FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » I'm barely getting to read red prophet

Author Topic: I'm barely getting to read red prophet
ShadowPuppet
Member # 8239

- posted      Profile for ShadowPuppet   Email ShadowPuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
so my school library just recently purchased all of the alvin maker series to date

I was thrilled as I'm too poor to buy them myself

so I'm not too far into it yet but I noticed something interesting

something I already knew but just noticed...if that makes sense

when general bonaparte is meeting with the other french gentlemen they mention the fighting style of the americans

I'm not going to quote word for word

but they talked about how you could be in a farmer's house one minute and not find any soldiers

but then leave the house and find yourself being shot at from the trees not knowing if it was the same farmer or not

they mentioned how they couldn't tell their opposition from the everyday people

sound familier?

I found a striking similarity between the americans style of fighting then (based on fact, during the revolutionary war that is how america fought but you probably already knew that)

and what we're seeing by the iraqi militants now

sure americans never resulted to bombing anything and everything that might remotely harm their enemies

but then again if we would have had the explosive technology would we have sent suicide bombers in the name of freedom and democracy?

I'm not really making any certain point about this

not taking sides
just found an interesting connection to current events

thought I'd share

so please tell me what you think

P.S. this probably belongs in the other forum but I already typed it so the powers that govern us may move it if they want

Posts: 83 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shawshank
Member # 8453

- posted      Profile for Shawshank   Email Shawshank         Edit/Delete Post 
Well it's true. It's called guerilla warfare.
Posts: 980 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shawshank
Member # 8453

- posted      Profile for Shawshank   Email Shawshank         Edit/Delete Post 
That was also a major problem in Vietnam. It's not like its an uncommon thing.
Posts: 980 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Soara
Member # 6729

- posted      Profile for Soara   Email Soara         Edit/Delete Post 
red prophet is scary. [Angst]
Posts: 464 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The New Revolution
Member # 8283

- posted      Profile for The New Revolution   Email The New Revolution         Edit/Delete Post 
Here is how it works: big countries(american now/vietnam era, britain/france during revolution) have more people, more tech, therefore need more dicipline and fight conventionally. This style is uneffective against fluid, changing adaptable guerilla strategy that is used by small, poor countries who cannot win by force. We see this in Iraq and we saw it in vietnam. We saw it when Ender became a commander and when the buggers beat the entire human fleet with COLONIZING SHIPS, so i think osc and many others also understand this concept, if not our military leader, although we are doing much better in Iraq than we did in Vietnam.
Posts: 31 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
Exactly. When you've got a small, poorly trained and poorly equipped fighting force, you just can't afford to fight a conventional military opponent on his own terms. You have to be craftier than that, or he'll steamroll over you in no time. It's been going on all throughout history; the Iraqi insurgents did not invent guerrilla warfare. They're simply using the only strategy available to them that even has the hope of potential success, just like underpowered militants have done for centuries.
Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheSeeingHand
Member # 8349

- posted      Profile for TheSeeingHand   Email TheSeeingHand         Edit/Delete Post 
"red prophet is scary. [Angst] "

You can say that again. That's why I LOVE that one.

Shadowpuppet- As I read that part I was thinking the exact same thing. Weird.

Posts: 161 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.