FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » The Desktop

Author Topic: The Desktop
Qrios
Member # 5259

- posted      Profile for Qrios   Email Qrios         Edit/Delete Post 
OSC is the first writer I have read who has integrated the internet and the computer into the daily life of his characters. Enders Game has been assigned reading for my daughter twice now, in 4th grade and in 8th grade. We need more books for young people that relate to their lives! They live on AIM and MySpace and text messaging. Have you seen other writers who use current technology?
Posts: 39 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
If by "current technology" you mean "modified near-future technology," there are LOTS of writers out there -- from Tad Williams to William Gibson to Neal Stephenson -- who meet those criteria. Few of them are suitable for children, though.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

- posted      Profile for Orson Scott Card           Edit/Delete Post 
The fun thing is that all the writers Tom mentioned - and I, too - wrote those works BEFORE the internet was integrated into everyone's daily life. Now it feels contemporary - but twenty years ago, we were being futuristic <grin>.
Posts: 2005 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
*is amused by the absence of a comment regarding English teachers who assign EG* [Wink]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kaioshin00
Member # 3740

- posted      Profile for kaioshin00   Email kaioshin00         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
We need more books for young people that relate to their lives! They live on AIM and MySpace and text messaging.
We don't need to encourage kids to chat online!

All authors should write book where characters plant trees and chop wood for those in need.

Posts: 2756 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sands
Member # 8344

- posted      Profile for sands   Email sands         Edit/Delete Post 
where i live no one would dare to assign ender's game in 4th grade. We read it in high school. i definitly think we should read it earlier though.
Posts: 48 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CRash
Member # 7754

- posted      Profile for CRash   Email CRash         Edit/Delete Post 
I read it when I was eleven -- I liked it, but I like it more now, four years later.
Posts: 973 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gsee
Member # 3479

- posted      Profile for Gsee           Edit/Delete Post 
"All authors should write book where characters plant trees"

Pastwatch The true story of Johnny Appleseed

Posts: 29 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

- posted      Profile for kojabu           Edit/Delete Post 
myspace ::shudder::
Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

- posted      Profile for Orson Scott Card           Edit/Delete Post 
I think if it's going to be required reading at all, it should be high school. It IS an adult novel, and it's hard to read for unmotivated readers. So when kids discover it on their own - even in grade school - they'll be motivated to go through all the hard places; but when REQUIRED to read it too young, it becomes very hard work, and all the joy is taken out of reading it.
Posts: 2005 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.