FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Will someone Smack Novhinia in the mouth (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Will someone Smack Novhinia in the mouth
StickyWicket
Member # 7926

- posted      Profile for StickyWicket   Email StickyWicket         Edit/Delete Post 
how do you get Speaker For The Head out of SotH? forget that For starts with an "f" not an "o"?.......
Posts: 128 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GodSpoken
Member # 9358

- posted      Profile for GodSpoken           Edit/Delete Post 
Really old topic, but just got to the end of the Ender series and was waiting for a reason to add up Novinha so I could lose my desire to have Jane toss her Outside and leave her......

Byebye Novinha.

Yes, she had a tough emotional life, but she had a pretty ridiculously functional brain and lived with Ender for decades for crying out loud, and had Valentine to lay it out in outline form for her. She should have learned something, or at least aged beyond 12.

Most wonderfully annoying character I have ever read. Love her, hate her.

Posts: 49 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
Hate her. So much.

She is up there on the annoying scale with Petra's mother, Lared's mother, Ender's mother.... come to think of it, OSC doesn't write too many moms that well... hmmmmmm.

Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CRash
Member # 7754

- posted      Profile for CRash   Email CRash         Edit/Delete Post 
Agh, this thread has resurrected...

I disagree with the mother characters being annoying, Orincoro. I found them to be some of the most realistic, down-to-earth people of the series. I liked Novinha and Theresa Wiggin in particular. Of course, I've always identified with the females in Card's books because I am one. I think OSC does a fine job of writing moms.

Posts: 973 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't like Novinha at all. She really irratated me even as I fell sorry for her. Perhaps I was jealous of her for getting a lovely man like Ender. I didn't like Ender's mother's speech in one of the Bean books... It rather annoyed me a bit, and I have a specific reason why. The mother in Lost Boys was cool, but she bugged me the way she kept going on about her son having imaginary friends... Maybe it's because I am a solitary person myself so I dont' see not having a lot of friends as a big problem. Peggy's mother was cool. Especially the way she looked out for Arthur Stuart.
But Novinha irratates me to no end... Especially the jealousy thing. Dang, does that annoy me. I am so not like that.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

quote:
Originally posted by CRash:
Of course, I've always identified with the females in Card's books because I am one. I think OSC does a fine job of writing moms.

eek, then I'd like to see an example of some moms you DON'T approve of. [Razz]
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GodSpoken
Member # 9358

- posted      Profile for GodSpoken           Edit/Delete Post 
Oooo, seriously. I am both a female and a mother (most times one implies the other, but...) and this ownership thing is sick sick sick. You dont own or owe spouses and children. Your job as a mother is to support, teach, help them become whole people, not dependent clingons or teach them victimhood and "what about memememe".

Your job as a spouse is to be and have a helpmate, not buy something to use and own. "Forsaking all others" refers to the specific intimate family bond, not ALL bonds. There is more than one kind of love, and one friendship can be close and not interfere or replace another. I have many kinds with both sexes.

Problems in marriage are more often about loss of respect and friendship, not "theft" of an owned party.

Posts: 49 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
So true.
Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CRash
Member # 7754

- posted      Profile for CRash   Email CRash         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Orincoro:
quote:
Originally posted by CRash:
Of course, I've always identified with the females in Card's books because I am one. I think OSC does a fine job of writing moms.

eek, then I'd like to see an example of some moms you DON'T approve of. [Razz]
I'm not saying I approve of their mothering methods, I mean that I approve of them as characters. Most of the bland stereotypical moms in novels are actually the "best" mothers, but they bore my brains out.

I like Card's characters because they have conflicts, and are nowhere near perfect, and some of them are just plain horrible at playing parent. In fact, pretty much all of the Enderverse moms are the worst parents I've ever seen: Theresa Wiggin hiding from her kids, Novinha's secret and the way it keeps her from the children, Petra's year of war while her newborns stay at home.

It's fun to read about them. [Smile] (One mom I don't really approve of--as a character--is Lared's mom. Boring.)

Posts: 973 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

I agree about Lared's mom. That is actually my main complaint against all OSC moms, boring and predictable.

I meant "approve of" as in "like to read about." That wasn't at all clear [Smile]

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.