FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Foreign Covers

Author Topic: Foreign Covers
Abyss
Member # 3086

- posted      Profile for Abyss   Email Abyss         Edit/Delete Post 
I was reading the first (free) chapters of Magic Street, and I noticed a little image to the right that said "veiw foreign covers". I clicked on it, and while it didn't have any for Magic Street (which I guess only has the one), it did have about a million for Ender's Game and the Shadow series. I really enjoyed the French renditions of Ender's Shadow - Shadow Puppets; it's really cool art, and the representation of Bean is spot-on to how I pictured him. Those were my favorites, along with the Japanese covers for the Ender series, which I though were great. My least favorite was the Israeli cover for Ender's Game, which features what is clearly an image of the Enterprise of Star Trek fame. I guess copyright works differently over there...?

In any case, take a look at some of them! I wish I could link you guys, but typing the url of the link doesn't open them page, at least on my computer, so you have to open it from the page it links from, which for me was this one:

http://www.hatrack.com/osc/books/magicstreet/magicstreet.shtml

Some of them are truly bizarre -- like the Danish Ender's Game cover, which for some reason has seaweed growing around colorful stones, with a face in them. Check 'em out!

-Abyss

Posts: 280 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

- posted      Profile for kojabu           Edit/Delete Post 
I have Italian versions of Ender's Game and Ender's Shadow, neither of which are on there. The Ender's Game cover is blue with some blue spheres floating around while the Ender's Shadow cover has spaceships. They're weird.

Is it against copyright to take a picture and post them here?

Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Daric
Member # 8402

- posted      Profile for Daric   Email Daric         Edit/Delete Post 
Whoa whoa whoa, check out the Israeli version of Ender's Game. Why the hell is the Enterprise on their?
Posts: 27 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephan
Member # 7549

- posted      Profile for Stephan   Email Stephan         Edit/Delete Post 
THAT IS HILARIOUS! Can one of the Israelis on the board verify that the translation on the cover is Ender's Game?
Posts: 3134 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephan
Member # 7549

- posted      Profile for Stephan   Email Stephan         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, just confirmed it on the other board. Funniest part is Orson Scott Card has never seemed very fond of Star Trek.
Posts: 3134 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Katarain
Member # 6659

- posted      Profile for Katarain   Email Katarain         Edit/Delete Post 
I like Japan's for Ender's Game. It actually has something to do with the book.

-Katarain

Posts: 2880 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Katarain
Member # 6659

- posted      Profile for Katarain   Email Katarain         Edit/Delete Post 
Romania's is SCARY.
Posts: 2880 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Foreign covers.

Oh, you're talking about something else. [Smile]

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sands
Member # 8344

- posted      Profile for sands   Email sands         Edit/Delete Post 
check out brazil's cover. is he in the simulator?
Posts: 48 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sands
Member # 8344

- posted      Profile for sands   Email sands         Edit/Delete Post 
in finland's ender's game it just says "Ender" on the cover. france's shadow puppet's bean looks too asian.
Posts: 48 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Erez
Member # 8282

- posted      Profile for Erez   Email Erez         Edit/Delete Post 
The Israeli cover with the enterprise is really old, that's the version I read a long time ago and was really put off by the cover because I'm not a Star Trek fan. From since they were 2 or 3 new covers, I have one with a spaceship taking off and I saw in a book store a new one with a kid in a space suite looking over a chess board.
Personaly I prefer the covers in Israel because none of them shows people, just spaceships and stars and stuff. in Ender's Shadow and Shadow of the Hegemon you see a little kid from behind, without any real features watching a blue background and earth respectivly.

Edit: which now I see is just like the american version (in the first two shadows and COTM) but the rest is different. In Shadow Puppets there's a drawing of a marionate.

[ August 03, 2005, 05:22 PM: Message edited by: Erez ]

Posts: 34 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fusiachi
Member # 7376

- posted      Profile for Fusiachi   Email Fusiachi         Edit/Delete Post 
What I find interesting are the slight changes in the titles from language to language. For example, some maintain Ender as a name, while others(brazilian portugese) translate it as a ... "terminator", for lack of better portugese skills..

Others make a complete change, like Portugal's O Jogo Final, or The Final Game. Spanish sticks with a faithful translation, while French uses "Ender's Strategy".

