FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Alvin as Christ

Author Topic: Alvin as Christ
daver
Member # 8435

- posted      Profile for daver   Email daver         Edit/Delete Post 
this is not meant to be blasphemous, but....
Alvin walks on water, heals the sick, brings 'near' dead back to life....these plus more...any thoughts!

Posts: 5 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Alvin is not Christ. Alvin is Joseph Smith. [Smile] But you get points for being close.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blackthorne
Member # 8295

- posted      Profile for Blackthorne   Email Blackthorne         Edit/Delete Post 
He actually makes an ice bridge (like the lds pioneers crossing the Mississippi).
Posts: 60 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RoyHobbs
Member # 7594

- posted      Profile for RoyHobbs   Email RoyHobbs         Edit/Delete Post 
I want the next book in the series!!
Posts: 201 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

- posted      Profile for Orson Scott Card           Edit/Delete Post 
alvin isn't Joseph Smith, either. Joseph Smith never walked on water or any of the miraculous things Alvin does. Alvin's life has the structure of JS's life as its skeleton, but if JS had actually done the things Alvin did, then either people would have believed in him more or he would have been killed sooner <wince>.

My point, if there is one, in the stories is that Alvin can do these miraculous things, but they're just a drop in the bucket. To combat the Unmaker, it takes more than a few miracles. It takes the creation of a community - otherwise the unmaker unmakes faster than a maker can make.

Posts: 2005 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm going to refer my mom to that post, Uncle O. I just got her to read Seventh Son, (she's of the more conservative LDS bent) and while she liked it and picked up on the Joseph Smith parallels, she was a little afraid of the "blasphemy" inherent in doing things to the Alvin character that are not consistent with the life of the prophet. I tried to explain it, but your description will be much more effective. [Smile]
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
And, if you don't mind me asking, what was the impetus for creating a character on the "skeleton" of a famous religious figure's life without resorting to allegory? Were you influenced by any other work that way, or was that an original idea?
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mothertree
Member # 4999

- posted      Profile for mothertree   Email mothertree         Edit/Delete Post 
I was drawn to this thread because I had this thought last week. The main way Alvin is like the Lord is that he has a little brother who is also very powerful who has no compunctions about using his powers to benefit himself.
Posts: 2010 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.