FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Does Mr Card have a laptop?

Author Topic: Does Mr Card have a laptop?
Sid Meier
Member # 6965

- posted      Profile for Sid Meier   Email Sid Meier         Edit/Delete Post 
Do you? Cuz with all the book signings I'm wondering if you worked while traveling. I Hope you use Zone Alarm as a fire wall I have NO viruses on my computer and pretty much no spyware either.
Posts: 1567 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
*blink* Sid....Never mind.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sid Meier
Member # 6965

I got the same reaction with the joke "There are only 10 types of people those who know Binary and those who don't."
Posts: 1567 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

- posted      Profile for kojabu           Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL]
Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sid Meier
Member # 6965

Well, looks like there's a programmer here.

"Why do Programmers confuse Halloween with christmas? Because Oct 31 == Dec 25"

DarkKnight
Member # 7536

- posted      Profile for DarkKnight   Email DarkKnight         Edit/Delete Post 
or at least people who know binary, octal, and hexadecimal
Posts: 1918 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Or at least people who have heard the joke before, one of the sixty million times it's been told on the Internet. [Smile]
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sid Meier
Member # 6965

heheh
kojabu
Member # 8042

I was more laughing at Tom's response to Sid's post. (and that's the only binary I know, that joke [Razz] )
Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

Oh yea, and I think Card does have a laptop becuase he's written a number of times about wireless networks in various places he's been while travelling.

I got mad at Zone Alarm the other day because all I wanted was a simple virus scanner and it did all that firewall stuff that I didn't want it to. end of story.

Sid Meier
Member # 6965

lol, Zone Alarm and I are a happy couple, though me and my royter are not on speaking terms. [Grumble]

Constantly making my life diffulted with its constant nagging and guilt trips.

TomDavidson
Member # 124

I think I like the word "diffulted."
Jay
Member # 5786

- posted      Profile for Jay   Email Jay         Edit/Delete Post 
I bet OSC has the best top of the line laptop complete with satellite internet and HD screen
Posts: 2845 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
If he doesn't have a laptop, he'll make a lousy grandpa.
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

What's a royter?
Sid Meier
Member # 6965

router. I like saying "royter" though gives me an accent.
kojabu
Member # 8042

Is that the same accent that can pronounce diffulted as difficult?
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
He does have a laptop.

Check here for more info. Sid, you of all people should know how to use the search feature. The thread's on page 4.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sid Meier
Member # 6965

ah I see.
Sid Meier
Member # 6965

except laptop I don't think was eevr used in a sentance in that thread...
GaalD
Member # 6222

- posted      Profile for GaalD   Email GaalD         Edit/Delete Post 
It is. 4th post by OSC.
Posts: 853 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dread Pendragon
Member # 7239

- posted      Profile for Dread Pendragon   Email Dread Pendragon         Edit/Delete Post 
He has a travel one and a big one. He likes wide screens so he can have Wordperfect up and the internet at the same time. *in raspy voice* don't even get him started on Word. (If there was no other reason to like him besides the fact that he uses Wordperfect instead of Word, that would be enough.)
Posts: 159 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sid Meier
Member # 6965

don't like word perfect normal word doesn't reconize it, I was almost unable to hand in an assignment once.
GaalD
Member # 6222

Can someone explain the difference? I use Word Processor and everyone tells me how bad it is, but it types, prints, and it could change font and that's all I need.
Posts: 853 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

- posted      Profile for Orson Scott Card           Edit/Delete Post 
If the reason you don't like WordPerfect is because WORD doesn't bother to do accurate conversions, then which program is it that's letting you down?

If you're happy with the word processor you have, then go for it!

Word Perfect gives you far more control over your text. And it's more programmable. So I have macros that allow me to do everything - including mark blocks and delete or move or copy them - right from the keyboard. I almost never touch the mouse while I'm writing. With Word, that's impossible (I've tried) - Word basically trains you to write THEIR way; WordPerfect lets you reshape the program to work the way YOU want it to. It's the best word processor ever. But for many users, it makes no difference, so ... no problem. If you're happy, you're happy!

Posts: 2005 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalD
Member # 6222

I want to clarify that I use Microsoft Works Word Processor, I read my previous post and realize that made no sense.

"And it's more programmable. So I have macros that allow me to do everything - including mark blocks and delete or move or copy them - right from the keyboard"

Can someone point me to website where I could learn about these things? How do you program a processor? And what's a macro?

