FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » FreeCiv

Author Topic: FreeCiv
Sid Meier
Member # 6965

- posted      Profile for Sid Meier   Email Sid Meier         Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.freeciv.org/index.php/Freeciv

Essentially its the original civilization but this community rebuilt it usng adjustable features from the other civs, its free because they the copyright is gone with Civ and they didn't copy the code they made their own code inspired by civilization.

Also features from Civ 2 and 3 have also made there way into it such as borders and other stuff. Interesting game played one game so far, now what I really enjoy though still haven't figured out is the isohex etc essentially a map mode where instead of the usual diamond squares you have hexodecimal squares increasing the tactical flexibility in civ which I found lacking sometimes.

You can download the game its free they have forums and tech support and stuff and explain the whole legal thing in detail.

Mr Card prepare to be dragged back into the Cult of Civ.

Posts: 1567 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ramdac99
Member # 7264

- posted      Profile for Ramdac99   Email Ramdac99         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, that's pretty cool. If I wasn't at work right now I'd play it.
Posts: 484 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sid Meier
Member # 6965

Alright, we can get a REALLY huge game going if we wanted to, unlike the maximum of like say 2 dozen AI you could have I think around 40 or so, with a really huge map. Its extremely moddable/adjustable.
Posts: 1567 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
It's not free because the copyright is gone with Civ.

It's free because they are not infringing on copyright at all.

You can't copyright an idea, and it is ideas that they copied.

But yeah, freeciv is a completely open-source (and therefore free as in soda and free as in speech) Civilization clone. I tried it a few years ago. Not already knowing how to play civilization, I found it difficult to figure out. Maybe it's better now.

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sid Meier
Member # 6965

Yeah, takes a little getting used to since the interface are somewhat different. But it should be a fun game I only played once so far I had to fiddle around with the map settings to get a more viewable world (the one I had was kinda slanted and hard to figure out) however I'm trying to figure out how to get the isohex map syle to work in multiplayer.
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I hate iso views in games.

No more information than top-down, but more difficult to see what is actually happening! Brilliant!

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sid Meier
Member # 6965

ise hex? Isn't that basically hexogonal squares rather then the usual diamonds? Doesn't allow for more movement?

"There is no combat without Movement!"- Ender

mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

I don't know what ise is. I was refering to iso, short for isometric. Specifically, an isometric projection view.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isometric_projection

Sid Meier
Member # 6965

sorry I meant ISO.
sands
Member # 8344

- posted      Profile for sands   Email sands         Edit/Delete Post 
that looks fun. will have to try it out once it downloads
Posts: 48 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Kidd
Member # 2646

- posted      Profile for Chris Kidd   Email Chris Kidd         Edit/Delete Post 
I guess OSC is avoiding this since he just Kicked the Civ habit. [Evil] [Evil Laugh]
Posts: 513 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sid Meier
Member # 6965

The graphics aren't impressive though I'm certain you can load in your own graphics, pretty much anything could be modded or changed, like do you realize how huge a game could be? 1-32 THOUSAND tiles, with as many ai (max probly 99) opponates with adjustable skill levels.

Iso-Hex is interesting though not recomended for world (as in Earth) map scenarios.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.