FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Magic Street Coming June 28

Author Topic: Magic Street Coming June 28
ProverbialSunrise
Member # 7771

- posted      Profile for ProverbialSunrise   Email ProverbialSunrise         Edit/Delete Post 
It says on the main page that Magic Street comes out on June 28.

quote:
- Coming June 28th -
Magic Street

If this is so how did I get it from my library 3 days ago. I don't understand. Could someone please explain this phenomenon.
Posts: 132 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Your library has a time portal. It's not really something I'd advertise, unless you WANT your library to suddenly become ridiculously overcrowded.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
When it gets too crowded, they just ask people to leave and come back earlier.
Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
R. Ann Dryden
Member # 8186

- posted      Profile for R. Ann Dryden   Email R. Ann Dryden         Edit/Delete Post 
[Big Grin]
Posts: 180 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leon the Professional
Member # 8267

- posted      Profile for Leon the Professional   Email Leon the Professional         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh yeah?! Well...um, I got Magic Street last week! So HA!

Ok now that I'm back to reality, I don't know why your library had the book so early. Maybe libraries have special privileges and get books before the general public can purchase them. Maybe it was released somewhere else first and that person brought it to your library? Maybe it's fake? I dunno.

Posts: 35 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jqueasy
Member # 7085

- posted      Profile for Jqueasy   Email Jqueasy         Edit/Delete Post 
Just picked mine up today, i will start it when i finish Pastwatch.
Posts: 52 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theamazeeaz
Member # 6970

- posted      Profile for theamazeeaz   Email theamazeeaz         Edit/Delete Post 
Libraries and bookstores get the books before the realease date. In America bookstores/movie shops put out new realases on Tuesdays. To get it there for that Tuesday, the books need to be received before then Correct me if I'm wrong, but in England this day is Saturday (why HP ALWAYS comes out on a Saturday). Every so often the bookstores put it out before the date (which happened with SOTG). Or in the case of the libary, the books come in, and tech services finishes working with them before the release date, and it goes to the first people requesting it. If you are first on the list for a newly published book, often times you will be called before the date. It's not too hard to be first if you make stalking the online request catalog for your favorite authors a must-do everytime you visit the library. Libraries don't care about release dates at all, but for the most part, realease dates of books aren't that rigid. If you make puppy dog faces at the person at the bookstore inventory computer, you can get him/her to get it for your from storage. However, if the book becomes available in the middle of the week before the official launch, it kills the first day rush that can put books on the bestseller lists. While OSC likes being on the besteller list, he doesn't mind too much when people purchase the books early from a bookseller because he gets the royalties to feed his family no matter what.
People only rigidly respect release dates with something like the Harry Potter books. Booksellers/libraries will still get the books sometime in the week before the release. They just can't be given to customers/patrons until then. Don't think the people who work in any of those places aren't human and have no curiousity about the book. However, Scholastic/Bloomsbury will simply sue the pants off anyone who breaks the injunction *if they find out*. It's about spoilers and small children. Oh yeah, and breaking sales records.

Posts: 1757 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ProverbialSunrise
Member # 7771

- posted      Profile for ProverbialSunrise   Email ProverbialSunrise         Edit/Delete Post 
Thank You. I liked the time portal idea better. I'm going to stick with it instead.
Posts: 132 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.