FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Oh my gosh!!!!!!!!! (SotG spoilers)

Author Topic: Oh my gosh!!!!!!!!! (SotG spoilers)
lego feet
Member # 8093

- posted      Profile for lego feet   Email lego feet         Edit/Delete Post 
Peter and Petra married. Unbelievable.

Even though it was just for the children...

WOW.

This gives me hope.

Posts: 39 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
neo-dragon
Member # 7168

- posted      Profile for neo-dragon           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think it was just for the children. After all, they made some more with each other, and Petra did say that she loved both Bean and Peter.
Posts: 1569 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
I am quite certain it was not just for the children.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

- posted      Profile for Orson Scott Card           Edit/Delete Post 
Me too. They were normal human beings, hungry for love; they spent time together, respected each other, KNEW each other, served each other. The only BARRIER was Bean's fear of passing along his genetic condition; otherwise, it was as sound a foundation for marriage as one can imagine.
Posts: 2005 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EndertheJedi
Member # 7889

- posted      Profile for EndertheJedi   Email EndertheJedi         Edit/Delete Post 
I wasnt surprised when I founf out that they were married cause OSc set it up perfectly.but if someonr told me befor I reead any of the books other than Enders game I would have been suprised. Up until the end when Ender started planet hopping I always thought that he and petra would get together. bean and petra also made sence because of the build up through thge series. but if she could have married ender than why not the next best thing in peter especially since his character mellowed alot in the shadow series.form a violent mildly Psychotic seeming charctyer bent on ruling the world to a mildly ambitios cllege syudent who wants to sovle all the worlds problems and actually has the intelligence for a decent try.
What is a tad ironic though is that correct me if Im wrong but Petra is the femine form of Pete. they both have the same name and trhen they get married.

Posts: 26 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jacob Calder
Member # 7945

- posted      Profile for Jacob Calder           Edit/Delete Post 
I was kind of surprised, but once I thought about it, it made perfect sence, especially with what Peter's mother told Bean in Shadow of the Hegemon. With both of their ambition, Peter probably was the only one for Petra aside from Bean or Ender.

I was hoping in Shadow of the Giant that there might be more of a reaction from Ender when he spoke to Peter. I know Ender was beginning his role as Speaker of the Dead, but considering how little of time had passed for him, Ender seemed very removed from everything, but much of Peter's life involved people very dear to Ender, especially Petra.

Posts: 14 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jacob Calder
Member # 7945

- posted      Profile for Jacob Calder           Edit/Delete Post 
I was kind of surprised, but once I thought about it, it made perfect sence, especially with what Peter's mother told Bean in Shadow of the Hegemon. With both of their ambition, Peter probably was the only one for Petra aside from Bean or Ender.

I was hoping in Shadow of the Giant that there might be more of a reaction from Ender when he spoke to Peter. I know Ender was beginning his role as Speaker of the Dead, but considering how little of time had passed for him, Ender seemed very removed from everything, but much of Peter's life involved people very dear to Ender, especially Petra.

Posts: 14 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EndertheJedi
Member # 7889

- posted      Profile for EndertheJedi   Email EndertheJedi         Edit/Delete Post 
well , to be honest i think that in real life ENder would have asked after Bean or pettra mrore if he new that Peter was deeply involved with them workwise and such, but he may not have been told that bean and peter worked together or that peter married pertra. he prolly did but maybe not. you also have to remeber that since alot of the talk that peter had with ender had to match up between Shadow of the hegemon and enders game. not all of it but most of it anyway.
Posts: 26 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Catseye1979
Member # 5560

- posted      Profile for Catseye1979   Email Catseye1979         Edit/Delete Post 
I always figured that Ender did keep tabs on all his friends, it just wasn't mentioned in the book. He probly knew a great deal of what happened with most his battle school friends but since it wasn't importanted to what he did later it wasn't mentioned.
Posts: 147 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KEGE
Member # 424

- posted      Profile for KEGE   Email KEGE         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought it was a wonderful pairing - Peter and Petra!

I loved the way the reader finally realized that Peter loved Petra right at the same time that Petra did - when she realized that the note from Bean that Peter read aloud to her did NOT begin with "I love you".

Peter really has been the most complex character of the whole Ender/Shadow series. We hate him as a child and begin to respect him as an "adult" and finally come to care for him in SotG. Some day I will read them all in a row to experience the transformation more fully.

Posts: 874 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Silverdrop
Member # 8581

- posted      Profile for Silverdrop   Email Silverdrop         Edit/Delete Post 
I just finished Shadow of the Giant. I actually just stumbled upon the whole series a couple of weeks ago, so I was fortunate to be able to read them all in a row.
I was really happy for both Peter and Petra that they were able to love eachother. I feel they both deserved it and I love how Orson glosses over the end. He gives you a feel for their lives without getting into the boring details.

It's very late now, so maybe I'm too tired and I can't find the answer, but here it goes:
What is the next book? I saw something about a book with Mazer, and something about a book with Bean's 9th child that was shipped to a colony.

What about Bean?! I can't be the only one that wants to at least know if he survives, if there is ever a cure. Maybe it wouldn't even have enough to evolve into a story ... but I need the closure!
I really loved Bean and I was so grief striken when I read of his first thought of leaving Petra secretly. I almost wept. I understand the reasoning that was used, but if he's really only going to be in space for a short time (even a couple of years) the family could have stayed together. Petra ended up missing a year of the babies lives anyway. I know it had to be, but it still tore me up.

Ok, rambled. Good night ^^

Posts: 1 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dcabrera35
Member # 8574

- posted      Profile for dcabrera35   Email dcabrera35         Edit/Delete Post 
I find it hard to believe that Bean's not even 20 when he makes all these hard decisions.
Posts: 13 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KEGE
Member # 424

- posted      Profile for KEGE   Email KEGE         Edit/Delete Post 
Chronological age is not applicable to Bean.
Posts: 874 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
neo-dragon
Member # 7168

- posted      Profile for neo-dragon           Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, and even non-genetically enhanced kids sometimes have to face adult situations at a young age. Children can grow up pretty fast when they have no other choice, but then, that's pretty much a main theme of the Ender and Shadow books.
Posts: 1569 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0range7Penguin
Member # 7337

- posted      Profile for 0range7Penguin           Edit/Delete Post 
I find it suprising when you guys say you hated the EG Peter. In Peter I saw a troubled boy and young man but right in EG you start to find out why Peter was the way he was and that he hates those bad parts about himself. You are supposed to be skeptical but I think in a way Peter was actually opening up to Valentine when he talks about controlling himself and how he just had to have control. I find myself understanding Peter the character even in EG. We all have dark sides to our personalitys and in Peter we got to see that side of all of us reflected back at us.
Posts: 832 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.