FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » What would have happened if the buggers won the "3rd Invasion"???

Author Topic: What would have happened if the buggers won the "3rd Invasion"???
Leon the Professional
Member # 8267

- posted      Profile for Leon the Professional   Email Leon the Professional         Edit/Delete Post 
I recently reread Ender's Game, and also Ender's Shadow, and this question came to mind when I was reading both of them. What would have happened if the humans lost? Well, for one, we wouldn't have a lot of the other books by OSC, but that's irrelevant [Razz]

I mean, imagine that Ender lost. Then all of the people that were watching him would simply assume that they were all going to die in about 80 years, enough time for the buggers to return to Earth. Maybe they could do what they did with Mazer and keep the kids around through the interstellar travel, keeping them young and training them more, but what about the general population? Would the high officials even tell the public? Would they try to start a mass colonization of other planets, would they try to build a better fleet to fight the buggers again? Would they even try diplomacy instead of war? There's a million possibilities, but what does everyone think?

BTW, I wouldn't be surprised if this has already been discussed, so I apologize if it's a repost.

Posts: 35 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TrapperKeeper
Member # 7680

- posted      Profile for TrapperKeeper   Email TrapperKeeper         Edit/Delete Post 
I could answer that, and I'm sure alot of others could too around here Leon, but it would contain a spoiler or two about Speaker for the Dead series.
Posts: 375 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
They could be on their way here right now.

I'm gonna get packin.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leon the Professional
Member # 8267

- posted      Profile for Leon the Professional   Email Leon the Professional         Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, well I've read Speaker for the Dead and I'm working on Xenocide right now. I dunno, I guess if you wanna post something or email me, just let me know what book(s) you will be giving spoilers for.
Posts: 35 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TrapperKeeper
Member # 7680

- posted      Profile for TrapperKeeper   Email TrapperKeeper         Edit/Delete Post 
Naw, I'll just write it here cause I'm lazy.

Basically the Hive Queen said that she realized that the humans were intelligent, self aware beings towards the end of the second invasion and made the decision that she wouldn't attack again.

So if we had lost, people may have believed it was coming again, and steps may have been taken to prevent it, but it would not have happened.

What would of happened? Well, its fiction, so your fiction is as good as mine.

Posts: 375 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gsee
Member # 3479

- posted      Profile for Gsee           Edit/Delete Post 
Assuming Ender lost, and the hive queen was going to attack earth again. I think the powers that be would have dropped back 10 yards and punted so to speak. They most likely never would have told Ender he was actually fighting the war, they would have continued building ships in preparation for the defense and continued Enders training so he wouldn't lose again. Assuming he could be rehabilitated after the emotional breakdown of the last battle. They most likely would have sent him on a journey to slow his aging like they did with Mazer at some point. So that he was still young when the attack came. I think logically that's the only course the fleet could have taken at that point.

That's if you base it all on the information contained in Enders Game alone, knowing now what we know about Bean it's very possible Bean would have been placed in charge of the defense.

Posts: 29 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ill malkier
Member # 8244

- posted      Profile for ill malkier   Email ill malkier         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Leon the Professional:
Would they try to start a mass colonization of other planets

I really doubt they would... where would they have colonized to. I don't remember which book said it, but weren't most of, if not all the initial worlds they colonized old Bugger worlds. I think so, in which case, the Buggers would still have been there, or aware of the human landings-- I doubt a mass colonization would have worked.
Posts: 84 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gsee
Member # 3479

- posted      Profile for Gsee           Edit/Delete Post 
Plus if you colonize mutliple worlds then you have to defend multiple worlds, that would just spread the IF defense force thin.
Posts: 29 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
The Formics DID later tell Ender that once they realized their mistake-which was during the course of the wars-about humanity's true nature and sentience, they would've backed off.
Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leon the Professional
Member # 8267

Yeah, they did slightly mention that last part in Ender's Game, I believe. Since they didn't attack, it only made sense that they no longer had the desire to eliminate the human species.
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, they definitely did attack. But they didn't realize they were attacking.
Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.