FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Mr. Card -- Military?

Author Topic: Mr. Card -- Military?
dafadox
Member # 6885

- posted      Profile for dafadox   Email dafadox         Edit/Delete Post 
Mr. Card,

I was wondering if the thought of joining the armed forces ever crossed your mind, when you were younger.

As weird as it may sound, Ender's Game and Starship Troopers (the book, not the horrible movie) were two very large factors in my choice of joining the Marine Corps. Growing up playing and leading teams in war games (counter-strike, DOD), while using many leadership attributes I picked up from your novels, greatly influenced me to join.

Now, graduated from boot camp and infantry training, I will soon be leaving for Iraq to protect everything my Grandpa gave his life for many years back. I will definately be accompanied by every book you have written up to date, and re-reading them.

Everytime I read them, I ask myself how come you never joined the military? With your knowledge of how to lead and command people, and definately with your knowledge of strategy and tactics, I believe you would have been something great in the military.

How did the military affect you while growing up, and do you have any regrets?

Posts: 31 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jjmelberg
Member # 7099

- posted      Profile for jjmelberg   Email jjmelberg         Edit/Delete Post 
let me personally thank you for going over there and fighting for my freedom. you will be in our prayers.
Posts: 28 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

- posted      Profile for Jonathan Howard   Email Jonathan Howard         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, we have conscription, which I will elude.
Posts: 2978 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

- posted      Profile for Orson Scott Card           Edit/Delete Post 
Dafadox, I'm proud of you for going, and grateful as well.

I did think of joining the military; in fact, there was a time when I dreamed of West Point.

But gradually I came to understand that there was a physical component to military service. Marching I could have handled - I was in marching band - but I saw movies where people climbed ropes and went through obstacle courses and ... I realized that I would be a complete failure. I've never done a chinup in my life. Even when I was a skinny little kid I just couldn't lift my own weight. I was a lousy athlete. I was a decent but not great marksman with a .22 and also a deer rifle. I had visions of being the total loser in basic training and finally getting sent home because I was too despicably weak and inept to serve.

I make it sound exaggerated and funny now, but in my teens this was a really big deal to me. I was too young and dumb to be afraid of dying, or even of killing somebody else. What I was afraid of was the humiliation of failure in front of the other soldiers.

So I dropped the idea of a military career. Later I learned other reasons why I should not be in the military. Like, for instance, my complete inability to take orders from anybody about anything. This is a drawback in military life.

Still, if drafted I'm sure I would have gone, though with dread of my certain failure. But when my number came up, it was high enough that there was no chance that the draft lottery would take me.

And unlike my older brother, I didn't volunteer, because at that time my nation had obviously already decided to lose the Vietnam War, and I can't think of anything worse than to waste months of my life in service of a cause that we've already given up on.

But you're joining in a cause that we have most assuredly NOT given up on, and which is important to us and, perhaps, a large part of the world. Thank you for doing what I did not have the courage or humility to do when I was of the age to do it.

Posts: 2005 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dafadox
Member # 6885

- posted      Profile for dafadox   Email dafadox         Edit/Delete Post 
You have no idea how much that means to me. Everytime I hear someone thank me for my military service, or someone buys me a drink, I am reminded of why I signed up in the first place, and what I was willing to protect.

Coming from you, a man I would vote for presidency before anyone else, refer my college professors to your World Watch articles, the author I refer all of my friends to claiming you are the best author i've ever read (better than tolkien, herbert, etc.) really means a lot to me.

Anytime any of you see a soldier, remember that giving him praise will definately make his day and let him remember why he is doing this in the first place.

Thank you very much Mr. Card! (Can't think of any more flattery [Smile] )

Posts: 31 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

- posted      Profile for Jonathan Howard   Email Jonathan Howard         Edit/Delete Post 
He's right, of course. Joining the military is a noble cause, especially when there's no conscription.

quote:
Marching I could have handled - I was in marching band - but I saw movies where people climbed ropes and went through obstacle courses and ... I realized that I would be a complete failure. I've never done a chinup in my life. Even when I was a skinny little kid I just couldn't lift my own weight. I was a lousy athlete. I was a decent but not great marksman with a .22 and also a deer rifle. I had visions of being the total loser in basic training and finally getting sent home because I was too despicably weak and inept to serve.
All nice and pleasant, but I cannot be sent home. The "basic training" will shatter me too, but there's no way to get out - aside leaving Israel and being banned from it for many years to come, if not forever.

