FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Battle Room Strategy

Author Topic: Battle Room Strategy
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
Alright, I know this sounds like it's coming entirely from an obsessed Ender's Game devotee. Granted, that's not far from the truth.

But honestly, I know I'm not the only one here who enjoys strategy.

So, as you probably have gathered from what's been said already and from the title, this is a thread for discussing Battle Room strategy.

Any ehs? Any nays?

Despite what anyone may think, I'll discuss a tactic to start.

Rules
1. Try to have some organization.
2. Put a name and orientation.
3. Provide compliments and constructive criticism to others.
4. Have fun and be nice.
5. Finally, if you wish to post a counter-strategy, post it labeling it as such, and if you would like email the first poster for a one on one role play of the battle over IM, email, or, if Cuchulain gives her blessing, here.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Great Wall - Fake

Orientation - Enemy's Gate Down

Standard four toon army.

1. Toon C and D go straight down to the gate, with five members of each toon carrying guns, but firing rapidly at the enemy to psyche them out.

2. C and D soldiers lacking gun should do their best to shield those with guns, but their main goal is to aid in distraction.

3. Toon A B flank from the north and south walls, getting close and ready for perfect aim as enemy is distracted by the great wall.

4. The second the great wall begins to dissapate, the flankers begin open fire, with the best sharpshooters wielding dual guns that would have belonged to members of the great wall.

5. Two members with one gun each from both the N and S flankers heads behind enemy lines to secure the gate for later, and continue firing from the enemies rear.

6. The fun begins. And ends. The transition is relatively fast.

-------------------------------------------------

[ April 27, 2005, 08:25 AM: Message edited by: SteveRogers ]

Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sid Meier
Member # 6965

- posted      Profile for Sid Meier   Email Sid Meier         Edit/Delete Post 
A couple of possible flaws.

What happens if the the enemy only has ONE toon to defend against C/D and defend behind stars to limit C/D's effectiveness. While using the remaining 3 toons to ambush A/B toons or at the very least harass A&B and blunt their effectiveness?

Your move.

Posts: 1567 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alistair
Member # 7858

- posted      Profile for Alistair   Email Alistair         Edit/Delete Post 
To begin with I think we should assume an even star and random distribution (I doubt any of us could live up to Ender so an even setup is only fair)

If my army were in the middle of the Great Wall manuver and I saw you start to pull that I would have C and D push off of each other and start flanking from the front and back (from the gate down perspective). A and B on the other hand would push off of the wall, which they were sliding for the flank manuver, and have them dash from star to star laying down covering fire for C and D.

I also would not start the move with members of C and D sans guns. Taking guns away from an entire toon (or two half toons as the case may be) means that you have that many fewer soldiers that can immprovise an attack, and your toon leaders are also that much weaker when devising on the spot strategies.

Posts: 38 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sid Meier
Member # 6965

heh, the thread has turned into name you strategy and have everyone else try to out maneuver it. Virtual battleroom or what neh?
Posts: 1567 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0range7Penguin
Member # 7337

- posted      Profile for 0range7Penguin           Edit/Delete Post 
The great wall would first off be sitting ducks. I would have five toons. Devote two to massacring the giant target that is the great wall. Once my army catches on that only one in two men is carrying weapons they will target the ones with gun first. Devote two other toons to cutting off the toons coming at us on the north and south walls. My toons would have less men due to my five way split but I would have these toons set up on stars that cut off the North and South walls and let the enemy come to them from their defensive position. I would then take my fifth toon and bounce it off the East wall up and behind the "great wall." THis would be possible because my first two toons would be distracting the wall and with only one in two soldiers havign guns it would be easier to slip past. I would then have them come on whichever group is putting up the most resistance from the rear and cut them up. My plan against the Great Wall strategy is let the enemy come to you because its easier to defend than attack.
Posts: 832 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SmoG
Member # 7778

- posted      Profile for SmoG   Email SmoG         Edit/Delete Post 
Um..... Not to shoot holes into strategies, but aren't the guns attatched to the flash suits? This would eliminate the "only certain soldiers have guns" idea, neh?
Posts: 31 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sid Meier
Member # 6965

in the Battle Room the guns I think weren't attached from Ender's and Bean's descriptions of it.
dafadox
Member # 6885

- posted      Profile for dafadox   Email dafadox         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh my God. I love his books just as much as you guys, but get laid. Seriously.
Posts: 31 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheHumanTarget
Member # 7129

- posted      Profile for TheHumanTarget           Edit/Delete Post 
I think that this has reached a level that's almost uncomfortable to watch...
Posts: 1480 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sid Meier
Member # 6965

Uuuhhh yeah..... when I have the moeny so I can shower her with gifts.
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
I actually copied and pasted this from VBS to see what people would think. The strategy isn't even mine, I don't think it would work too well. Thats why it says Cuchulain towards the top.
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
It's a foolish idea.
There's a reason we don't deploy half our military with fake guns, and give two real guns to the other half.

It's because, when it comes down to it, a man with two guns is not twice as efficient at killing. And a man with no gun is not merely half as efficient at killing.

[ April 29, 2005, 09:23 AM: Message edited by: TomDavidson ]

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
olhando
Member # 7866

- posted      Profile for olhando   Email olhando         Edit/Delete Post 
this didnt get as many responses as i would have guessed!
Posts: 13 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.