FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Mr. Card, what is a typical day like for you?

Author Topic: Mr. Card, what is a typical day like for you?
johnsonweed
Member # 8114

- posted      Profile for johnsonweed           Edit/Delete Post 
I have always been curious about what a typical day for a professional writer is like. Do you work at home or go to an office? I don't need details (I'm not a stalker), but I expect that it is so far from my reality that I'd just like to know.
Posts: 514 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, I think he already posted about this once before. Let me see if I can find the thread...

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

Well, I'm not finding the exact one I want.

In this thread he says, for that day:

quote:

I am writing my brains out. For instance, today, after getting up at noon (after staying up till three ON HATRACK) (and, to be fair, also playing Millipede), I worked on my contract with Dabel Brothers Productions to have them adapt my novels Wyrms and Red Prophet into series of comics.

Then I answered a bunch of other emails and wrote a bio (of me) to include with a package we're sending to the manager of a certain star to get her to consider taking the leading role in a movie we're working on getting funded (no, you don't know what movie it is and I'm not telling because I don't want the star to think we're out blabbing on the web about her in particular).

Then I went to a rehearsal of Brigadoon. When I got home I ate dinner (tuna sandwiches and guarana and Penafiel sangria-flavored soda) and then watched Tru Calling with Kristine and then played Millipede and got an amazing new high score (over 150,000) and also got a new second-highest score on Mr. Do!

Then I came up here to work on the script for the Book of Mormon pageant thing we're doing Saturday (I might as well get it set now, though it IS still two days away) and then got sidetracked ON HATRACK.

So it's not like I'm not working.

Besides, I already posted my opening to Christmas at Battle School (or: Santa Claus Is Going to War) (or: Santa Blasts the Buggers). What more do you want?

But I was looking for the thread when he was talking about playing Civ II all day (an addiction he just quit recently) and something about annoying his wife or some such. [Big Grin]

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

Okay, he answers someone who asks that very question in this thread (although still not the one I was thinking of.)

OSC started posting a great deal right around the very end of March, first couple days of April of this year (much to the chagrin of those of us who were at BobnDanaCon and couldn't reply to him!) You can do a forum search for member 209 if you want to read his posts to get a better feel for him.

My favorite thread was the one where he was up late talking to himself. Which is This Thread [Big Grin]

Farmgirl

kojabu
Member # 8042

- posted      Profile for kojabu           Edit/Delete Post 
Haha that's a great thread
Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kaioshin00
Member # 3740

- posted      Profile for kaioshin00   Email kaioshin00         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Do you work at home or go to an office?
Hmm .. What would OSC need an office for?
Posts: 2756 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lupus
Member # 6516

- posted      Profile for Lupus   Email Lupus         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by kaioshin00:
quote:
Do you work at home or go to an office?
Hmm .. What would OSC need an office for?
Some people prefer to work in an office, so that they can separate "home" from work even if they are self employed.
Posts: 1901 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
johnsonweed
Member # 8114

- posted      Profile for johnsonweed           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Farmgirl:
Okay, he answers someone who asks that very question in this thread (although still not the one I was thinking of.)

OSC started posting a great deal right around the very end of March, first couple days of April of this year (much to the chagrin of those of us who were at BobnDanaCon and couldn't reply to him!) You can do a forum search for member 209 if you want to read his posts to get a better feel for him.

My favorite thread was the one where he was up late talking to himself. Which is This Thread [Big Grin]

Farmgirl

Thanks, FG!
Posts: 514 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hamson
Member # 7808

- posted      Profile for Hamson   Email Hamson         Edit/Delete Post 
Hehe, I just read over that entire thread that OSC started all by his lonesome self, and I must say that I am extremely amused and now know more about bananas than most monkeys.
Posts: 879 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

- posted      Profile for Orson Scott Card           Edit/Delete Post 
I have an office - in my house. I'm up in the attic, where I'm separated from the normal flow of life in the house. But I'm still reachable if I'm needed or something important happens.

We tried setting up an intercom, but it just didn't work right. So now we communicate by IMing each other. Yep, when my wife calls me to dinner, she walks into HER office (on the main floor) and sends a message via AIM, out into the Internet, where it winds around for microseconds and then returns to my attic.

When our cable modem is down, they can't call me to dinner and I end up living on applesauce in the little fridge I keep beside my desk.

Posts: 2005 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I work at home (in the basement), and my wife and I also communicate via IM all the time.

I need to get a fridge in here.

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kratos
Member # 7859

- posted      Profile for Kratos   Email Kratos         Edit/Delete Post 
Hah, I know that if I got a fridge down here by my computer, I would refuse to get off my butt for the rest of my life [Smile]
Posts: 23 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alluvion
Member # 7462

- posted      Profile for alluvion   Email alluvion         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't even begin to describe the inflationary boundaries of my envy for OSC's lifestyle.

minus the good recipe for a succulent pork-chop, but...

sorry, hold the phone.

"really? I never would have imagined! That's it?"

Posts: 551 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gosu
Member # 5783

- posted      Profile for Gosu   Email Gosu         Edit/Delete Post 
Hahaha
Posts: 102 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.