FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » OSC and SW

Author Topic: OSC and SW
ooryl2
Member # 8475

- posted      Profile for ooryl2           Edit/Delete Post 
Having read the 8 Ender/Bean books between Star Wars publishes (as well as the Dark Nest reminding me of the Buggers), made me think that I would love to see Orson Scott Card pen a Star Wars novel. With the way he brings the children in these novels to life, I'd love to see him write a novel focusing on Ben, maybe between the end of NJO and the beginning of the Dark Nest trilogy. I don't know if it would be possible for him to write a SW novel, but I for one would love it if he did.
Posts: 3 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome to Hatrack.

I, personally, think that the universes OSC makes up on his own are much more engaging than the one Lucas crafted. Similarly, I did not really enjoy OSC's 'The Originist,' based on Asimov's 'Foundation' series-- not because it wasn't well crafted, but because I don't care for Asimov.

Plus, I don't think OSC really cares for Star Wars all that much. . . Try Googling 'Orson Scott Card' and 'Star Wars.'

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ooryl2
Member # 8475

thanks for the welcome, and I know he doesn't care for SW all that much (at least not the prequel movies)... as he said "To me, "Darth" just sounds like "Garth" with a speech impediment. I guess I'm not enough of a Star Wars fan ..." So, no I don't think that if he were approached to write one that he would. But as a SW fan, and an OSC fan, I can dream [Smile]
Posts: 3 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
neo-dragon
Member # 7168

- posted      Profile for neo-dragon           Edit/Delete Post 
Even if OSC loved SW, I don't think he'd like writing in a universe that he didn't create. His stories are too ambitious. He'd probably want to do more that he'd be allowed to.
Posts: 1569 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DemonGarik
Member # 7793

- posted      Profile for DemonGarik   Email DemonGarik         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree. I went to a writing Seminar led by R.A. Salvatore a few years back when he wrote the first book for the NJO, and he was talking about the process he had to go through in order to write the book.

He said they were incredibly controling him telling him everything and leaving him very little leeway- they even dictated how the book would end to him, which he was a bit upset about.

I think Scott would go crazy if they tried to dictate how his books would end and what the plot would be, though a story in the SW universe written by scott would be fun, I think it'll happen right around the time the Jets win the Super Bowl

Posts: 84 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
What is NJO?
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DarkKnight
Member # 7536

- posted      Profile for DarkKnight   Email DarkKnight         Edit/Delete Post 
New jedi Order
Posts: 1918 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ooryl2
Member # 8475

A single book would be a little different than the first book of the NJO though. I wouldn't have wanted to be the one to write that book, especially with the outcry it received, but as it was the book that set the pace for the entire story arc, it would have to be under a lot more control than a single book would be.

Jets in '06? [Razz]

0range7Penguin
Member # 7337

- posted      Profile for 0range7Penguin           Edit/Delete Post 
I still enjoy my hero immortality theory it states that it takes about a thousand badguys or one superbad guy to kill one hero. But I had to change it after hearing about the NJO books.
Spoiler
So my freind told me chewy dies by a moon falling on him. So my new theory is it takes 1000 badguys, one uberbadguy, or a moon to kill one hero. [ROFL]

Posts: 832 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hazen
Member # 161

- posted      Profile for Hazen   Email Hazen         Edit/Delete Post 
Hasn't Card said that he was asked to do a Star Wars book (I think a NJO book) and turned it down?
Posts: 285 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
neo-dragon
Member # 7168

quote:
Originally posted by DemonGarik:
I agree. I went to a writing Seminar led by R.A. Salvatore a few years back when he wrote the first book for the NJO, and he was talking about the process he had to go through in order to write the book.

He said they were incredibly controling him telling him everything and leaving him very little leeway- they even dictated how the book would end to him, which he was a bit upset about.

And yet, strangly enough, he went on the write the "Attack of the Clones" novelization, a novel for which he no doubt had even less freedom. I guess the fact that Star Wars = sales inspired him.

Was OSC really approached about writing an NJO novel? I've never heard that before. Like I said, I don't think he's a good fit for SW, but I would have liked to see how it turned out.

Posts: 1569 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hazen
Member # 161

- posted      Profile for Hazen   Email Hazen         Edit/Delete Post 
It is from a chat he had with Barnes and Noble, archived here.
He says this, when talking about which of his books he likes best:
quote:
I suppose the thing I love best about these novels is that there's not a single piece of hackwork among them. That is, I wrote only books I wanted to write; I never wrote a book just for money, nor changed one for the money.... I came close, recently. I was offered the chance to do the flagship volume of a franchised series. The only thing that tempted me to do it was money, and it was over money that I finally turned it down. But now I can say, with relief, that I'm glad I didn't do it. Because I think it's a book I would have been ashamed of later.
Now, as far as I know Star Wars is the only series that tries to get top-flight sci-fi/fantasy authors, and it is probably the only one that could dangle enough cash to tempt Card, and the NJO books were, if I recall correctly, were coming out at the time (March 1998). So I am almost certain it was a Star Wars book. In light of OSC's opinion of Phantom Menace, I am inclined to think that he dodged a bullet. [Smile]
Posts: 285 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
neo-dragon
Member # 7168

Well, the first NJO book came out in October '99 I believe, but I would imagine that they would have started approaching authors by '98.

Really, would writing a Star Wars book be that shameful? Isn't OSC friends with Timothy Zahn? There are pictures of him with his family right on this site! Yeah, okay. I know there's no reason why they can't be friends just because Zahn is one of the most prominent SW authors to date, but it's just funny considering that Zahn is practically the father of modern SW literature since he wrote "Heir to the Empire" in '91.

TL
Member # 8124

- posted      Profile for TL   Email TL         Edit/Delete Post 
I think Card writing in the Star Wars Universe would be slumming it, in a way.

The stuff he's already writing is vastly more interesting than Star Wars, which are just sort of, from the standpoint of sci-fi anyway, Dune and Lensmen derivative stories.

Instead of Card doing Star Wars books, Lucas should come in with his vast millions and produce some OSC movies.

Posts: 2267 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
Or we could get a moviemaker who doesn't live their life with their head stuck up a dark other portion of their anatomy to make some OSC movies. That would be better, I think.
Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TL
Member # 8124

- posted      Profile for TL   Email TL         Edit/Delete Post 
Note: I said 'produce' ... Lucas is a great producer. Empire Strikes Back, Indiana Jones, Radioland Murders, Howard the Du--

Wait a sec.

Posts: 2267 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.