FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Books for Children?

Author Topic: Books for Children?
Dr. Evil
Member # 8095

- posted      Profile for Dr. Evil   Email Dr. Evil         Edit/Delete Post 
I took SoTG out of the library recntly and a co-worker saw it on my desk. The binding had the "Teen" label attached to it and I was asked why I was reading kids books. This is something that has always bugged me: the pigeon-holing of the Ender's/Shadow series as kid's or teen books. These books may be about children but that does not make them children's books. The mentalities of the kids on the series are way beyond that of ordinary children.

This topic may have been discussed before as I am a relative newbie to posting on this forum.

Posts: 117 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
Be proud you're not so stuck up you turn up your nose at excellent juvenile fiction (not that I'd classify the Ender/Shadow series' in that category). I regularly re-read L'Engle's Wrinkle in Time series and the Anne of Green Gables books. There is some excellent story telling in the Teen section of the bookstore. [Smile]
Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anna
Member # 2582

- posted      Profile for Anna           Edit/Delete Post 
*nods*
Posts: 3526 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr. Evil
Member # 8095

I read the book "The girl Who Owned A City" a few years back which was definitely children's reading. Occasionaly I will visit my Mom's house and leave with a book from my childhood too. [Smile]

But again, the point is that these are not children's book and I wonder how the get slapped with this classification.

Posts: 117 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0range7Penguin
Member # 7337

- posted      Profile for 0range7Penguin           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm rereading the Narnia series, (I read them the first time in like the fifth grade) and their still some of the greatest books ever!

Did anyone see the trailor for the upcoming movie. Its either going to be the greatest thing ever or ruin part of my childhood. I'm excited and worried at the same time.

Posts: 832 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr. Evil
Member # 8095

Great series. No idea they were making it into a movie. I have seen 2 renditions of it in the past, one animated and one that was on PBS I believe.
Bella Bee
Member # 7027

- posted      Profile for Bella Bee   Email Bella Bee         Edit/Delete Post 
I loved the BBC version in the early 90's. But these days it's looking very tired - the special effects were revolutionary at the time but are very out of date in now.

I can't wait for the movie.

Posts: 1528 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pelegius
Member # 7868

- posted      Profile for Pelegius           Edit/Delete Post 
Firstly, I have found that the Ender books are usualy stocked in both Teen and Sci-fi sections. Secondly, many children have read and enjoyed the Ender books, including the more philosophical ones begining with Speaker for the Dead.
Posts: 1332 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
A wrinkle in time

Thanks! I forgot all about those books. I loved them. I'm going to get them and reread them.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
teoivan
Member # 8049

- posted      Profile for teoivan   Email teoivan         Edit/Delete Post 
Ender in teen section (12 years old) that sounds stange to me. When I wrote EG first time (maybe 10 years ago) it was not there. I wait for the movie as well, maybe it will come faster then next translation of OSC book by us.
Posts: 22 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.