FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Very influential

Author Topic: Very influential
TheDisgruntledPostman
Member # 7200

- posted      Profile for TheDisgruntledPostman   Email TheDisgruntledPostman         Edit/Delete Post 
After i finished Speaker a couple of days ago, i talked to my english teach about it. We both agreed that it was a fantastic book, and she was very close to teaching it to 8th grade honors english. The only thing my teach couldn't get over was rememberin the names and puttin the name to the face in the begining of Speaker(my very same problem). So i told her some ways to get over this, and this time next year the new honors english class of 9th will be readin speaker.
Thats the great thing about you Mr.Card.
A, your still alive and writing great books.
B, your books just rock.
I would be reading Enders for 9th next year in Enlgish, but next year ill be in Honors so i wont be reading it(not that i already havn't).

Mr.Card, just wondering, do you know all the names of the schools that teach your books? Or atleast the name of the schools that buy your books. Because I think that number should be high.

Posts: 262 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

- posted      Profile for Orson Scott Card           Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for helping the teacher solve the name/character problem. I hoped my list of characters and my pronunciation guide would help....

There's no list of schools - I hear about some, but by no means all. I think the number IS high. At least ... Ender's Game goes onto the online bestseller lists every September, which suggests the influence of school purchases.

Posts: 2005 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trance
Member # 6623

- posted      Profile for trance   Email trance         Edit/Delete Post 
It's no fair....your rich and I'm poor.... [Wall Bash]
Posts: 112 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BryanP
Member # 7772

- posted      Profile for BryanP           Edit/Delete Post 
You can add Plymouth Middle School in Plymouth, MN (a suburb of Minneapolis) to the list.

That's where I got hooked....

Posts: 326 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
It's no fair....your rich and I'm poor.... [Wall Bash]
You don't even know what you're missing until you see all the gilded truffles adorning his house.

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
you're still alive
I have a feeling he too thinks that's great... [Wink]
Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Antony
Member # 7947

- posted      Profile for Antony   Email Antony         Edit/Delete Post 
How fantastic would it be to have written a book as accomplished and successful as Enders Game!
Posts: 95 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Occasional
Member # 5860

- posted      Profile for Occasional   Email Occasional         Edit/Delete Post 
I would think it fantastic just to get published. Currently, that is what I am working on doing, but haven't found an agent willing to take up my work. Not that I have submitted the work to that many. However, soon I might have to go the route of sending my work directly to publishers.

I know there are a lot of people who don't like self-published works. However, I personally put a lot of work into my novel (who doesn't even when it is crap) and therefore feel it deserved exposure. Of course, deciding to self-publish is a long way off right now.

As for "Ender's Game" and "Speaker for the Dead" in schools, considering what else is taught these are classics. It is amazing how honors classes teach what should be taught in average classrooms. Students should treat ALL classes as honor classes or find something else to do with their time. The demise of apprenticeship was the demise of good education for good students. Again, another tangent.

Posts: 2207 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheDisgruntledPostman
Member # 7200

- posted      Profile for TheDisgruntledPostman   Email TheDisgruntledPostman         Edit/Delete Post 
Mr.Card do you consider your books classics? Because two catorgories ive seen your books in is Sci-Fi Fiction, and Classics. Whats your opinion on you own books?
Posts: 262 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Antony
Member # 7947

a lot of people advise against self-publishing books because you will get NO support from the papers or anything, most places will outright refuse to stock your books for this reason and you'll have to pay for every bit of promotion of your work you do...

I advise you just keep sending your stuff off to publishers and hope for the best, keep writing and getting better and better and perhaps you'll get picked up at the right time!

Posts: 95 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kaioshin00
Member # 3740

- posted      Profile for kaioshin00   Email kaioshin00         Edit/Delete Post 
That sounds like the write way to do things
Posts: 2756 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Antony
Member # 7947

was that a deliberate pun?
*shakes head*

Occasional
Member # 5860

- posted      Profile for Occasional   Email Occasional         Edit/Delete Post 
If it was about money, I would agree. At this stage since I'm not getting any money, its about seeing my book in print. I would rather (at this time) get the thing in open market for SOMEONE to read than have two year's worth of work sit on my desk gathering dust.

There are companies out there that do the printing and promotional work for you, although for a price. I think reliance on "The Market" is self-abuse. For me, its not about the money, its not about the prestige. Its about the work. As such, I will do whatever I can to get it printed; traditional or personal.

Note: As I said, however, my "traditional" options are far from over.

Posts: 2207 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Antony
Member # 7947

do as you see fit.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.