FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » absalom (when david heard)

Author Topic: absalom (when david heard)
musyklvr
Member # 8279

- posted      Profile for musyklvr   Email musyklvr         Edit/Delete Post 
ok. i am just starting to truly find my spirtuality. and i don't own a bible yet.

(that's another question...can someone recommend a good version?)

anyway, i love the music of eric whitacre. i sang a few of his songs when i was in the chamber singers at duquense university, and i fell in love with "when david heard", which merely says, "When David heard that Absalom was slain he went up into his chamber over the gate and wept, my son, my son, O Absalom my son, would God I had died for thee!"

then i was rereading _ender's shadow_ and bean cries out that same sentance.

would god i had died for thee.

i have looked up the story online, but can only find the children's version. can anyone help me understand this story?

thanks in advance.

*love and sunshine*
jessyka

Posts: 8 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Liz B
Member # 8238

- posted      Profile for Liz B   Email Liz B         Edit/Delete Post 
NRSV story of David and Absalom

My preferred version of the Bible is the New Revised Standard Version, although it's a little harder to read than the NIV (New International Version). I prefer the NRSV simply because of stylistic issues -- I think the language is nicer. In a lot of cases, people's preferred translation is based at least in part on their denomination, so you may get lots of other recommendations.

As for understanding the story, there it is in the NRSV; I'd be glad to discuss it with you further if you have questions or comments . . . but I don't want to give you my take on it until you've read it for yourself.

Have you ever sung Randall Thompson's "Last Words of King David" or The Peaceable Kingdom? They're two of my favorite settings of Biblical texts.

-liz

Posts: 834 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
musyklvr
Member # 8279

- posted      Profile for musyklvr   Email musyklvr         Edit/Delete Post 
"the last words of david" by randall thompson...it's been years, but that was always one of my favorites as well. of course, his "allelujah" is his most popular, but there's just something about the text...

i used to sing at the first baptist church in pittsburgh, pennsylvannia, and the director, david, had us do many gorgeous classical compositions. i wish i could find another church with music like that. i think my favorite song we did, though, was by alan hovhaness..."from the end of the earth." and i always enjoyed "the lord bless you and keep you" by john rutter.

i will look up your link...thank you for your help. i'll also let you know my views. [Smile]

*love and sunshine*
jessyka

Posts: 8 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ProverbialSunrise
Member # 7771

- posted      Profile for ProverbialSunrise   Email ProverbialSunrise         Edit/Delete Post 
I also enjoy my NRSV bible. I think that's because I agree with the commentary that the editor added in . I disagreee with the commentary in the NIV.
Posts: 132 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Short version: Absalom was David's third son. When David's elder son raped Absalom's sister, Absalom had him killed. The other sons of David feared a coup and fled. Over time, Absalom schemed to take the throne and managed to gain a great deal of popular support -- finally fielding an army and successfully conquering Jerusalem, driving his father from the throne. The whole time, David mourns Absalom's betrayal; he apparently really loves his son. Absalom's army is finally destroyed in a decisive engagement, and his head gets caught in a forked branch (!) as he rides away on his mule, at which point he's killed by some javelins thrown by Joab, one of David's generals. Joab brags about this to David, who then falls into grief. (Joab rebukes him for this unseemly grief in the very next verse.)

Of course, shortly thereafter, David gets to pick the punishment for his ordering a census. He leaves it up to God, who decides to kill seventy thousand people.

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
We use ESV; its easier to read than the King James' version, but closer to the original language than the others.

--j_k

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Starr R
Member # 8361

- posted      Profile for Starr R   Email Starr R         Edit/Delete Post 
...my son, my son, O Absalom my son, would God I had died for thee!"
... and Bean cries out that same sentance.

I know what you mean! When I read that I had to put the book down--all the words suddenly became wobbly and hard to read. Very emotional. Kudos to OSC.

Posts: 68 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Epictetus
Member # 6235

- posted      Profile for Epictetus   Email Epictetus         Edit/Delete Post 
Personally, the story of King David is one of my all time favorites in the Bible.
Posts: 681 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Earendil18
Member # 3180

- posted      Profile for Earendil18   Email Earendil18         Edit/Delete Post 
Eric Whitacre's a capella pieces are beautiful, especially "When David Heard". Interesting story too.
Posts: 1236 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.