Profile for neo-dragon           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Truth is, they know that all the "inspiration" for everything is my imagination. The good parts and the icky parts. I make it all up. They're ok with that, because I don't do any of it for real. It's safely contained within the pages of books and stories.
That makes me wonder what would happen if OSC didn't have have his writing as an outlet... We'd probably be seeing him on the news [Big Grin]

[ April 22, 2005, 04:09 PM: Message edited by: neo-dragon ]

Posts: 1569 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MidnightBlue
Member # 6146

- posted      Profile for MidnightBlue   Email MidnightBlue         Edit/Delete Post 
And all of those poor kittens.... [No No]
[Big Grin]

Posts: 1547 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

I love cats. I wish I weren't so allergic to them. I not only would never hurt them, I never HAVE hurt them. Nor has anyone that I know personally ever tortured cats or killed them cruelly. And it is not described at ALL in Magic Street, beyond the bald statement of it that you have already read here. AND it is deplored by the point of view character.

What I wonder is: Someone so fainthearted that they can't read a book knowing that in it, there is mention of a kitten being killed - how do you ever read ANYTHING?

SpEeDMaSTeR
Member # 7568

- posted      Profile for SpEeDMaSTeR   Email SpEeDMaSTeR         Edit/Delete Post 
I tend not to enjoy OSC's realistic novels as much as the fast paced science fiction or fantasy type. I also refuse to read the first 5 chapters of anything without being able to buy it in a store immediately. What a teaser. [No No]

But on the topic of kitten killing, I really couldn't resist:
Don't Kill Any Kittens

[ April 23, 2005, 11:48 PM: Message edited by: SpEeDMaSTeR ]

Posts: 62 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ether_ore
Member # 7844

- posted      Profile for ether_ore   Email ether_ore         Edit/Delete Post 
When I read John Steakley's rip off of Starship Troopers called Armor (he admitted doing that in an interview), there was a chapter heading in there called 'Puppy in a Well'. If any of you have read that book, you will know there's a lot of description of gory fighting, but that one chaper describing a puppy in a well with its back legs broken disturbed me more than anything else in the book.

People are funny that way I think... unless the victim is a helpless innocent, there's less emotional involvement.

I've only read the first chapter of Magic Street... sufficent for me to want to read it. I didn't want to spoil too much of it for my self. I didn't get to the part about the cat.

Posts: 29 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SpEeDMaSTeR
Member # 7568

- posted      Profile for SpEeDMaSTeR   Email SpEeDMaSTeR         Edit/Delete Post 
Armor is also the name of a novel that was referrenced in my paperback version of Ender's Game in a letter by a fan. I believe it was titled Armour though, but the fan made the point that he identified with both Ender and the main character of Armour. Is this the same novel that you are talking about? I keep meaning to check this out of the library, and always forget.
Posts: 62 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ether_ore
Member # 7844

I have the book here in the truck with me, and it is spelled 'Armor'. The main character is Felix, but the story is told from two perspectives... From Felix's part of the time and Jack Crow's in others.
Posts: 29 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ether_ore
Member # 7844

By the way... I liked the book, and I wish Steakly had written a sequel. But, as far as I know, the only other thing he wrote was Vampire$.
SpEeDMaSTeR
Member # 7568

Yes, I distinctly remember the character mentioned as Felix in the foreword to the Ender's Game paperback. What an interesting coincidence.
Rose the ____
Member # 7791

- posted      Profile for Rose the ____   Email Rose the ____         Edit/Delete Post 
I keep hearing one of my favorite evil songs in my head now: Stephen Lynch's "Kill a Kitten" :-(.

"if the one you love isn't quite as smitten, she'll like you better if you
KILL A KITTEN!"

<shivers w/ salacious glee>

<disclaimer>: I have not, nor will I ever, kill or maim a kitten. I cannot say the same for my rabbit, he's a feisty lil' fellow and he's stood up to dogs twice his size. . .

ok, I should really read those 5 chapters now, huh. :-[

Posts: 58 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yozhik
Member # 89

- posted      Profile for Yozhik   Email Yozhik         Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't forgiven OSC yet for the slain hedgehog (yozh) in The Ships of Earth. That hedgehog was my brother.

[Razz]

Posts: 1512 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

You can get him back by feeding him misinformation the next time he comes to you looking for information on Salvic culture, folklore, and the like. [Smile]
TheHumanTarget
Member # 7129

All has been corrected. This is now officially the "No Cats Were Killed Here"-Thread. That should give everyone a warm fuzzy, and allow me to redeem myself in the eyes of those who think that I've accused Mr. Card of killing kittens. [Wink]
Jenny Gardener
Member # 903

- posted      Profile for Jenny Gardener   Email Jenny Gardener         Edit/Delete Post 
I like OSC's work because he doesn't sugar-coat the violence inherent in human nature. When I read "Ender's Game", I totally believed the violence and I came to understand that I also have that dark core. And killing the kitten, while disturbing, was an essential part of characterization. ALSO, it was critical to raising the sense of danger and moving the plot along.
Posts: 3141 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ricree101
Member # 7749

- posted      Profile for ricree101   Email ricree101         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I love cats. I wish I weren't so allergic to them. I not only would never hurt them, I never HAVE hurt them
So we're not going to see you up in Wisconsin during cat season?
Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mothertree
Member # 4999

- posted      Profile for mothertree   Email mothertree         Edit/Delete Post 
Farmgirl- A dog is poisoned to death in Enchantment and I'm pretty sure that was your favorite. There is also that guy they are stealing the eyes from who is eventually put out of his misery. It was certainly below that level if ick. He wasn't even describing it happening, just saying that one of the characters (a "bad guy" if I may be so bold) had done it once. And don't worry, if you wish to avoid it you can read as far as the "thing in a bag" being found.

