FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Order of which?

Author Topic: Order of which?
trance
Member # 6623

- posted      Profile for trance   Email trance         Edit/Delete Post 
I could personally care less about the new fantasy series. There has only been two fantasy books that I've ever liked and I never even finished reading them. One of these was "the redemtion of althalas" by eddings. I even forget what the other one was called. (that bad....) I'm more into the futuristic books like "altered carbon" and is why I'm waiting for the next enderverse book. Anyone know whether its the mazer book or the new ender book or the "shadow's in flight" book thats supposed to come next?
Posts: 112 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lord Jono
Member # 8575

- posted      Profile for Lord Jono   Email Lord Jono         Edit/Delete Post 
Arbitrarily dismissing a whole genre offhand is a bit extreme isn't it? Especially one that by very defination is dynnamic, innovative and explores new territory..
Posts: 10 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trance
Member # 6623

I see your point...I do love Final Fantasy and I always have loved the concept of exploring new territory but its just no author's writing style nor story-line has pulled me in. I don't got time to waste reading a book that doesn't interest me by the third chapter. I do infact hope that Card deliveres what other authors couldn't do for me. Maybe I'm looking at all the wrong books. Could also be that I'm just a gadgits kinda guy!
Posts: 112 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

- posted      Profile for Orson Scott Card           Edit/Delete Post 
If somebody doesn't like fantasy, he doesn't like fantasy. In which case, he shouldn't read mine, because mine will also be fantasy <grin>.

At the same time, I do appreciate all the people who "hate science fiction" but read Ender's Game anyway and gave it a chance to change their minds. Many of them did change their minds. They just hadn't read the right sci-fi up to that point <grin>.

Maybe it'll be that way for you and fantasy, too.

Posts: 2005 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blackthorne
Member # 8295

- posted      Profile for Blackthorne   Email Blackthorne         Edit/Delete Post 
I generally don't express my opinions on the many genres I know little about. If I have the time, I try to read as broadly as I can, but I have a hard time branching out. It just feels more comfortable staying with certain authors and styles you're used to. I'm not proud of my lack of depth, but it's just the way I am.

For a long time I stuck exclusively with fantasy novels and a few of those massive series with short novels (Animorphs). Despite this fault, I eventually pushed myself into the sci-fi world through Ender's Game. From there I went on to read most of the other books by OSC. I'm actually very glad at how much variety there is with OSC's books because I have found many books by other authors that I would not have read, had I not read books like Enchantment, Magic Street, Alvin Maker, and even Stone Tables.

Posts: 60 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Omega M.
Member # 7924

- posted      Profile for Omega M.           Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I "could personally care less about the new fantasy series" because I distinctly remember "Sandmagic" as being one of my least favorite stories in Maps in a Mirror. It was just clunky to read. (No offense.) I mean, I'm sure the new series will be better written than "Sandmagic," but I didn't jump up and down when I heard that the series was going to be related to that story. Maybe if the novel that "The Changed Man and the King of Words" was trying to be were in the offing...
Posts: 781 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0range7Penguin
Member # 7337

- posted      Profile for 0range7Penguin           Edit/Delete Post 
How could you not like Sandmagic? Sure it was a bit clunky but the premise was great!
Posts: 832 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trance
Member # 6623

That may just be the case Card.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.