FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » OSC's involvement in Game Industry

Author Topic: OSC's involvement in Game Industry
Ender0715
Member # 8246

- posted      Profile for Ender0715   Email Ender0715         Edit/Delete Post 
First I have to say that I am new to the forums [Hat] ... I have been reading them for a couple of years but haven't taken the time to interact with them [Wall Bash] ... And I am a big fan of the Ender and Homecoming series'.

Now that I have said that...

I am a big gamer always looking at the new games that come out and all the conferences that are out there... I noticed that OSC was at the recent E3 because of his involvement with RPG story lines... I am trying to find out what games they are, anything that he has help with has to be good...

[The Wave] [The Wave] [The Wave]

And on the note of gaming... I have noticed on here and several other places the worries of the aging child in the EG Movie that is in the works... With OSC's involvement in the gaming industry why not simply write the whole book into a GAME... With the power of the new systems that are coming out this year the video games are going to be able to do anything, everything, and look like live action... There is no end to what could be done with the book in a video game platform... With most of the games out there having a single player and online play in one game... Single Player could be the Book down to what Ender is thinking... There is no end to the possibility in a single player campaign... And when you thing of the possibility for the online game... The game starts and there you are with 20 of your friends and you see the wall fade away... You tell everyone "A" Squad North wall, "B" Squad South wall, "C" Squad Direct attack, "D" Squad Stay Back and Suppression Fire... Everyone starts running in and going for it and you are sitting there in the middle of the battle... This would be the ultimate game and if done correctly could set a whole new standard in First Person Shooters/Role Playing Games...

I just think that a person playing as Ender or Bean would be almost as intense as reading the book... Tell me what you think everyone...

OSC what do you think??? Is it possible???

Posts: 1 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
"With OSC's involvement in the gaming industry why not simply write the whole book into a GAME..."

Because that would suck.

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheDisgruntledPostman
Member # 7200

- posted      Profile for TheDisgruntledPostman   Email TheDisgruntledPostman         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sorry to tell you Ender, but a game like that wouldn't last. Levels would get old, the mulitplayer would get repetitive. With single player as Ender, people would get bored, because what did ender do besides the mind game, beat up bonzo, and the battle room. He studied, and watched the buggers. Hmm fun, making the book into a game would get a lot of fans angry if it was even remotely bad. Ender's game was a great book, and hopefully will be a good movie too, but a video game is stretching it. The game Orson just helpe wrote is a game you could play. It's not based on anything and players don't have to get angry about how it wasn't anything like the book. So in conclusion, and Enders Game video game wouldn't work.
Posts: 262 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eyetell
Member # 8229

- posted      Profile for eyetell   Email eyetell         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd have to agree with them, but what about an online game with actuall commanders and armies?
Posts: 46 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
An online Battle Schoolish thing, sort of like Everquest, would be cool. Choosing who would be commanders might be hard. And they'd have to have a bunch of servers because there can only be 40 people in one army, and there are I'd say around 25 armies. If a lot of people played, it could get hairy. But it could work.

Edit: But that is what VBS is basically.

Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Kidd
Member # 2646

- posted      Profile for Chris Kidd   Email Chris Kidd         Edit/Delete Post 
hey ummm steve VBS is more story plotand chracter driven than RPGs. and im sure theres a few long lost VBSers here that could tell us a few good stories.
Posts: 513 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Feiwaltan
Member # 7912

- posted      Profile for Feiwaltan   Email Feiwaltan         Edit/Delete Post 
the game OSC worked on is the Advent Triligoy, the first came out for the X-Box already and its called Advent Rising. this has to be one the best game ever, though there is a slight problem with the game being a little unpolished, but i have to recommend playing this game. this is a game that is on a epic proportion, and its one ofthe few game that diliver more than what they promised. and on the other note about an Enders Game video game, that could work as long as you had the right people working on it. the game could be sweet, they would have to do it like the movie, where you play as both Ender and Bean, and may be even some other ppl,ie Peter. the game would definately have to be an action/rpg, the parts that would be no fun to play could be cutscenes and the rest could be playable. it could have multiple onle ccapabilites one where you play in the battle room, another where your on eros and fight the buggers as comanders, another could be the fantasy game, thats like four different games in one. that would be fun. what do you ppl think? [The Wave] [The Wave] [Party] [ROFL] [Confused] [Dont Know] [Wall Bash]
Posts: 29 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0range7Penguin
Member # 7337

- posted      Profile for 0range7Penguin           Edit/Delete Post 
Why does X-box get all the good games. I am still stuck with a gamecube. [Wall Bash]
Posts: 832 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
A Rat Named Dog
Member # 699

- posted      Profile for A Rat Named Dog   Email A Rat Named Dog         Edit/Delete Post 
MY EYES!