So I'm buggered, but those who go, or even yearn to go, I seriously value. Dafadox, [Hat] !

JH

Posts: 2978 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seespot
Member # 7388

- posted      Profile for seespot   Email seespot         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, dafadox, thank you ever so much for what you have chosen to do.

My husband is currently at basic training for the Army. He is going to be an officer in the Army National Guard. He always dreamed of being a marine, but then marriage and family came along. Also, age and being a little out of shape. So, he is fulfilling his dream of serving his country in the National Guard.

It bothers us greatly when people discover what he is doing and ask," Why are you doing this now???" As if now is a bad time to be in the military. I guess those people don't get it.

I am so grateful for the people who have decided to give their time, talents and lives for our freedom and the freedom of others.

Posts: 77 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheHumanTarget
Member # 7129

- posted      Profile for TheHumanTarget           Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you for your service to our country. Thank you for your service to our people. Thank you for your service to your fellow soldiers.

My family has been a military family for generations. My father, both grandfathers, all of my great-grandfathers, uncles, and most of my cousins belonged to one of the service branches.

As I was growing up, while everyone else was unsure of what they wanted to be, I knew. It was pre-ordained, I was going to be a soldier. Then when I was 14, I had cancer. The chemo and multiple surgeries took their toll on my body, and the remaining scar tissue in my abdomen disqualified me from service. So, at 17 years old, with an almost perfect ASVAB score, I was informed that the Army wouldn't accept me after college because of my prior health record.

So, giving up the dream, I moved on to other things. I married, and our first daughter was four months old when the towers fell. Two months later, the Army recruiting office called me to see "what I was up to." Now, mind you, this was almost six years after I had graduated high school. My life had moved to another track, and I chose not to go to OTS. I could not, in good conscience, change everything about my family's lives. My wife was supportive of whatever decision I wanted to make, but I knew that she was worried about moving, taking a major pay cut, and transitioning to being an Army wife. My dream was no longer mine, and I gave it up for good.

Now when I see a soldier, instead of envy, I feel pride that there exists those who will carry on the proud tradition of honor and sacrifice that is inherent in each of you.

Thank You.

[ April 29, 2005, 01:46 PM: Message edited by: TheHumanTarget ]

Posts: 1480 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Seatarsprayan
Member # 7634

- posted      Profile for Seatarsprayan   Email Seatarsprayan         Edit/Delete Post 
Some people join the military during peace, hoping to get money or benefits and get out before the next war, and when they end up being sent to fight, regret their decision.

dafadox, you are the real deal, and I admire your courage and selflessness. We need more people like you.

Posts: 454 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr_Megalomaniac
Member # 7695

- posted      Profile for Mr_Megalomaniac   Email Mr_Megalomaniac         Edit/Delete Post 
You are one brave and great dude, Dafadox. I'm glad there's people not like me who have courage and strength who believe in the cause that America is fighting for.
Posts: 142 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DarkKnight
Member # 7536

- posted      Profile for DarkKnight   Email DarkKnight         Edit/Delete Post 
Dafadox,
Thank you so much for being a member of our Armed Forces! I spent 6 years in the Navy and was a cryptologic technician (isn't that a great title?!?) over in Italy for Desert Shield/Desert Storm. Being in the military is pretty much the definition of "It was the best of times, it was the worst of times..."
You will be able to see and do things that very few people on this planet will ever get to experience.
Then again, you will have to see and do things that very few people on this planet will ever have to experience.
One piece of advice is to see as much as you can while you are overseas, travel as much as you can, meet as many people as you can. You will treasure those travels and encounters for the rest of your life!!!
BE SAFE!!!!!! DOn't forget to check with us too!

Posts: 1918 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beanny
Member # 7109

- posted      Profile for Beanny   Email Beanny         Edit/Delete Post 
Take care of yourself, dafadox. Fight for what's right, but at the end of the day we all want you back home. [Wave]

[ April 30, 2005, 10:52 AM: Message edited by: Beanny ]

Posts: 803 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.