FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Impossible!!!

Author Topic: Impossible!!!
BandoCommando
Member # 7746

- posted      Profile for BandoCommando           Edit/Delete Post 
Mr. Card, in his most recent review article said the following about "Eight of Swords" which is the first novel by David Skibbins:

quote:
And for those of you who are writers and can't stand the thought of somebody's first novel being this good, all I can say is: You're right. Your first novel isn't this good. But mine wasn't either. So live with it.
This is just plain untrue. Now, I haven't yet read Skibbins' work, but Mr. Card is implying that "Ender's Game" wasn't as good of a novel as Skibbins'. This cannot be true!!!!
Posts: 1099 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Portabello
Member # 7710

- posted      Profile for Portabello   Email Portabello         Edit/Delete Post 
Ender's Game was not Card's first novel.

IIRC, it was Treason which he later re-did as A Planet Called Treason.

Posts: 751 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frangy.
Member # 6794

- posted      Profile for Frangy.   Email Frangy.         Edit/Delete Post 
But Ender's Game isn't his first novel...
Posts: 111 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BandoCommando
Member # 7746

- posted      Profile for BandoCommando           Edit/Delete Post 
Hm...I must have been operating under a mistaken impression - I had thought it was his first published novel. I could have sworn that I read that in the foreword of the book...

I'm probably confused by the idea that Ender's Game was his first published novella/short story...or am I wrong about this, too? [Dont Know]

Anyway, I guess y'all are right. The following information comes from Amazon.com.

Planet Called Treason - June 1, 1980
Ender's Game - January 15, 1985
Treason - March 1, 1990

**Proceeds to eat his words**

Posts: 1099 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Taalcon
Member # 839

- posted      Profile for Taalcon   Email Taalcon         Edit/Delete Post 
Wasn't Capitol his first novel? Or is that considered more of a collection of stories?
Posts: 2689 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheClone
Member # 6141

- posted      Profile for TheClone   Email TheClone         Edit/Delete Post 
No, that would be Gert Fram, it was published a month before Ender's Game.

I think...

Posts: 87 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Taalcon
Member # 839

- posted      Profile for Taalcon   Email Taalcon         Edit/Delete Post 
OSC wrote the Story Gert Fram, but not the novel. IIRC, Gert Fram was based on stories another writer had made up as a child, and OSC got around to bugging her to write the novel herself - and that didn't happen until long after Ender's Game was published.
Posts: 2689 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alistair
Member # 7858

- posted      Profile for Alistair   Email Alistair         Edit/Delete Post 
I was under the impression that the short story that would later grow into The Worthing Saga was his first published story. Of course my beliefs have been cast into doubt as I have actually not heard of Capitol or Gert Fram, and as an avid OSC fan I am now ashamed and will go hide in a corner.
Posts: 38 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Treason
Member # 7587

- posted      Profile for Treason   Email Treason         Edit/Delete Post 
I think we can all see that I think Treason is an awesome book!
Posts: 870 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheClone
Member # 6141

- posted      Profile for TheClone   Email TheClone         Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry Taalcon! My response was to Bando not you (I was reading his biography where it mentions Gert Fram being his first published shorty story.)

I actually haven't gotten that far in Maps in a Mirror, yet. *Blushes.* I'm a little scared about reading the Lost Boys short story...

Posts: 87 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0range7Penguin
Member # 7337

- posted      Profile for 0range7Penguin           Edit/Delete Post 
Also whe are all assuming that when Mr. Card speaks of his first book that he is speaking of his first published book. He might have written a couple that where bad enough that he didn't publish them or had to make major major revisions before publishing them. Just a thought.
Posts: 832 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UofUlawguy
Member # 5492

- posted      Profile for UofUlawguy   Email UofUlawguy         Edit/Delete Post 
My creative writing professor at the University of Utah claimed that OSC was in his class when he sold his first story, and that he marched into class looking smug and waving a check around, making everybody hate him. I don't know how much of that to believe, but Prof. Camoin did admit that OSC was his only student ever to actually make a living as a writer. I think he was a little jealous, actually.

[ April 28, 2005, 11:28 AM: Message edited by: UofUlawguy ]

Posts: 1652 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

- posted      Profile for Orson Scott Card           Edit/Delete Post 
For a website that includes a complete bibliography of my works in order of publication, this is a rather disappointing collection of misconceptions <grin>.

Hot Sleep was my first novel. It was completely replaced by The Worthing Chronicle, which now makes up the bulk of The Worthing Saga.

Gert Fram was a short story I wrote. It was later published as a novel, but the novel was by Nancy Allen Black, who was the REAL Gert Fram as a child.

Capitol came out before Hot Sleep, but it is indeed a short story collection.

The short story version of Ender's Game was my first published science fiction. But the novel did not come out until 1985, almost eight years after the short story.

Posts: 2005 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tater
Member # 7035

- posted      Profile for Tater           Edit/Delete Post 
Well, he didn't deny your professor's claim.
Posts: 925 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.