[dies from overexposure to emoticons]

Posts: 1907 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by A Rat Named Dog:
MY EYES!

[dies from overexposure to emoticons]

Oh dear.

I don't think this is going to go over well with the 'rents . . . [Angst]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Kidd
Member # 2646

- posted      Profile for Chris Kidd   Email Chris Kidd         Edit/Delete Post 
ok Rivka I'll get rid of the body and you clean up the mess. and if anyone asks he's on a research mission for a new video game.

:: drags the body off to hide at Pweb :: [Big Grin]

[Evil] [Monkeys] [Evil Laugh]

Posts: 513 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bork
Member # 7283

- posted      Profile for Bork   Email Bork         Edit/Delete Post 
A game based on the story of 'Ender's Game' could not be done, I would actually be surprised if any of Cards work could be made into a video game based off the story.
I could possibly see a strategy game made off of the fights with the buggers, or possibly a battle room game. However, a battle room game would have to be done well especially on the types of innovations with camera works and movement that would need to be put into place, and I would NOT want to see Majesco do it judging by the technical strain for already done gameplay elements in 'Advent Rising' and how unpolished the game was.

Posts: 17 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Feiwaltan
Member # 7912

- posted      Profile for Feiwaltan   Email Feiwaltan         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Chris Kidd:
ok Rivka I'll get rid of the body and you clean up the mess. and if anyone asks he's on a research mission for a new video game.

:: drags the body off to hide at Pweb :: [Big Grin]

[Evil] [Monkeys] [Evil Laugh]

::a cop pulls over as you take the body out
"is there a problem here?"

Posts: 29 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cashew
Member # 6023

- posted      Profile for Cashew   Email Cashew         Edit/Delete Post 
A few years ago I did a search at amazon for OSC and up came Metal Gear Solid. A mistake, or did he have something to do with the game?
Posts: 867 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kaioshin00
Member # 3740

- posted      Profile for kaioshin00   Email kaioshin00         Edit/Delete Post 
Has anyone played the fellowhsip of the ring game for hte Xbox based on the book? It's probably the worst game ever. Collecting mushrooms, pshh.
Posts: 2756 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alluvion
Member # 7462

- posted      Profile for alluvion   Email alluvion         Edit/Delete Post 
Lemme tell you a little story (and I think this sentiment can be found amongst many a fan)
Posts: 551 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puppy
Member # 6721

- posted      Profile for Puppy   Email Puppy         Edit/Delete Post 
Kai, are you thinking of the Hobbit game?
Posts: 1539 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheDisgruntledPostman
Member # 7200

- posted      Profile for TheDisgruntledPostman   Email TheDisgruntledPostman         Edit/Delete Post 
no, kaioshin is right, the fellowship of the ring for the xbox is the worst video game ever, ever!
Posts: 262 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puppy
Member # 6721

- posted      Profile for Puppy   Email Puppy         Edit/Delete Post 
Huh, I usually don't let games slip by my gamedar ... Interesting.
Posts: 1539 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kaioshin00
Member # 3740

- posted      Profile for kaioshin00   Email kaioshin00         Edit/Delete Post 
Heres a link
Posts: 2756 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aragorn64
Member # 4204

- posted      Profile for aragorn64   Email aragorn64         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Why does X-box get all the good games. I am still stuck with a gamecube.
The XBox has a few really good games.

But the GameCube also has some really good games...some of the best ever made, IMO. There are also awesome games and ideas you can find on the GameCube that you cannot find anywhere else.

So don't worry. Be happy. ^_^

Posts: 290 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.