FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Strong Verse Question

Author Topic: Strong Verse Question
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

- posted      Profile for Stone_Wolf_           Edit/Delete Post 
I submitted a few poems to Strong Verse, and never heard back from them. So I used the "contact" applet and sent them a note, asking if they had gotten my poems. So far, no word back. Does anyone know if they are still accepting submitions?

Also, there was a note saying there was a ten dollar charge per poem, but I didn't see anyway to send the $$$.

Posts: 6683 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Oliver Dale
Member # 8398

- posted      Profile for Oliver Dale   Email Oliver Dale         Edit/Delete Post 
Stone_wolf,

Repeat this mantra: Money flows toward the writer.

You don't pay THEM $10... they pay you $10 (upon acceptance/publication).

Not much else you can do if you've already queried them on your poems. Wait another couple months or so and consider querying again.

Posts: 92 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

Ahhhh...that would be nice. I had published some other poems on poetry.com and they are all about send us money to buy cases of books with your poem in them...

Waiting I can handle.

Thanks.

Posts: 6683 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
SW- It took them about a month to get back to me. I submitted on April 5, and heard back from the editor on May 5.

But-- they're quite busy. A month is a REALLY good turn around time for ANY submission process. Poetry magazines are woefully understaffed as a general rule; if there are no statements regarding response times on the website, I check places like the Black Hole for an estimate. (Unfortunately, these are all spec-fic markets.)

Rule of thumb: you generally DON'T want to hear back from editors right away.

Another rule of thumb: Once the story/poem is out in the ether, let it go. Don't worry about it for six months or so. Concetrate on writing and submitting new work.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Another rule of thumb. Avoid poetry.com. It's a scam.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

- posted      Profile for Orson Scott Card           Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry ... our editor was doing the education thing and got swamped. I should have stepped in and done the editing, but wasn't really aware of the logjam until it was nearly over.

Meanwhile, our staff didn't realize that payment was on acceptance, not on publication. So, again, payment was slow.

We believe that both problems have been fixed. My goal is for everyone to hear back, yes or no, within a week, and to be paid within two weeks after acceptance. (Sorry, we still won't pay after rejection. A cruel policy, but economic necessity compels it.)

I'm committed to keeping Strong Verse alive and vigorous, and I'm sorry that through my inattention we became one of those frustrating, non-responsive markets for a while.

Posts: 2005 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

Thanks to everyone for all their help!
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
Scott--

I don't know that an apology is necessary-- my interactions with Strongverse have been pleasant.

I will likely submit to the magazine again.

(Incidentally, for those of you who aren't aware-- my poem, 'Train Window Prophet' is live on Strongverse right now! Go check it out!

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
I want to see OSC's Seuss verse posted in StrongVerse...

[Smile]
FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.