FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » audible.com and the mistery of the disapearing books

Author Topic: audible.com and the mistery of the disapearing books
chuck7
Member # 8645

- posted      Profile for chuck7   Email chuck7         Edit/Delete Post 
This may not be the right place, but I thought I would ask here as well as at audible. Any idea why some of OCS's books keep disapearing from audible? Quite a while back, after I had first listened to Enders Game and Speaker for the Dead, I noticed that Xenocide and Cilderen of the Mind were on audible, but by the time my subscription renewed, they had disapered.

Now I have finished up both that series and the Shadow series, and I wanted to start the Alvin Maker serise. Last month they were all there. Now, only one single Alvin Maker book is avalible.

Whats going on here? Are they on vacation? Did all of the Maker series win a trip to Jamaca, but they decided to leave number VI back to watch the house?

Posts: 17 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tmservo
Member # 8552

- posted      Profile for tmservo   Email tmservo         Edit/Delete Post 
BTW, Children of the Mind and Xenocide are still there.. just search for "Orson Scott Card"

As well as Ender's Game 20th Anniversary Audiobook.

But Audible does occassionally "rotate" titles that are available to download.

Posts: 202 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
andi330
Member # 8572

- posted      Profile for andi330           Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I just bought those two. Also they just got Ender's Shadow Unabridged! Until recently they only had the abridged version.
Posts: 1214 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

- posted      Profile for Orson Scott Card           Edit/Delete Post 
I have no idea. i've never visited Audible.com as far as I remember. I'm not sure when or whether I even gave consent for any of my work to appear there. Fortunately, my agent handles contracts and her files remember things that I've forgotten.
Posts: 2005 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tmservo
Member # 8552

OSC-

I certainly hope it's by consent! I purchased every single one of your audiobooks available there [Smile]

BTW, I like your audio-book "afterwards" where you discuss the book. Your discussion regarding making EG a "buddy" movie by combining EG / ES as a single movie.. is that theory still the current prevailing one?

Posts: 202 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chuck7
Member # 8645

- posted      Profile for chuck7   Email chuck7         Edit/Delete Post 
Update, I have not gotten any more solid infromation on this, but I THINK I know what is happening. When Childeren of the Mind and Xenocide disappeared, they came back in unabriged form. So I am hopeing that the same thing is happening with the Alvin series. The only book that is still avalible is the unabridged version of Cristal City. So I hope that when the unabriged versions of the earlyer books are done, they will show back up on audible.
Posts: 17 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tmservo
Member # 8552

Audible.Com informed me a few months ago that it is trying to carry primarily unabridged books, unless requested otherwise because that is what most of the paying customers want.

I admit, I prefer audiobooks in this format. Download, have a single file that plays from your Ipod/PocketPC, and sit and listen for 12 hours at a stint with no changing of discs, etc. Makes things beautiful. Definitely made our drive to Florida this summer a lot easier [Wink]

DalenMel
Member # 8679

- posted      Profile for DalenMel   Email DalenMel         Edit/Delete Post 
Mr. Card.

I'm Glad they are there. Have purchased the entire Ender and Shadow series this way. I Travel a lot in my work and your Audible books are a blessing.

It's really a great site for people to buy audible books.

Posts: 2 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tmservo
Member # 8552

The fact that you can get a whole book, unbroken (whereas a CD or tape you're changing them) stored on your Ipod or PocketPC and just play it straight through with no breaks, no need to fiddle with anything.. it is the way audiobooks should be delivered.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.