FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » What slipups.com has to say about EG.

Author Topic: What slipups.com has to say about EG.
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

- posted      Profile for Stone_Wolf_           Edit/Delete Post 
Link.

quote:
Warning, This Slip-up will spoil a minor part in the Plot.
The Battle school trains its students on Hand to Hand or "Melee" combat. Why are they teaching Hand to Hand combat, when all of the Bugger fights happen in Spaceships? Isn't that called "Missile" combat?
But, aside from that, "Ender's Game" is one of the best Books ever

At least they say that part at the end about best books ever.
Posts: 6683 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheSeeingHand
Member # 8349

- posted      Profile for TheSeeingHand   Email TheSeeingHand         Edit/Delete Post 
WTF? They teach them hand-to-hand combat? They use those gun-things and suits in the battleroom.

If they teach melee it must like, a side course type of thing. And besides, according the the histories, the Buggers would board people's ships and fight them hand-to-hand. Remember!?

Posts: 161 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
calaban
Member # 2516

- posted      Profile for calaban   Email calaban         Edit/Delete Post 
Any form of combat can teach you something about another. Anyway as I recall it was an option to take the hand to hand combat classes. I think poeple getting nitpicky about things that may not even be an issue is an artless conceit.

[ September 03, 2005, 09:06 AM: Message edited by: calaban ]

Posts: 686 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheSeeingHand
Member # 8349

- posted      Profile for TheSeeingHand   Email TheSeeingHand         Edit/Delete Post 
"I think poeple getting nitpicky about things that may not even be an issue is an artless conceit."

I second that.

Posts: 161 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
aren't you guys getting nitpicky over that little part of the article?
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
um, Ender only took a hand-to-hand combat course because he was fearing for his life. He ordered vids--that's hardly 'taking a class' on it. (is nitpicky).

Or am I missing something? [Confused]

Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
I believe that the point was to teach them to think in three dimensions when they're used to thinking in two.

Try playing Homeworld for the first time after playing games like CNC. It's hard.

--j_k

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
calaban
Member # 2516

- posted      Profile for calaban   Email calaban         Edit/Delete Post 
descent -Best Game Ever-

hehe. I love homeworld as well.

What's quoted above is not an article so much as a post, it seems that the site it originated from is a forum rather than somthing like IMDB.

I think reading new fiction is a lot more fun than scouring the fiction I've read for the inevitable descrepancies that a work produced by someone delightfully human probably contain.

Edited because I persist in dropping the 'e' from someone. heh.

Posts: 686 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
It's an elective.

Guess what: they have boxing at the US Naval Academy as well. For all the times sailors will have to use their fists to subdue their enemies. [Smile]

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SpEeDMaSTeR
Member # 7568

- posted      Profile for SpEeDMaSTeR   Email SpEeDMaSTeR         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by sarcasticmuppet:
um, Ender only took a hand-to-hand combat course because he was fearing for his life. He ordered vids--that's hardly 'taking a class' on it. (is nitpicky).

Or am I missing something? [Confused]

Ender took an elective class in hand to hand fighting, as did Bonzo Madrid. He chose to take a melee fighting class simply because he feared for his own physical safety, though the class was clearly offered for another reason. In the book it states that Ender watched the vids of the first and second invasions as the soldiers boarded the bugger ships and fought with them, or in the case of Mazer Rackham's victory, entering ships where the buggers were all entirely dead or lifeless.
Posts: 62 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.