FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » EG Movie: Idea for discussion (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: EG Movie: Idea for discussion
Mirkmaid
Member # 8208

- posted      Profile for Mirkmaid   Email Mirkmaid         Edit/Delete Post 
I hope it's not going to be animated. If it is animated, people might take it as a children's movie. I prefer the non-animated stuff, most of the time, anyway. [Big Grin]
Posts: 25 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Peter
Member # 4373

- posted      Profile for Peter   Email Peter         Edit/Delete Post 
JN has a wonderful point that i wanted to get across but didn't know how until now. Anime is exactly like those CG movies, if you don't think about it, then they don't seem so fake.

TL, i don't think that's what he meant to say.
quote:
or have and just don't like it.
I think that that is what he did say and meant to say.
Posts: 283 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mullitt
Member # 7826

- posted      Profile for Mullitt   Email Mullitt         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Peter:
JN has a wonderful point that i wanted to get across but didn't know how until now. Anime is exactly like those CG movies, if you don't think about it, then they don't seem so fake.

TL, i don't think that's what he meant to say.
quote:
or have and just don't like it.
I think that that is what he did say and meant to say.
Maybe he didn't say it, but a lot of other people did. That's basically the response you get when you say you don't like anime around people who do: "All anime isn't Pokemon." Maybe some people just don't like anime.
Posts: 20 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TL
Member # 8124

- posted      Profile for TL   Email TL         Edit/Delete Post 
Peter, I don't understand you.
Posts: 2267 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jacob Calder
Member # 7945

- posted      Profile for Jacob Calder           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Joshua Newberry:
In the original post, you cite Jar Jar Binks, Yoda, and Gollum as the only purely-CG characters we have examples of in movies. This is simply not true--remember the horribly-written-but-beautiful Final Fantasy movie? The entire thing was CG, good enough to fool the mind if you didn't think about it in some instances. And if that's the quality we had four years ago, imagine now, with computers as powerful as they are. We may not get such a thing for this movie, but somewhere down the line, perhaps if we are lucky, we can get a miniseries-type deal going and have the book translated as it should be, containing most(if not all) of the book's events, such as Peter and Valentine's subplots.

My guess is that a live action Ender's Game will have CG characters in the Battle Room, it's just too easy to add the children's faces to CG bodies floating around the Battle Room.

Final Fantasy tanked at the box office. That's what people remember about the movie. FF cost $140+ million to make, Sony spent atleast $35 million marketing the hell out of the movie, and it only made $32.1 at the US boxoffice.

Warner Brothers is gonna expect Peterson to deliever a movie that will be a big blockbuster. They're not gonna fork out 100+ million for a movie that doesn't have a chance to make it's money back.

I really love animation, but I don't see a big budget animated movie being made that isn't like Finding Nemo or Shrek. After how poorly Final Fantasy and Titan AE flopped so badly, I don't think an animated Ender's Game could ever get the budget too be done properly.

Posts: 14 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sid Meier
Member # 6965

- posted      Profile for Sid Meier   Email Sid Meier         Edit/Delete Post 
I forgot about Final Fantasy, it was okay I geuss not what I expected from a Final Fantasy title though. Though that was just stoyline/plot etc the CG was great and if not Anime then I hope its CG at leats in the battleroom if its blendable.
Posts: 1567 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kaioshin00
Member # 3740

- posted      Profile for kaioshin00   Email kaioshin00         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Anime is 2D animation. Sure you can get some depth with perspective, etc. but its not anything like CG which is 3D animation - much more similar to live action.
Posts: 2756 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tarrsk
Member # 332

- posted      Profile for Tarrsk           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I fail to see the difference in CG and anime. Both are non-real, therefore both look unnatural. Not that that is a bad thing.
There's a HUGE difference, and I'm saying this as someone who can't stand most anime (I love Miyazaki, but don't like much else). 90% of CG (basically everything non-Pixar/Dreamworks) is designed to look as realistic as possible, whereas animation is inevitably stylized. It's supposed to look "unnatural." Any attempt to create photorealistic CG children within the next decade, at least, would fail simply because, no matter how much processing power you have, no matter how advanced your rendering technology is, there is too much subtlety in human movement to nail with computer animation.

