FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Orson Scott Card, Who Are Your Favorite Authors?

Author Topic: Orson Scott Card, Who Are Your Favorite Authors?
TL
Member # 8124

- posted      Profile for TL   Email TL         Edit/Delete Post 
OSC, who are some of your favorite writers, and why? I used to think you were a big Stephen King fan based on your analysis of his work in one of your writing books, but lately you've been panning his books. Do you still like his work? (Just one example).

If you take the time to answer this, I would be very curious to see the answer given in two sections.

1) Who are your favorite *genre* (scifi, fantasy, horror) authors and why ....

2) Who are your favorite, eh, mainstream authors (I'll call this stuff like non-fiction, religious, mysteries, etc) and why ....

Thanks!

Posts: 2267 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

- posted      Profile for Orson Scott Card           Edit/Delete Post 
I keep meaning to make up a whole massive list to answer this.

Meanwhile, though, what can I say? I barely read science fiction anymore (burned out on it after reviewing intensely for a decade or so).

Literary novelists, though - that's an easy list, because I like so few contemporaries. Richard Russo ("Nobody's Fool"), Anne Tyler ("Dinner at the Homesick Restaurant," "Back When We Were Grownups"), and Harry Crews ("A Feast of Snakes"). A few other more obscure ones - Tom Gavin, Francois Camoin - who never achieved bestsellerdom, but did beautiful work.

But when you ask for my favorite writers of "nonfiction" and "mysteries" and "sci fi" and "fantasy" - there's no way to answer intelligently without making a ten-thousand word essay out of it (just by commenting on each author!) and doing some serious memory jogging in my library.

So it ain't happening tonight.

Posts: 2005 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TL
Member # 8124

Hmmm, I like Francois Camoin. I have a signed copy of Benbow and Paradise, which has been out of print for so long, and is a very good book. His short stories, though, are the absolute best. Is the end of the world really Los Angeles?
Posts: 2267 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sid Meier
Member # 6965

- posted      Profile for Sid Meier   Email Sid Meier         Edit/Delete Post 
masel tov Asimov?
Posts: 1567 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alluvion
Member # 7462

- posted      Profile for alluvion   Email alluvion         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd be curious to know what OSC thinks of Auster. That's a transdisciplinary regime comparison, but balls on a felt canvas will careen this way and that in similitude.

I ask, because, as a reader, when I met (read) Auster, I felt I was somehow "graduating" from the confines of OSC's imagination.

Posts: 551 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Haloed Silhouette
Member # 8062

- posted      Profile for Haloed Silhouette   Email Haloed Silhouette         Edit/Delete Post 
Isaac Asimov, Arthur C. Clarke. That's enough to make the world go round. (That is, except a minor physical stback which is the fact that their physical-gravitational effect upon Sol is rather limited.)
Posts: 358 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lego feet
Member # 8093

- posted      Profile for lego feet   Email lego feet         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd like to know what Orson Scott Card thinks about William Gibson!
Posts: 39 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually if you read his weekly column you can get a pretty good idea of which authors he reads and why, cuz he reviews a book every other week or so.
Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I'd like to know what Orson Scott Card thinks about William Gibson!
http://www.hatrack.com/cgi-bin/ubbmain/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=034489
Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TL
Member # 8124

Thanks Chris. Had no idea.
alluvion
Member # 7462

I think this is a fun question for a couple of reasons:

1. It's safe to say that Card knows his way around the SF arena.

2. He doesn't seem to have a lot to say about adult fiction in the literary genre despite his oft mentioned misgivings.

Posts: 551 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lego feet
Member # 8093

- posted      Profile for lego feet   Email lego feet         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Papa Moose!
Posts: 39 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UofUlawguy
Member # 5492

- posted      Profile for UofUlawguy   Email UofUlawguy         Edit/Delete Post 
Unfortunately, the last time I heard, Orson Scott Card is not on Francois Camoin's list of favorite authors.

(Although he does like to talk about him.)

Posts: 1652 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alluvion
Member # 7462

who is Francois Camoin? (I'll look it up)
alluvion
Member # 7462

oh, cummon 'now?
TL
Member # 8124

He is a professor at the University of Utah who, at some point in maybe the late 70's, was on his way to becoming a literary giant. He sort of fizzled out, though, after the first couple of books. (He hasn't published much since). That was like 30 years ago, I guess.

I'm from Utah, and I got on a "local writer" kick at some point and read a bunch of Camoin, Stegner, Ron Carlson, uh, sci-fi people like Shayne Bell and Dalton Woodbury. Mostly odd sort of obscure people.

Camoin was by far the best. Yes, even better than Stegner. I said it. His short stories are so, so good.

I don't know much about him personally or why he would be bagging on Card, but he's pretty awesome.

TL
Member # 8124

Uh ...

*looks around*

I know a stalkerish-lot about writers most people have never heard of.

[ June 21, 2005, 07:09 AM: Message edited by: TL ]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.