FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » I was wrong, very very wrong.

Author Topic: I was wrong, very very wrong.
TheDisgruntledPostman
Member # 7200

- posted      Profile for TheDisgruntledPostman   Email TheDisgruntledPostman         Edit/Delete Post 
For the longest time i was so wained toward Bean and the Shadow series. I never even thought of reading Speaker, Xenocide, or Children. Me and my (other Card fans) would get into arguments over who is better, Bean or Ender. Of course i would always say Bean because those were really the only books i read, but now i can't say that anymore. This last year i've re-read Enders Game, then Speaker, and today just finishing Xenocide and on the way to Children. And now i can honestly say Ender has an equally compelling character line as Bean. Whenever i finish one of Mr.Card's books i always feel such a form of acomplisment, does anyone else get that feeling?
Posts: 262 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gosu
Member # 5783

- posted      Profile for Gosu   Email Gosu         Edit/Delete Post 
Discussions like these always get me annoyed. What do you mean "better"? Who can beat the hell out of who? Who can eat more gravy? Personally I think Graff would win both of these.
Posts: 102 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheDisgruntledPostman
Member # 7200

- posted      Profile for TheDisgruntledPostman   Email TheDisgruntledPostman         Edit/Delete Post 
haha
Posts: 262 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CRash
Member # 7754

- posted      Profile for CRash   Email CRash         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, Graff may eat more gravy, but nobody whups up like Mazer.
Posts: 973 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Occasional
Member # 5860

- posted      Profile for Occasional   Email Occasional         Edit/Delete Post 
I think Ender is better because he is far more nuanced as a person. His struggles are more than his own, but of universal importance. He is constantly struggling between doing what is best for himself because of human nature and doing things for others out of guilt. Bean, on the other hand, is an interesting character with less layers. He is much more predictable and a typical hero. Bean is a man of action and science much more than Ender who decided to become more a man of thought and phylosophy
Posts: 2207 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ben Cruz
Member # 8332

- posted      Profile for Ben Cruz   Email Ben Cruz         Edit/Delete Post 
Ender also got a bit more time to live and become more nuanced. Bean's life was more simple and focused... that is, until he met Petra...
Posts: 4 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jiminy
Member # 7917

- posted      Profile for Jiminy   Email Jiminy         Edit/Delete Post 
Ender is, out of all the books I have read, the fictional character I hold closest to my heart. And this is why my future daughter is going to marry into Senor Card's bloodline, whether either of the parties involved like it or not.
Posts: 88 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chungwa
Member # 6421

- posted      Profile for Chungwa   Email Chungwa         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I feel accomplished when I'm done reading an OSC book. Or any books I enjoy, really.
Posts: 367 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.