FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Ground School

Author Topic: Ground School
Triffid
Member # 8479

- posted      Profile for Triffid   Email Triffid         Edit/Delete Post 
Probably a stupid question, but...

I remember someone in the Shadow series mentioning "Ground School." I think it's either Petra or Achilles.
Does s/he just mean school, like s/he went to before s/he was accepted to Battle School? It doesn't seem that way because it's capitalized as if it were a special term. But if so, why hasn't anyone else been to "Ground School?" What exactly is it?

Posts: 3 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DemonGarik
Member # 7793

- posted      Profile for DemonGarik   Email DemonGarik         Edit/Delete Post 
I think its supposed to be normal schools but they don't refer to it as such because to them normal school is Battle School
Posts: 84 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
OSTY
Member # 1480

- posted      Profile for OSTY   Email OSTY         Edit/Delete Post 
I guess I took Ground School be the place where they trained the soilders that would not go to command school.
Posts: 224 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sid Meier
Member # 6965

- posted      Profile for Sid Meier   Email Sid Meier         Edit/Delete Post 
Ground school is the school they put battle school brats before carting them off to space.
Posts: 1567 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
I thought that was Tactical.

--j_k

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

- posted      Profile for Orson Scott Card           Edit/Delete Post 
Ground school is before you go into space. The shuttle didn't run every week. They assembled the kids into launch groups. Some of the kids needed remedial work, if they came from inferior educational systems or disadvantaged backgrounds, so they'd be ready to cope with Battle School. But by the time ender's game and ender's shadow start, there isn't time to mess around with that so much, especially with kids like Bean and Ender who show real promise.
Posts: 2005 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Triffid
Member # 8479

- posted      Profile for Triffid   Email Triffid         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks! That makes sense. I guess no two kids made it into Battle School the same way - seems like it, with Bean writing reams of tests, Ender having the monitor, other people going to Ground School...
Posts: 3 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Kidd
Member # 2646

- posted      Profile for Chris Kidd   Email Chris Kidd         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Ground school is before you go into space. The shuttle didn't run every week. They assembled the kids into launch groups. Some of the kids needed remedial work, if they came from inferior educational systems or disadvantaged backgrounds, so they'd be ready to cope with Battle School. But by the time ender's game and ender's shadow start, there isn't time to mess around with that so much, especially with kids like Bean and Ender who show real promise.
Can this be added to Halfwits over at VBS. it might answer a few questions some people might have.
Posts: 513 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sid Meier
Member # 6965

- posted      Profile for Sid Meier   Email Sid Meier         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually mr Card can we at the Endpedia use that in the upcoming Encyclopedia Galactica for the Enderverse?

EDIT: For that matter can we use anything you write in Hatrack that envovles some kind of info that overtly obvious in your Enderverse books?

Posts: 1567 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.