FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Another (writing) question for Uncle O

Author Topic: Another (writing) question for Uncle O
Leaf
Member # 7880

- posted      Profile for Leaf   Email Leaf         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,
before anyone suggests it, I have read just about everything on the 'Uncle Orsons Writing Class,' and actually, this question is related to the one covered on the trademarks/plagiarism topic.
On with the question...

If I am writing a fantasy book, and I wanted to make direct references to a poem, say... "The Hollow Men" by T.S. Eliot... and by direct references I mean to sort of say things in my story that are from the poem; - such as refer to somthing as "Death's dream kingdom," or "This is the way the world ends.." ect. well, am I allowed to do that? Or do I have to get permission from whoever owns those works now? Or do I just have to footnote it? The story doesn't absolutely depend on those references, but they sure add to it.
Im pretty sure you have not answered a question regarding this topic specifically, so thanks if you (or anyone else knowledgable) can help me.

And since I've never posted here before, let me just formally say Hello to everyone. I've been lurkin' here for awhile and you're all so great.

Thanks,
-leaf

[ April 24, 2005, 03:16 AM: Message edited by: Leaf ]

Posts: 46 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MidnightBlue
Member # 6146

- posted      Profile for MidnightBlue   Email MidnightBlue         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi! [Wave]
Posts: 1547 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

- posted      Profile for Orson Scott Card           Edit/Delete Post 
What you're proposing is called "allusion" and you are absolutely free to do it. In fact, that's one of the signs that a writer's works have penetrated the culture - that other writers feel free to allude to it without citation. You don't even need to point it out, since the pious assumption is that all educated readers will know exactly where the allusions come from.

When it becomes complete sentences, however, or complete thoughts, then it become necessary to cite it, either by mentioning the source in the body of the text, or citing the source in the acknowledgements. (In Hyperion, Simmons could cite Keats directly, since his future world included Keats and all his works; but in a medieval fantasy, you couldn't have people referencing T.S. Eliot, because presumably the novel takes place in a world where he never existed; so you'd cite HIM in the acknowledgements.)

Posts: 2005 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

If I am writing a fantasy book, and I wanted to make direct references to a poem, say... "The Hollow Men" by T.S. Eliot... and by direct references I mean to sort of say things in my story that are from the poem; - such as refer to somthing as "Death's dream kingdom," or "This is the way the world ends.." ect. well, am I allowed to do that? Or do I have to get permission from whoever owns those works now?

To make a long story short, what you're describing seems like it would fall well within the boundaries of permissible allusion.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leaf
Member # 7880

- posted      Profile for Leaf   Email Leaf         Edit/Delete Post 
Golly, thanks...
you guys are the greatest-

Posts: 46 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

- posted      Profile for Orson Scott Card           Edit/Delete Post 
Well, sure we are. Now that Jackie Gleason is dead and Mohammed Ali has retired from the ring.
Posts: 2005 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jenny Gardener
Member # 903

- posted      Profile for Jenny Gardener   Email Jenny Gardener         Edit/Delete Post 
On a related note, I've been thinking of doing some poetry related to sci-fi worlds. I'd like to immerse myself in the worlds and then write poetry as if I were someone in those worlds. And then see if I can Sell the poems. (I've noticed a dearth of good sci-fi poetry). What would be the ethics of such, and could it be pulled off?
Posts: 3141 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joshua Newberry
Member # 7864

- posted      Profile for Joshua Newberry   Email Joshua Newberry         Edit/Delete Post 
Jenny, if you can find a place to BUY your poetry, please please please pass on the publication.

Most literary journals seem to offer to publish, but not for payment. Such is the life of a published poet.

Posts: 57 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.