FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Whoa..my library actually got...

Author Topic: Whoa..my library actually got...
DF2506
Member # 6847

- posted      Profile for DF2506   Email DF2506         Edit/Delete Post 
MY LIBRARY ACTUALLY GOT MAGIC STREET!

I could not believe it! I went to the library today to look for some books for an assignment I have to do for my American Lit 2 class and there it was in the new books section. I just couldn't believe it!

My library only has a few other Card books: Treason, Worthling, Prentice Alvin, and Wryms! Thats it! I've had to order the other OSC books via library loan!

So it was really suprising that the library got a brand new OSC book like Magic Street! I mean, the library didn't even get Shadow of the Giant when I suggested it to them (thankfully I finally bought that one).

Anyway, I'm really happy. I checked Magic Street out from the library and plan to read it after I finish reading the book I'm reading for my assignment (The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn. This will actually be my first time reading it..).

I'm looking forward to reading the book though. The preview chapters that I read on-line were really dark chapters and I wasn't sure if I wanted to buy the book or not. I knew that I'd read it if I can get my hands on it though. I have a feeling that the later chapters of Magic Street are going to be really good.

Has anybody read this book yet? What are your non-spoiler thoughts on the book?

DF2506
" This reallly does give me hope for future OSC book releases, although I still prob want to buy the next Alvin and Ender books whenever they come out."

Posts: 128 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sands
Member # 8344

- posted      Profile for sands   Email sands         Edit/Delete Post 
i only own one OSC book and that's ender's game which i just bought. i get all of my books from libraries and have noticed that although they have plenty of scifi books the only ones read are in the "young adult section" Tom sawyer was better then huckleberry. i haven't read Magic street yet but will add it to my reading list
Posts: 48 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DF2506
Member # 6847

The only OSC book I own is Shadow of the Giant. I could not get my library to get it and its way too early to loan it from another library (I couldn't wait to read it), so I bought it. I like it quiete a bit.

As for Huck Finn vs. Tom Sawyer, I have read Tom Sawyer (well most of it anyway) and liked it. Too early in Huck Finn right now for me to say which one I like better. Huck Finn is called the classic of the two I hear. Everybodies got their own preferences though.

I hope to get done with Huck Finn soon though so that I can read Magic Street! [Smile]

DF2506
" Today's been a really good day for the most part! I'm so happy about getting Magic Street! "

Posts: 128 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MidnightBlue
Member # 6146

- posted      Profile for MidnightBlue   Email MidnightBlue         Edit/Delete Post 
I loved Magic Street. It had some plot twists that I really didn't predict, and it kept my attention well throughout the whole thing.
Posts: 1547 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blackthorne
Member # 8295

- posted      Profile for Blackthorne   Email Blackthorne         Edit/Delete Post 
Huck Finn is a lot more adult and less adventurous than Tom Sawyer. It deals a lot more with moral courage and racism, than with two kids having fun.

As for my library, I rarely use it. My sister sends me any book she thinks I should read (most of the time she's right), so there isn't really any reason for me to go there. I own Ender's Game (surprisingly, in three copies), all of the shadow series, all of the Alvin books, Enchantment, Treasure Box, two of the Homecoming series books, Stone Tables, and I am planning on getting Magic Street soon. I'm not really worried about the library not having any OSC books. [Smile]

Posts: 60 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DF2506
Member # 6847

Huck Finn is a lot more adult and less adventurous than Tom Sawyer. It deals a lot more with moral courage and racism, than with two kids having fun.<

Exactly. Though there are a few fun moments in the book.

I'm about half-way through with the book now and I like it alot. Its a great book!

As for OSC books, I have no one to borrow books from expect the library and most of the time I don't have enough money to buy any of the books.

Anyway, I can't wait till I'm finished with Huck Finn so I can go read Magic Street! I'm looking forward to it!

Oh and I hope to buy Speaker for the Dead, Xenocide, the rest of the Shadow books, and possibly Pastwatch sooner or later. I'd like to own more OSC books!

DF2506
" After I read Huck Finn, Magic Street, and I hope the new Harry Potter book, I might read Enchantment. Thats an OSC book I haven't read yet."

CRash
Member # 7754

- posted      Profile for CRash   Email CRash         Edit/Delete Post 
Definitely read Enchantment. I think it's great; it's one of my favorite OSC books.
Posts: 973 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dog Walker
Member # 8301

- posted      Profile for Dog Walker           Edit/Delete Post 
I like to buy the card books. I like having them in my house so that i can read them again when ever i want. I own 25 of OSC's books and plain on getting them all. I have at least bought enough books to get Mr. Card a steak dinner. [Big Grin] I have read both Huck and Tom and I liked Huck better. I still have to do my summer reading but I still have read Magic Street and will read the Potter book. I guess i just cant bring my self to read "Guns Germs and Steal". [Wall Bash]
Posts: 86 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DF2506
Member # 6847

I finished Huck Finn recently and I have to say that it was a GREAT novel. MUCH better then Tom Sawyer, imo. Classic novel. I really need to get a copy of Huck Finn. In fact, next time I get paid I plan to get Huck Finn and OSC's Speaker For the Dead, my favorite Ender novel!

Anyway, I started reading Magic Street..but..well...I got the new Harry Potter today and I couldn't resist reading that...so....Magic Street will have to wait. IF I don't get done with Harry Potter before I have to take Magic Street back..well, I'll just have to check it out of the library again (or check it out some other time).

So now, I'm on Chapter 6 of the Harry Potter book. So far, its really good (although not much has happened yet).

I still want to read Magic Street though. Its definitly next on my list after the new Harry Potter!

DF2506
" And after Magic Street, I'll read Enchantment! "

Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

- posted      Profile for Stone_Wolf_           Edit/Delete Post 
I have a big OSC library, although I've owned more and lent them out never to be seen or heard of again (hey at least the books are good enough to steal).

I was going to list all the OSC books I own, but I think it would be faster to list the ones I don't own...Magic Street, Shadow Pupets, Sarah, Rebekah, Rachel and Leah, & The Ships of Earth.

I need to pick up Magic Street and Shadow Pupets to reread the shadow series before I plunge into SotG.

My friend is going to lend me his copy of the 1/2BldPrnc, can't wait on that...never did read Huck Fin...*shrug*

Posts: 6683 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.