FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » I'm not sure how this works, but...

Author Topic: I'm not sure how this works, but...
Joshua Newberry
Member # 7864

- posted      Profile for Joshua Newberry   Email Joshua Newberry         Edit/Delete Post 
I was wondering, Mr. Card, if you allowed people to read aloud short stories of yours at public readings (not for any monetary compensation) and if so, if I could read your short story "Damn Fine Novel" at the next such event I attend?

The reason for the pick is that so MANY of the writers do exactly what you are parodying in the story, and I can't think of any better way to give the criticism than the story you've penned. I know I can't yet top it, certainly.

Posts: 57 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trance
Member # 6623

- posted      Profile for trance   Email trance         Edit/Delete Post 
???????????
Posts: 112 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Szymon
Member # 7103

- posted      Profile for Szymon   Email Szymon         Edit/Delete Post 
yeah ???
Posts: 723 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
You might try sending a direct email through this site's Help Desk.
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

- posted      Profile for Orson Scott Card           Edit/Delete Post 
The LAW is that you have to have permission for a public performance.

But reading aloud at home or in a writing group or some other more or less limited setting, where nobody is getting paid for doing the reading, is generally regarded as "fair use" or "not worth suing" <grin>.

But please consider that you HAVE my permission to read the story, though I suggest bleeping a couple of words that I use precisely for the humor in their shock value in this particular case.

If they pay you for it, though, I get half <grin>.

Posts: 2005 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joshua Newberry
Member # 7864

- posted      Profile for Joshua Newberry   Email Joshua Newberry         Edit/Delete Post 
I was planning to bleep words, seeing as it IS a family-oriented event. Thanks for your permission.

(You should come to one at some point and give a reading. It'd be cool, and I could take you to a couple awesome restaurants in the Clemson area of upstate South Carolina.)

And the split would be 80-20, majority to you.

Posts: 57 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.