FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Anyone wanna help me understand this dream of mine?

Author Topic: Anyone wanna help me understand this dream of mine?
Sid Meier
Member # 6965

- posted      Profile for Sid Meier   Email Sid Meier         Edit/Delete Post 
Now, usually my sleeping has been for years pretty dreamless only just my imagination as I try to lull myself to sleep, but last night I had a dream that dispite various clues I couldn't tell if it was real or not.

The first thing I remember is being driven to a friends house the friend being Christohper Deslauriers, then we walk supposedly to Abbott (my college) this makes some sense considering Chris has an apartment in St. Anne's which is where John Abbott College is, however instead of ending up at Abbott we end up at my old High School (clue #1) and its also time to leave via bus, so I ask around if the buses have already left or if they were coming etc and dispite vague answers the buses start arriving.

I get on the first bus looking at the paper they keep at the front trying to figure out which bus I'm on. Now, I could read the numbers ("10") but all the names where backwards like instead of Bradley, Blayne it was enyalB yeldarB but I still reconized my name and which bus so I got off the bus, waited for mine. Now my bus comes but I was distracted by a pool party where there was this beautiful asian woman in a bathing suit swimming who reminded me of one of my old teachers but wasn't, this girl was too beautiful. She fell in the water and there were people swimming including myself and Chris.

Now during this party there was this person who I could imagine breathed underwater who came up to constatly drag us down to see if we drown or not, he tries to drag me down and we get into this Kung-Fu battle underwater with none of our hits doing damage (cuz of the water) except my blows start to get faster and harder as I use the current each pass makes to speed up the next one, and I beat him and I get out of the water with my friend (I think) following me to catch my bus, with noone on it the bus leave and 10 feet down the road explodes!

So Somehow my friend and I get into ym dad's van with Chris's mom driving it (which makes sence and doesn't makes sense, yes she seems like the type to drive a truck but then again where the heck did my dad go?), then we start going up a steep road like really stil 70 degree angle steep and me and chris get out and start racing the van up the road then at the top we get back in the van and go back to Chris's place which wasn't his apartment yet didn't exactly look like his parent's home.

I stay there for a couple of days then I end up back in what I think is Abbott the word McGill crosses my mind for NO reason whatsoever and I end up in this darkly lit room with alot of people in it, my close friends are all there, Matt, Luke, Chris, Benjamin Hall (a short thin chinese kid form Hong Kong with classes, what a dependable friend) Joeseph Stalin (not really just a friend named Joe who got the nickname in high school), and then there's like 30 other people who I don't reconize now, just a blurr now.

Then the movie comes on which is an Anime though not one I know or remember but is based off of the Naruto theme which is ninja's, martial arts, powerful semi-magic techniques based off of Zodiac hand signs and an inner spiritual energy called "Chakra", the movie starts out explaining how techniques work and I speak saying: "Didn't we learn this in Naruto?" And I'm shushed by the others, then my friend Chris starts speaking to me saying the movie is on and its important that I don't speak then Luke says I'm kicked out of the room for speaking DISPITE the fact it wasn't me talking any more, I leave the room and I start hitting walls and furniture and swearing out loud (partly because I think this kind of bull happened before when I was kicked out of Gamers).

Then some kids leave the room and say I can come back in now, the movie starts off again and supposedly is appearing on the opposite wall, so I lie down to watch (can't read any of the subtitles) and I put my hands behind my head with my elbow's sticking out, and I close my eyes...

And the dreamstops and I wake up. The odd thing is is that I woke up in the EXACT same position as when I went to sleep in my dream with my hands behind my head with my elbows sticking out.

Really odd dream, does it mean anything?

[ July 28, 2005, 10:00 PM: Message edited by: Sid Meier ]

Posts: 1567 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hamson
Member # 7808

- posted      Profile for Hamson   Email Hamson         Edit/Delete Post 
OSC if you can be a Joseph, how come you aren't making money off of that instead of writing novels about kids in space? hmm?? hmm???
Posts: 879 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
<OSC voice> Tell me about your mother.
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
When he's done with the dream analysis, maybe he can read the bumps on my head.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sid Meier
Member # 6965

is there a reason why you two are making fun of me. [Cry]
Posts: 1567 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

It probably has something to do with the fact that you're asking a sci-fi/fantasy author for psychological advice.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sid Meier
Member # 6965

Where better to get it?
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
Magic 8 ball

Tarot cards

Homeless people

Astrologists

Tea leaves

Dr. Phil

Not that OSC doesn't have a fairly good insight into the human condition, but I think it shows an amazing lack of courtesy to ask him for dream analysis.