Wow, this book has homestarrunner references all through it.

Posts: 2010 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheHumanTarget
Member # 7129

I'm not sure that Farmgirl was serious about being so traumatized that she could no longer read the book.
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

quote:
What I wonder is: Someone so fainthearted that they can't read a book knowing that in it, there is mention of a kitten being killed - how do you ever read ANYTHING?
Yeah -- I was kind of being facetious a bit. After all, I live on a farm and have been known to pull the heads off chickens to butcher them.

That said -- usually I handle these types of things in stories (like the squirrel in Ender's Game, etc.) better if I don't know they are there first. Just run across them in context.

Probably over half of Maps in a Mirror I would never have read if I had any idea how horrible it was and how much it would affect me. But read it I did, and I don't regret it - even though some of those mental images are very firmly stuck in my mind. And I would probably read it again - at least some of the stories. I don't know that I could ever read A Thousand Deaths again.

Farmgirl

aiua
Member # 7825

- posted      Profile for aiua   Email aiua         Edit/Delete Post 
This may sound somewhat morbid, but I got a lot more worked up about the death of the kitten then the possible death of the kid. I tend to pity animals a lot more than I do humans.
The first example that comes to mind is from All Quiet on the Western Front, by Eric Maria Remarque. He mentioned, very offhand, that a horse had to be put out of its misery, and that upset me so much more than the gruesome deaths of the soldiers that he had previously been describing.
Does anyone else care more about the animals than the humans? Just thinking, it's the humans' fault, not the animals- they had no choice.

Posts: 1215 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
Are you suggesting that it is the fault of the common soldiers that war happens? Because if you are, then I beg to differ.
Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheHumanTarget
Member # 7129

To clarify, I think that it's not the soldiers fault, however it is their decision to be involved(in most cases). Where as a horse is a horse, of course, and nobody can ask a horse if it wants to be involved.
Noemon
Member # 1115

That is, of course, unless the horse is the famous Mr. Ed.
aiua
Member # 7825

- posted      Profile for aiua   Email aiua         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, Target.
I just didn't like the fact that humans can defend themselves but animals, for the most part, can't. And it's usually the humans fault that the animals are injured.

Posts: 1215 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Silifi
Member # 7901

- posted      Profile for Silifi   Email Silifi         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
So we're not going to see you up in Wisconsin during cat season?
Well, it's not law yet. The Gov. is gonna veto it.
Posts: 14 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

Thank you, Jenny. Would you please follow me around and defend my work to others who find evil in it? <grin>
Jenny Gardener
Member # 903

- posted      Profile for Jenny Gardener   Email Jenny Gardener         Edit/Delete Post 
And how much does literary book defense pay?
*mulling it over*

I just call 'em like I see 'em.

Posts: 3141 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ele
Member # 708

- posted      Profile for Ele   Email Ele         Edit/Delete Post 
If I might....

Folks, irl, cats have come in for some pretty horrible treatment over the centuries. Even recently, there was some guy in Liberty, Missouri, who was caught grilling a living kitten in his back yard with his friends. One of his neighbors, an animal lover but far from a member of PETA in political orientation, heard the kitten's cries and the laughter of the gathered torturers and came over to see what was happening. She saved the kitten, but it had to be put down. She was going to press charges but backed off when the guy made threats to kill her.

Anyone who reads my posts knows that I love cats. My cats are like my children. And one thing that really concerns me about representation of animal abuse--especially cats **because** they seem, for some reason, to be peculiar targets of horrible people--is that sadistic people will take such representations to mean that this sort of thing is acceptable in our culture. This is especially true if they happen to admire the person who is presenting it. Honestly, I think representing the torture of a human child would be "safer" (although not, of course, "better") because at *least* there are severe penalities and public censure for doing that...while cat abuse is often treated light-heartedly as if it were a joke, even by otherwise normal people.

I haven't read the book...and can't now, though written by a man whose work I admire, because I don't read books that include animal abuse of any kind. It's just all I can do to say that this is completely unacceptable to me, even though I know that OSC did certainly NOT intend to convey that he hates cats or accords ANY kind of approval to animal or cat abusers. Of *course* no rational or humane person would think otherwise!

But someone who is so highly thought of by so many people must also realize that he is dealing in fantasy as well as in fiction, and for that fact I ask of him consideration of the point:

God gave us humans a holy charge to protect the earth, his earth, and the creatures in it, his creatures. (I wouldn't have backed down because of that, as the woman in Liberty did.) Whatever part of the definition of "dominion" that includes "use" doesn't include "abuse."

I'm asking you, one of my favorite authors, and anyone who might be reading this thread, to consider this what I believe to be an important and serious viewpoint.

Thanks so much for your kindness and compassionate interest,

~Ele

Posts: 745 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
"I haven't read the book...and can't now, though written by a man whose work I admire, because I don't read books that include animal abuse of any kind."

It's not what you think. Basically, a boy we're meant to sympathize with is forced to make a moral choice and renounce his friendship with a boy we're clearly supposed to find not only a bad influence but actively dangerous -- and to help establish the latter trait, OSC has the first boy recall (briefly and without much detail) the killing of a cat.

It's not particularly gruesome -- and certainly not glamorous or gratuitous.

Considering you've read Ender's Game, Ele, in which children are abused and killed "on-screen," so to speak, I find it surprising that this would put you off.

[ May 09, 2005, 09:51 AM: Message edited by: TomDavidson ]

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheHumanTarget
Member # 7129

I love the polarization that occurs when people either misconstrue a situation to the point it's no longer even recognizable or just immediately fling themselves into the fray to espound on their ideaology concerning a twisted version of the topic.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.