FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Rereading Enders Game after SoTG... WILL PROBABLY CONTAIN SPOILERS

Author Topic: Rereading Enders Game after SoTG... WILL PROBABLY CONTAIN SPOILERS
Syrjay
Member # 7706

- posted      Profile for Syrjay   Email Syrjay         Edit/Delete Post 
Last night after trying to watch horrible television, already catching up on my administrative work, and having rewatched True Romance again I decided to I needed to do something useful for my brain... Then I decided to screw that and reread EG. [Razz]
Kidding of course.

After being once again moved by the intro I started the first several chapters. I caught so much more about Ender's parents and Peter's humanity that was shown throughout SotH and SotG. I must give Card credit for staying mostly true to his characters throughout all his books.

The question I do have for Orson/Scott/ Card/Uncle Orson/Mr. Annoyingidiotlandsuperauthor is what happens to Peter's very dark side? Ender and Valentine always sense deep evil in him (Ender once called Peter a true killer, which is similar to how Bean perceives Achilles). Is his anger released when his parents show they love him for being Peter, or does it subside as he becomes older and more grown up?

Either way, I highly suggest to those people who have finished SotG to go back and read EG.

Posts: 33 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0range7Penguin
Member # 7337

- posted      Profile for 0range7Penguin           Edit/Delete Post 
As explained by Peter himself he was not Evil. He just always had to be in control and did so by tormenting and terrorizing his younger siblings. As he grew older he matured and used this need in a more constructive manner...
He took over the world [Big Grin]

Posts: 832 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

- posted      Profile for Orson Scott Card           Edit/Delete Post 
Ender was wrong about Peter. He could LOOK evil, but there were actually things he cared about more than himself and his own advancement.

Still, Peter does ruthless and dangerous things even in the Shadow books.

We did skip the places where he would use the power of the FPE to bring down dictators and crush revolts and attempted secessions. And he did exploit whoever was useful - his parents, anybody. It just didn't SEEM so awful because you were getting so much of it from Peter's own POV, so you saw WHY he was doing it and it didn't seem so scary.

But bringing Achilles to Ribeirao Preto? That wasn't the act of an altruist.

Posts: 2005 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm rereading Ender's Game and Ender's Shadow at the same time. Its the third time on both.
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
Every time I read the latest book in a series I am drawn to go back and reread the rest of the series.

So far it's only nominally taxing in the case of the various OSC series -- just reread the Ender's books, again -- but it can be daunting whenever a new Discworld, Spenser, or Callahan's series book comes out.

On the plus side, I do get that indescrible rush that comes with knowing what the next six books to read will be. It's the way a junkie feels when there's a full bag of the stuff on his lap...

[ April 25, 2005, 05:58 PM: Message edited by: Chris Bridges ]

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hyperfried
Member # 7892

- posted      Profile for Hyperfried           Edit/Delete Post 
It's a very interesting concept, with Peter's ambition and all. One thing that a reader must remember - Despite Ender's genious, his judgment of Peter was made before he went to Battle School at age five or six. Even with his own mental state, mistakes can be made, and aggression and ambition are easily confused with evil, when it really comes down to it. When you don't know the whole story (which Ender didn't), there's no way to quite get the whole thing right.
Posts: 53 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
I still don't get what the point of bringing Achilles to RP was. I don't see how Peter thought this would help him nor did it seem to me that Peter did anything with him once hewas there except to ignore him and let him build up power. Does anyone have a better idea of what Peter's great "I'll use Achilles to gain power for myself" plan was?

[ April 25, 2005, 10:59 PM: Message edited by: MrSquicky ]

Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
signine
Member # 7671

- posted      Profile for signine   Email signine         Edit/Delete Post 
Mr Squicky - It has been said that you should keep your friends close, but keep your enemies closer. That's exactly what Peter did. Achilles and Peter had similar goals, dissimilar methods, and equal ambition and aggression. If Peter had allowed Achilles to oppose him, he might have lost. If he brought him in, his chances of success doubled if Achilles choose to cooperate. Peter may or may not have known Achilles would not, but if Achilles did not cooperate, Peter's chances of destroying him and gaining access to the his network would be greatly increased by keeping him close.

That's exactly what he did. He eliminated his opposition, and put himself in a perfect position in which to do it, even if it exposed him and all of those who he was supposed to protect to great danger.

Posts: 68 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Syrjay
Member # 7706

- posted      Profile for Syrjay   Email Syrjay         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Ender was wrong
No no no..I refuse to believe my favorite six year old was wrong. Ever. [Wink]

Side note 1: I watched Finding Neverland the other day and I thought the child who played Peter would be a perfect Bean. He didn't seem right, maybe it was his role, for Ender but he reminded me of Bean. He played detached, intelligent, and yet deeply caring quite well.

quote:
But bringing Achilles to Ribeirao Preto? That wasn't the act of an altruist.
I remember reading this part of the books and being so annoyed. I was so engrossed in the book that I just wanted to yell at Peter telling him that was the dumbest move he could have done. I had to keep myself from speed reading too much (for fear of missing good bits) because I wanted to see how the situation played out.

Side note 2: I just wanted to say thanks to Card for being so dedicated to his readers. You're the most involved author I know, in regards to interaction with your readers. Tad Williams and Terry Brooks are the others who I have seen put so much effort into their fans. So, a hearty thank you.

Posts: 33 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.