FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » OSC Reviews Everything......except the Brothers Grimm?

Author Topic: OSC Reviews Everything......except the Brothers Grimm?
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
I was just wondering if anyone, perhaps Mr. Card, knows if OSC is going to review Terry Gilliam's latest film? I went and saw it, and I'd like to hear if OSC has something to say. I'm not suggesting that he has to go see it, review it, and say what I want him to or I'll do something extremely stupid. I'm just asking if OSC plans to review it.
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pelegius
Member # 7868

- posted      Profile for Pelegius           Edit/Delete Post 
When I saw Brothers, I thought he Grimm, but no. Big gap.
Posts: 1332 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged
Member # 7476

- posted      Profile for Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged   Email Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged         Edit/Delete Post 
Everthing Mr. Card reviews is on a couple week delay, I'm sure he'll review the movie in question...
Posts: 796 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

- posted      Profile for Orson Scott Card           Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, life is short, and since I know too much about the Grimm Bros. actual lives and achievements and the true sources of their fairy tales, the promos for the movie looked appalling, dishonest, exploitative, and stupid.

So no, I probably won't see it or review it. It's the kind of thing that I may watch later, in fragmentary fashion, on cable.

There IS a good movie in the Grimm Brothers lives, but it still looks like nobody's attempted it. And probably never will.

Posts: 2005 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
My roommate saw TGB and said it was incredibly weird. She could barely tell me about it through her throes of laughter. Sounds like dollar movie faire to me.
Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

- posted      Profile for kojabu           Edit/Delete Post 
It was indeed weird.

OSC, do you know if they created the gingerbread man or if that was someone else?

Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

- posted      Profile for Jonathan Howard   Email Jonathan Howard         Edit/Delete Post 
At least I think that the question and answer were stated very well each in its own right. Congrats to the two of you.

I feel hopeless.

Posts: 2978 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gr8fulreader
Member # 8538

- posted      Profile for gr8fulreader           Edit/Delete Post 
sounds intriguing: I guess I should do some research about Grimm Bros' lives. What an unlikelt thing for me to do! ;-)
Posts: 4 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puppy
Member # 6721

- posted      Profile for Puppy   Email Puppy         Edit/Delete Post 
My wife and I were really disappointed in the movie. The kind of disappointment you feel when you can tell that the idea and the story are both really good ... and the execution ruins both.

Though as someone who grew up in an author's house, I always raise an eyebrow at silly stories that take as their first assumption that an author of speculative fiction must have had firsthand experience with his subject matter. (How many stories have you seen in which H. G. Wells actully builds a time machine? WAY too many.)

Posts: 1539 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Destineer
Member # 821

- posted      Profile for Destineer           Edit/Delete Post 
I love every Gilliam movie I've ever seen, and I want to keep it that way. Thus I am avoiding Brothers Grimm.
Posts: 4600 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

- posted      Profile for Jonathan Howard   Email Jonathan Howard         Edit/Delete Post 
I love all Pythons.
Posts: 2978 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

- posted      Profile for Orson Scott Card           Edit/Delete Post 
I think Gilliam is brilliant. But I think he doesn't know how to end anything, and he goes for crazy rather than intelligible a few times too often. So I absolutely love long stretches of all his movies, and Time Bandits I simply flat-out love, but ... I have too much respect for the Brothers Grimm to want to see his treatment of them - at least judging from the promos and what I've heard.
Posts: 2005 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

I think that 12 Monkeys is one of his best. I watched it on tv, I can't watch R-rated films, and it blew me away. And Brad Pitt actually acted....well.

Anywho, I'm extremely ecstatic that my question was answered by Mr. Card, you if you are reading. It made my day.

Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
OSC, do you know if they created the gingerbread man or if that was someone else?
"Mr. Bun", predecessor to the famous gingerbread man, originated in Russia, I believe.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RunningBear
Member # 8477

- posted      Profile for RunningBear           Edit/Delete Post 
All I know is when I read the Brothers Grimm when I was about six years old it scared the bejeebies out of me. Its like horror for little kids. Wonderful, but they would never make the stories into movie form. I am assuming the stories have somehing to do with the movie.
Posts: 883 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephan
Member # 7549

- posted      Profile for Stephan   Email Stephan         Edit/Delete Post 
I got the impression watching Brothers Grimm that the whoever put the final cut together could not decide where they wanted to go with the movie. I loved the premise and the opening. Certain aspects of the movie later felt as if they couldn't decide if they wanted it to be a kids movie, or a horror movie. The second half of the movie lost my interest.

Also were Little Red Riding Hood and Jack and the Beanstalk even written by the Brothers Grimm?

Posts: 3134 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blackthorne
Member # 8295

- posted      Profile for Blackthorne   Email Blackthorne         Edit/Delete Post 
I was tempted to leave the movie early, but, unfortunately, I resisted the urge. It was too random and senseless in the storytelling. There was no explanation for anything that happens, and it tries to hard to get a laugh almost every scene. A movie about the Brother's Grimm should either be geared strictly horror oriented or (better choice) give explanations to the origins of their more popular stories and present them in a "Return to Neverland"ish way.
Posts: 60 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

I just got 12 Monkeys, directed by Gilliam, on DVD. I love that movie.
Hamson
Member # 7808

- posted      Profile for Hamson   Email Hamson         Edit/Delete Post 
The Brother's Grimm was an absolutely terrible movie. The plot made no sense whatsoever, and the whole mood of the movie itself wasn't very appealing. Like Blackthorne said, the storytelling was too random and senseless, and there ISN'T an explanation for anything that happens. The only time I laughed was when something happened that was just like.... wtf? And it was like a confused, randomness sorta laugh, like, why would that happen?

In fact, the movie did look terrible from the previews, and I never had the intention of going to see it, the only reason I did was because a friend I hadn't seen in a year or so invited me to go along, and quite frankly, nothing else playing in the theater looked appealing either.

Posts: 879 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.