It's one thing to ask him a favor that he might not mind doing. Writing advice - a quick search of the site shows he's happy to give advice to struggling writers, because he loves the craft.
Even some personal problems I can understand asking his opinion on, because it's obvious he has a clear understanding of people. But this is over the line, and I'm not sure why.

Maybe it's just that dream analysis is such a waste of time. No one has ever proved anywhere that dreams mean anything. As far as I'm concerned, it's just the random firing of neurons while your brain tries to sort out the day's memories and file them where they go. These memories include all your stream of consciousness thoughts of the day, and all your sensory input. The haphazard pictures that play while we sleep (which always happen, whether we remember it or not) are nothing more than that.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

quote:
Originally posted by Sid Meier:
Where better to get it?

Bob Scopatz. Online dream dictionaries. The psychic hotline.
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh! Oh! Sid, can I interpret your dream for you? I'm not a psychoanalyst or anything, but what the hey!

But before we begin, I need you to lay down on my couch. Now...

What do YOU think it means?

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sid Meier
Member # 6965

I think A: Someone may be trying to kill me (the bus exploding)

B: I Like Asians

C: People can and will try to keep me out of social functions when it suits them.

D: My dreams may have far more control over my motor controls then I realized.

And also I might have hidden ninja powers.

But okay, deciding that Mr Card may have better things to do with his time I'll edit the question out of the title.

mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
If you figured that all out on your own, why do you need help from someone else?
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Very interesting <tents fingers Freudianly>
You have fears of death and that people are trying to kill you. What people do you think would do that? And what is their connection with the bus?

Oh, and Asians are very likeable. That is normal.

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sid Meier
Member # 6965

lol, as for the bus I don't know, maybe from playing GTA too much? Or maybe its my unconsious mind putting stuff together over the course of the last few years trying to make a picture the human mind can understand, once in a while my dreams are even prohetic though only in hindsight, such as a dream where my house filled up with water and in the morning the River flooded nearly to my house.

Back to the bus, I'm thinking that it might not even mean a bus just that I've road buses to school yearly so it might actuslly mean that someone who I knew ON that bus might one day attempt to kill me.

Also I just like to have others people's input/output, and think about it I NEVER had a dream this intense/strange/vivid before. So it has to mean something.

Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

So...you associate buses with attending school. But you also say that a pool figures prominently in your dream.

Do you have any childhood memories of carpools?

Sid Meier
Member # 6965

No, carpooling with a neighboor only started last year.
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
Was your mother Asian?
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sid Meier
Member # 6965

No, and it has nothing to do with her.
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

Why do you think the writing on the bus was backwards?

Does it have any associations with mirrors?

Sid Meier
Member # 6965

as I typed, instead of Blayne Bradley or bradley, blayne it was yeldarb, enyalb which to my understanding makes an interesting code name... [Big Grin] and no no mirrors that I can remeber.
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

After analysis, I have concluded that it was just a dream. There was no secret meaning. Before you disagee with me, I urge you to sleep on it.
Sid Meier
Member # 6965

WOAH!!!! You posted 1111 POSTS! AMAZING MAN! AMAZING!....

Yeah,...... 1:34 AM got back from work and checking me mail.....

Abyss
Member # 3086

- posted      Profile for Abyss   Email Abyss         Edit/Delete Post 
I like how all the events happen backwards. College, then High School, then your birth (the pool), your previous death (the bus), and then College again. I think the whole dream is a comment on the cyclical nature of life.
Posts: 280 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

quote:
You posted 1111 POSTS! AMAZING MAN! AMAZING
<Buffs fingernails on lapel>

Oh, it was nothing.

Compared to my post count this evening, that is. I'm a postin' machine.

Who needs to sleep, when they can suck sustenance from the 'rack?

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.