Animation, whether it be hand-drawn or computer-generated, gets around this by making no claims at photorealism. The mere suggestion of a movement is enough to get the idea across. The audience understands that photorealism is not the goal, and thus can suspend its disbelief well enough to believe that what they are watching are characters rather than drawings. Of course, it also helps that animators have had nearly a century to refine their art form. [Wink]

As an example, take a man waving his arm. This is simple for a skilled animation artist; it's just a matter of drawing the frames. Mildly time-consuming, perhaps, but the artist can intuit the necessary movements, and his resulting animation will suggest the wave without showing every tiny detail. A CG artist from "Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within", on the other hand, would need to worry about the physics of cloth movement, making sure the arm musculature contracts and shifts realistically, nuances of lighting, skin shaders, and tons more. Nailing that to the point where the audience cannot tell that the character is CG is damn near impossible... even people who know nothing about moviemaking will still feel a subtle "wrongness" about the resulting shot. Keep in mind that it's hard enough to make completely fictitious creatures such as dragons, oliphaunts, and that weird lizard thing from Episode III look photorealistic. It's orders of magnitude more difficult to make a believable CG human being.

[ June 14, 2005, 05:40 AM: Message edited by: Tarrsk ]

Posts: 1321 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
buttonsnupnup
Member # 8222

- posted      Profile for buttonsnupnup   Email buttonsnupnup         Edit/Delete Post 
Just reading this topic made me want to post!
I've thought for a long time about anime being used for Enders Game, i think the film could be made, and made well, entirely in anime, however i do think that with anime there comes a certain level of detachment that does not exist with live action films.
I think this is evidenced in the use of anime in Kill Bill Vol. 1, anime is used to show scenes that otherwise would be unlikely to make it past the censors, but yet manage to flesh out a characters backstory while at the same time putting up a barrier between the viewer and the horror on screen.

For this reason i would like to see anime used at certain times, or possibly rather than anime, the technique used in the forthcoming A Scanner Darkly, which reminds me of the one used on the Orcs in the animated Lord of the rings film.

I think these techniques would best be used for, the death of stillson/combat rooms/the game with the giant etc. to lend a sense of unrealism to the proceedings.

Anyway just my two cents(pence?)

Posts: 1 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
The problem is not that EG couldn't be effectively represented as anime, I don't think anyone's disputing that. The problem is that, for now, no anime film is going to be a commercial success.
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr_Megalomaniac
Member # 7695

- posted      Profile for Mr_Megalomaniac   Email Mr_Megalomaniac         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by El JT de Spang:
The problem is not that EG couldn't be effectively represented as anime, I don't think anyone's disputing that. The problem is that, for now, no anime film is going to be a commercial success.

Here's hoping that "Howl's Moving Castle" will do really good.
Posts: 142 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joshua
Member # 7591

- posted      Profile for Joshua   Email Joshua         Edit/Delete Post 
I have yet to see a bad Miyazaki film. He is one of the best directors ever, anime, film, whatever. Mononoke Hime (Princess Mononoke) is one of the best movies ever made. I'm sure the next one will be stunning as well.
Posts: 12 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CRash
Member # 7754

- posted      Profile for CRash   Email CRash         Edit/Delete Post 
As for an animated format, anime or otherwise, I don't think that makes for a successful move. Sure you could manipulate characters more easily, but this is the age of CGI. Anyone can see a little boy fly in a "cartoon". But to make it a real living boy...like, this could actually happen one day...that is attractive. There're not that many people who've read Ender's Game, especially around my high school. Around one in twenty teens, maximum. So naturally they won't go just to see a film version of the book. They'll go to see a movie, and a feature-length "cartoon" is not very appealing.

Let's face it--animation in the U.S. will always be associated with Disney, and Disney makes its full-length animated films primarily for children. Teenagers see "animated" and think, I'm way too old for this. (I'm assuming that the primary market will be the U.S.; correct me if I'm wrong.)

Anime is beginning to rise again, it's true...but the successes are few and far between. The only anime that I've watched and didn't feel cheesed-out by recently was the Animatrix shorts. But I'd choose the real movies every time...for the illusion of authenticity I felt while watching them. I can only recall one okay anime movie that appeared in theaters recently in my area (Spokane, WA) which was Spirited Away, and it only showed at one theater. I know about five people who actually saw it. Conclusion: Anime EG has about 1000:1 odds of being a box-office smash.

The thing is, I like Ender's Game among many scifi novels because it seems realistic. I don't want to see triangular hair, large eyes, and flashy color backgrounds ruining *my* Ender's Game. [Razz]

Posts: 973 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sid Meier
Member # 6965

- posted      Profile for Sid Meier   Email Sid Meier         Edit/Delete Post 
wait... if the arguement has come to the point that we're argueing numbers can anyone field how much japanimated films (there were some) hsve made minus costs? and how much all the possilbe series(s) have made made on average released in US/Japan figures? After all I've heard that Yu-Gi-Oh! The Movie made a decent amount of money.
Posts: 1567 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.