Here's one that gets me. Enders Spel, the Swedish version. I'm guessing based off german, that spel means "game". But as I looked up some Swedish to check it out, I found Loc, or "a game without winners". Kinda seems to me to be more appropriate of a title.

Anyways, thanks for posting a link to the foreign versions! Very interesting. For me, at least.

[ August 09, 2005, 11:16 PM: Message edited by: Fusiachi ]

Posts: 433 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tresopax
Member # 1063

- posted      Profile for Tresopax           Edit/Delete Post 
The Japanese Ender's Shadow cover scares me.... but the Japanese Ender's Game cover is probably what the young adult version should look like.
Posts: 8120 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ChaosTheory
Member # 7069

- posted      Profile for ChaosTheory   Email ChaosTheory         Edit/Delete Post 
I think that the Japanese covers are the best, they actually look like illustrations of the books.
Posts: 163 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Abyss
Member # 3086

The Romanian cover for Ender's Game looks like a horror novel - a child in a space suit works on a computer while a TERRIFYING INSECT lurks above him!
Posts: 280 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Luet13
Member # 9274

- posted      Profile for Luet13   Email Luet13         Edit/Delete Post 
I like that the Russian covers have dinosaurs on them. That has absolutely nothing to do with anything in any of those books. Awesome.
Posts: 511 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hatrkr81
Member # 9317

- posted      Profile for hatrkr81   Email hatrkr81         Edit/Delete Post 
Why is Keanu Reeves on the cover of Poland's edition of Ender's Game? HAHA!
Posts: 124 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hank
Member # 8916

- posted      Profile for Hank   Email Hank         Edit/Delete Post 
In general, I really like the japanese covers, but the one for Ender's Shadow makes me giggle. It just makes me think of teletubbies.
Posts: 368 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Soara
Member # 6729

- posted      Profile for Soara   Email Soara         Edit/Delete Post 
The Romania one is adorable!

And the French version of Ender's Shadow -- "The strategy of the shadow"?
But WOW, check out France's "Shadow Puppets". That's amazing.

The Japanese ones are AWESOME. I love that killer battle room move on EG. haha. CotM is awesome, I love the giant skull. Ok well...Japanase Ender's Shadow is kind of morbid.

Russia's CotM...There's a dinosaur. Oh wait...it's on all of them.

Serbia's EG is really cool.

Thanks so much for linking this!!

[ October 16, 2006, 08:29 PM: Message edited by: Soara ]

Posts: 464 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DaisyMae
Member # 9722

- posted      Profile for DaisyMae   Email DaisyMae         Edit/Delete Post 
Holy Crap, I SWEAR I went to high school with the guy on the cover of Poland's Shadow Puppets. [Angst] He gave me bracelet with frogs on it once.

I really like Hungary's Ender's Game cover.

It's cool to see the different interpretations.

But seriously, what is up with Israel. Do they just have one stock space picture?

Posts: 293 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Libbie
Member # 9529

- posted      Profile for Libbie   Email Libbie         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, am I remembering my French right? Is Ender's Shadow "The Game of the Friend" in France? It's been about 13 years since I studied French, of course....

Edit: Never mind, it just came back to me. L'ombre = shadow, like umber = dark in English.

Some of these covers are REALLY cool. But I have to say, who's that 20-something dude on the Russian cover of Ender's shadow?

[ October 17, 2006, 11:23 PM: Message edited by: Libbie ]

Posts: 1006 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Abyss
Member # 3086

In a bizarre twist of fate, the Russian word for "dinosaur" is "bugger".

Actually, I don't think that's true. But it would be funny if instead of fighting a race of insectoid aliens, Ender had to fight space dinosaurs. Puts a whole different spin on the novels. It makes it tough to compare notes with someone who read the Russian version first, though.

Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
The Romanian cover for Ender's game is nothing, really.

The one for Speaker for the Dead shows Ender in the same position, ah... cutting a pequenino, with the forest behind him.

The one fo Xenocide is Ender as a hooded skeleton, looking at a planet IIRC, with a skeleton insect behind him.

Oh, and I just found out that new editions came out. Needless to say, the covers are now in no way related to the books. [Wink]

Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.