SpEeDMaSTeR
Member # 7568

- posted      Profile for SpEeDMaSTeR   Email SpEeDMaSTeR         Edit/Delete Post 
A macro is simply a series of commands linked to a certain action, in this case a keypress of whatever OSC has assigned. For example, pressing enter at the end of a paragraph in WordPerfect could be made to automatically indent a tab on the next line. Or pressing F7 could save to multiple locations using different filenames, to avoid possible corruption. No, I've never used WordPerfect and don't actually know how to set up any macros. But I answered one of your questions. =/
Posts: 62 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalD
Member # 6222

That's really cool. I think I understand now why some people would prefer one word processor to another. I wouldn't mind having my word processor have commands like that.
TomDavidson
Member # 124

quote:

And it's more programmable. So I have macros that allow me to do everything - including mark blocks and delete or move or copy them - right from the keyboard.

Scott, I'm going to have to disagree with you on this one. As both a WordPerfect and a Word user, and a casual VB programmer, the simple fact is that Word is actually considerably more programmable than WordPerfect is -- thanks primarily to Word's object model, which treats each object (document, page, paragraph, word, and character) as a container that holds various properties. If you know what you're doing in VBA, then, you can program Word to do things that you couldn't even dream of doing in WordPerfect.

That said, WordPerfect's object model -- which uses property tags that enclose characters -- has its own advantages. For one thing, it makes possible WP's beautiful Reveal Codes functionality, something that Word has always lacked (and, thanks to the way it's designed, can never really have). For another, it's possible to write moderately powerful macros in really basic language.

This, then, is the strength of WordPerfect: it is designed to provide extremely useful features to the moderately advanced user. It is neither as "easy" for beginners nor as "powerful" for experts as Word, but for mid-range users -- which is where I suspect the vast majority of most professional users lie -- it's perfect.

Word has become the standard because it became the standard among businesses (for a variety of reasons, including the interoperability with Microsoft's two real killer apps, Excel and Access, and Word's considerably more powerful scripting, programming, and workflow engines). But I wholeheartedly agree that the majority of users will find that WordPerfect's object model more closely mirrors the way they use a word processor and thus is more likely to seem "intuitive" to them.

(Jaime, it's also worth noting that Word does macros, too. And in its newer versions, it even does macros almost exactly the same way the new versions of WordPerfect do. *laugh* Macros are extremely common; I can't think of a major word processor out there which doesn't permit them in some form.)

[ July 28, 2005, 12:18 AM: Message edited by: TomDavidson ]

GaalD
Member # 6222

How can I learn how to use macros? I use Microsoft Works Word Processor (And because I'm extremely slow, is that the one you refer to as "Word" or is Microsoft Works something different?)
TomDavidson
Member # 124

The word processor included with Microsoft Works is a stripped-down version of Word; many features are missing, and other elements have been added to make it an "easier" experience. I haven't used Works in around ten years, though, so I'm not intimately familiar with the changes to this current version. I believe that there is still a "Macro" option under the Tools menu that permits you to record macros, though, which should get you most of the way there. Try searching the Help -- Microsoft's in-program Help is generally very good -- for instructions on recording macros.
Sid Meier
Member # 6965

I have Office 2003, though Access isn't working right for me, which I'll need for next semester.

Yeah Word failed me, just that my grandparents neighbors used WordPerfect while my house has Word 2003 and I did my essay at neighbors house and I emailed back to myself (long story) and it didn't convert I had to temp download word perfect to print it out.

Puppy
Member # 6721

- posted      Profile for Puppy   Email Puppy         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Scott, I'm going to have to disagree with you on this one.
Admit it. You enjoyed disagreeing with him [Smile]
Posts: 1539 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

WordPerfect has been changing its file formats a lot recently. Microsoft has had some trouble keeping up with the format changes, although they generally put converters up for download on their Office support site when they're finished. In general, it's always a good idea to save a WordPerfect document that you know is going to be read in Microsoft Word in an older WordPerfect format, or even in one of the Word formats WP can emulate.
Sid Meier
Member # 6965

Who Doesn't? Well except me I don't like disagreeing with someone who could probly pound me flat in a debate since I enjoy the dellusion of sohpistication I weave around myself.
theamazeeaz
Member # 6970

- posted      Profile for theamazeeaz   Email theamazeeaz         Edit/Delete Post 
I just learned about Macros at work this summer. I only know how they work in Emacs though.
Posts: 1757 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yozhik
Member # 89

- posted      Profile for Yozhik   Email Yozhik         Edit/Delete Post 
WordPerfect was invented by a Mormon.

Just in case you wanted to know.

Posts: 1512 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sid Meier
Member # 6965

oooooooh....

wait.... Yozhik.... what does it mean registered "A long time ago?"

TomDavidson
Member # 124

It means Yoz was around during the Big Mouth Lion days, and was one of the first two batches imported (by user name).
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
emacs is a lot more customisable than WordPerfect; you can write your own Lisp macros and bind them to key combos.
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.