FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Soooo... What do people think of me?

Author Topic: Soooo... What do people think of me?
Sid Meier
Member # 6965

- posted      Profile for Sid Meier   Email Sid Meier         Edit/Delete Post 
on a scale of one to ten.... I can handle it! be truthful... *deep breath* *breath out* /nervous

[ August 23, 2005, 12:48 PM: Message edited by: Sid Meier ]

Posts: 1567 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I think you try to get too much attention.

Except in this thread, of course.

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puppy
Member # 6721

- posted      Profile for Puppy   Email Puppy         Edit/Delete Post 
As a person ... 9

As a screen name ... negative 10

Posts: 1539 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sid Meier
Member # 6965

hey! My screen name is brilliantly composed!!!

Yeah I'll change my screen name eventually.

Posts: 1567 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
*isnores Sid*
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
If by "1" we mean the lowest of the low, like Hitler, and by "10" we mean one of the best humans in history, you rate about a six.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sid Meier
Member # 6965

that's good i geuss, though I doubt 6's ever make it to the history books.

isnore is not ignore so you can't ignore me muahahahaha.

Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, as a player of the Civ series, I've always taken exception to your screen name. I think it is neither amusing nor appropriate to use the name of a real, living person as your screen name. Fictional characters and historical personages are one thing, but the real, actual Sid Meier is still alive and well, and would probably not be too happy with you. (Not that I am presuming to know what kind of sense of humor Mr. Meier has about such things. I've never met the man, but I can't think of many people who would be flattered.)
Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kent
Member # 7850

- posted      Profile for Kent   Email Kent         Edit/Delete Post 
Moi is an excellent drink.
Posts: 231 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sands
Member # 8344

- posted      Profile for sands   Email sands         Edit/Delete Post 
yeah i thought you ment moi as in koi, you know the fish. did you know that koi's have such good hearing that they can hear you if you're talking while fishing.
Posts: 48 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

- posted      Profile for kojabu           Edit/Delete Post 
on a scale of relating to OSC, where 1 is it doens't and 10 is it's his biography, -10
Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Sid, you are all right. [Wave]
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sid Meier
Member # 6965

thank you Tante that means so much to me. (no sarcasm involved it means what it means)
GaalD
Member # 6222

- posted      Profile for GaalD   Email GaalD         Edit/Delete Post 
What exactly does this have to do with OSC? [Confused] [Wink]
Posts: 853 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Nothing.

Next question?

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Omega M.
Member # 7924

- posted      Profile for Omega M.           Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, Sid, the first time I saw your name I thought you were the real Sid Meier. I'm surprised he hasn't found out about this and asked you to change your name to keep his reputation safe. How would you like it if another person used your real name on a message board and said something that would make people think badly of you (not that you've necessarily done this with your name)?
Posts: 781 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sid Meier
Member # 6965

well I've taken the name because I love Sid Meier's games think of it as fandom kind of thing I've never done anything I would think to have affected his reputation and everytime anyone thinks i'm the real Sid Meier I correct it, or someone else does before I get there.
Chungwa
Member # 6421

- posted      Profile for Chungwa   Email Chungwa         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Omega M.:
I'm surprised he hasn't found out about this and asked you to change your name to keep his reputation safe.

That's a joke, right?

I mean, I understand not taking other peoples' names - but Sid Meier is a pretty 'big' name, I would be shocked if he had the time, or energy, to go around internet messageboards making sure people weren't using his name as their handle.

Posts: 367 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

quote:
I've never done anything I would think to have affected his reputation
But it's not your place to guess what you think would affect his reputation in a way that he wouldn't like.
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I've never done anything I would think to have affected his reputation
What about the time you posted on a some neo-Nazi message board, telling them at length how wrong they were? I'm sure that the real Sid Meier doesn't have any love for neo-Nazis, but nonetheless you might have drawn attention to him that he wasn't interested in drawing. I have no idea if you used your "Sid Meier" handle over there or not, but I know that for at least a while you had the same post here in the Hatrack forums under the name "Sid Meier", until people convinced you to delete it. If a google bot happened to have caught that page before you deleted it, and the racist group googles the text of your post, the contents of that post could very easily be associated with the name "Sid Meier".

[ August 23, 2005, 11:03 AM: Message edited by: Noemon ]

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Tante, Sid, you're all right, jake, the real McCoy...uh, strike that last. [Wink]

As far as your screen name, I don't think you need or have to change it, but you could consider it. I realize it's an homage to someone you respect, but it could be misinterpreted

Unless Meier is Maoist, he probably wouldn't like to be associated with your pro-Red China comments.

If you do decide to change, you could have a contest to pick a new name.

Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sid Meier
Member # 6965

Oh I could only imagine what most people would pick. And I don't go by the Sid Meier handle elsewhere.
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

- posted      Profile for Jonathan Howard   Email Jonathan Howard         Edit/Delete Post 
1 for the title: you forgot to capitalise the words "soooo", "what", "do", "people", "think" and "moi" in the title, and an ellipsis has three dots; preferably, you'd drop the French word to, and just stick with the 1st-person-object-pronoun, "me".

As an idea for a thread, 2. As a screenname, 3. As a friend, 9.5 on my part. You're a part of Hatrack that cannot be taken away.

Edit: What the bugger is wrong with the "a" button on my keyboard?!

[ August 23, 2005, 05:04 PM: Message edited by: Jonathan Howard ]

Posts: 2978 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sid Meier
Member # 6965

[Blushing]
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

- posted      Profile for Jonathan Howard   Email Jonathan Howard         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't blush at me! It freaks me out, I make you 9.4 now as a friend. There are different types of friends, keep yourself in proportion!

[Razz]

Posts: 2978 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MidnightBlue
Member # 6146

- posted      Profile for MidnightBlue   Email MidnightBlue         Edit/Delete Post 
I've noticed that you start a lot of threads. Not saying it's good or bad, it's just something I've noticed.
Posts: 1547 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 5897

- posted      Profile for Phanto           Edit/Delete Post 
You have a lot of charisma. Very hard to talk to you; you are intimidating, sometimes.
Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sid Meier
Member # 6965

Woah I that's not the first time I noticed that, at COllege one of my friends said I have this habbit of ending a conversation just like that. *snaps fingers* apparently she said I'ld make a good politician.

So ya, intimidating though... How so?

Λαβύρινθος
Member # 8534

- posted      Profile for Λαβύρινθος   Email Λαβύρινθος         Edit/Delete Post 
You're a politician. It comes naturally.
Posts: 43 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Sid, naif that I am, I never heard of Sid Meier. Is that a real famous person? Who knew? Oh, apparently everyone but me. What is he famous for?

So you're a fan? That's okiedoke. I'm a fan of Stephen Hawking, but I would never think of taking his name as my own. I am my own original person, with my own original persona.

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sid Meier
Member # 6965

Sid Meier is the creator of the Civilization computer game series and dozens of other games. And since I love games as well and have played alot of them I can at least give a good opinion and hold my own in a discussion.
Λαβύρινθος
Member # 8534

- posted      Profile for Λαβύρινθος   Email Λαβύρινθος         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I am my own original person, with my own original persona.
So you say. [Razz]
Posts: 43 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

Yeah, I do say. Are you implying otherwise?
Λαβύρινθος
Member # 8534

Me? Implying? [i]Ne[/i[]vah!

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.